The Christine Car Club

Not a member of the CCC? Come on in and register...membership is FREE!

Dedicated To The Restoration And Maintenance Of The 1957-1958 Plymouth

HomeCalendarFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Happy Anniversary CCC!
Latest topics
» steerting coulmns solutions?
Yesterday at 7:30 pm by 57belv

» An Unlikely Teacher
Yesterday at 11:44 am by Christopher L. Faddis Usn

» Edna's Roland LeBay
Mon May 21, 2018 7:29 pm by Serge

» Hustler stick
Thu May 03, 2018 7:37 pm by Serge

» 58 Front Liscense Plate brackets
Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:47 pm by cooltoys1

» Dual Quad (GC) 350: Progressive or Parallel
Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:41 am by Bloodhound1958

» No Regrets
Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:10 pm by eva_392

» Wanted 57-58
Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:06 am by 58belvedere

» hi chasing 58 4 door hardtop rh front vent window frame
Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:19 am by 57belv

» I was wandering around a swap
Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:22 pm by JAG

John Carpenter Shout Out!
Alexandra Paul Shout Out!
Christine Movie Soundtrack
Youtube Filmscore Mix
Share | 

Steering wheel

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Arnie1964
CCC Member
CCC Member

"Badass" Poly 318!

PostSubject: Steering wheel   Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:41 am

HArbor freight makes this puller and sells for $9.99. I bought one this week. Eastwood makes repair kits for your wheel if you want to try yourself.
http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/162.cfm

Back to top Go down
58plym
CCC Member
CCC Member

Big Block 440 One Bad azz Machine

PostSubject: Re: Steering wheel   Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:25 am

Everybody that ever works on a car needs a steering wheel puller, they sure come in handy, You can also use them for a harmonic balencer also, that is where I use mine the most.

I broke my origenal steering wheel while drasg racing, guess it took off so fastit just broke. As you all probly know I am not a putest, so I bought me a real nice after market for 300.00 I love it and it is smaller , Don't need that big ol wheel for racing, Hee! Hee!

"THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER
Back to top Go down
Arnie1964
CCC Member
CCC Member

"Badass" Poly 318!

PostSubject: Re: Steering wheel   Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:53 am

Yea. When I was a kid I had to pull a few and had no puller. Made up things and drilled holes to get them off. Hit myself in the forehead once trying to beat one off with a hammer. The all around tool. Hee! Hee! So much easier when you have the tool. Prob made in China but for the couple of times most hobby people are going to use it it will do the job.
Back to top Go down
Big M
Administrator
Administrator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

ELITE GOLDEN COMMANDO CONTRIBUTOR

Big Block 361

PostSubject: Re: Steering wheel   Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:18 pm

Reminds me of something I had happen back in the seventies-

My first car was a '56 Chebby [sorry for spoiling your day, Bob] and there was a guy in Detroit parting out a '55, and I needed a lot of parts. He was located in a really bad part of town, and being from a 98% caucasian area I was a bit concerned.

No worries. the fellow parting the car out was one of the nicest guys I met in a long time! He lent me some tools I needed, but did not have a steering wheel puller. He told me the trick was to grab both sides of the wheel, put my feet against the dash, and pull as hard as I could to get it off.

Well, I tried this, the wheel was looser than I thought, it came right off, and tossed me back over the front seat topsy turvy! Just then I looked up, and the seller's mother started busting up laughing, and I couldn't help but to do the same. She invited me in for lunch, and then I finished with the car.

He only charged me $25 for the sack of parts that I bought from him too.

---John

CCC Member
CCC Member

"Badass" Poly 318!

PostSubject: Re: Steering wheel   Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:15 pm

Hee! Hee! You know John you bring back a memory for me just a couple of years back. I decided I was going to do a little dirt track racing again. Drew the pole. Coming down the front stretch to the green flag and I droped the hammer and grabed the wheel. Steering wheel came off in my hands as I had forgot to give it a couple of pulls after I got strapped in and set the steering wheel. My eyes must of been as big as silver dollars as I had no control of the car heading into turn one with the pack breathing down my neck. I hit the brakes. We always had the left front tight and the right front disconnected. Pulled me right into the guard rail.

Hee! Hee!

Back to top Go down
58plym
CCC Member
CCC Member

Big Block 440 One Bad azz Machine

PostSubject: Re: Steering wheel   Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:34 pm

Dang John and Jim both great stories, I have or had three good heavy duty pullers I should call mins a harmonic balencer puller because I don't pull a steering wheel that much. But they are a must when yuouneed one. Beats the old technique John is talking about.

Mine was about the same way but I can;t tell you how I done it, It has been a long time but you have to figure out a way to giver the end of the shast with the nut flujsh and whak it with a big hammer, But the puller works a whole lot better.

Las time I pulled a balencer off it was in the car and getting it back on far enough to get the crankshaft bolt started I whnacked it with a big shot hammer and someway I had my thumb in there and it owed a lot. Very Happy

"THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER
Back to top Go down

Steering wheel

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Christine Car Club :: Christine Car Club Tech Section :: Steering and Suspension:-