The Christine Car Club

Not a member of the CCC? Come on in and register...membership is FREE!

Dedicated To The Restoration And Maintenance Of The 1957-1958 Plymouth

HomeCalendarFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Happy Anniversary CCC!
Latest topics
»  Electronic Distributor with 301ci
Yesterday at 4:03 pm by Jurrasic car

» Installing rebuilt 318
Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:21 pm by eva_392

» Our Loss Is Their Gain
Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:20 pm by 57belv

» Christianity 101
Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:18 pm by furvedere

» Photobucket House Cleaning
Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:07 pm by Bloodhound1958

» 58 Front Liscense Plate brackets
Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:37 pm by cooltoys1

» Front End Rebuild
Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:54 pm by 58belvedere

» Well, I did it, I got a 58!!!!!
Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:13 pm by Bloodhound1958

» How to Post Pictures
Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:21 am by Bloodhound1958

» He Changes Everything
Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:09 pm by furvedere

John Carpenter Shout Out!
Alexandra Paul Shout Out!
Christine Movie Soundtrack
Youtube Filmscore Mix
Share | 

I need Flathead 6 info Please

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Runtaz
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: I need Flathead 6 info Please   Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:44 am

Hi guys,
When I bought my 57 Plymouth 2 years ago, she had already been restored. She came with all the receipts which totaled almost 9000.00 The paperwork from engine rebuild shows she has a 260 ci Flathead 6.

Now to make this as short as possible, I saw some rust around the base of spark plugs, and decided to take her to well known mechanic for a simple tune up. She was running fine when I took her there, she started good, had lots of power in first and second gear, I just thought she may need some plugs and points.

The mechanic replaced the plugs, points, and cap, set the timing, and said he adjusted the card cause it looked like she was running a little rich. Well when I got her back she ran HORRIBLE....No power in fist or second gear, she shook all over while idling, and was hard to start after cooling off. I took her back and told him man, something is very wrong. He took her back in, said he re-gaped the plugs and reset the timing, and shes running good. He said he had used the wrong set of specs. He also said there was no 260Cid. only a 230 and a 265.5

I drove her, and she did run better, but was still not near as good as before the tuneup. I took her back, and he hooked her to a machine that reads everything and said its right, and he's not fooling with her anymore.
We went a few rounds of words and he told me to find another mechanic for ALL my cars.

So I guess my questions are: Is he right? was there no 260 ci, and do you guys think that him leaning out the carb could be the cause of this loss of power she now has? If she is a 260 ci could anyone give me the correct plug and point gap, and timing specs. and which way do I turn the carb screw to make the card run richer?

I am at a loss, don't know what to do, I just want her running back the way she was. ANY HELP OR ADVICE you guys can give, I will be thankful for. Sorry the post is so long, just needed to tell the whole story.

THANKS AGAIN
Larry

Back to top Go down
Arnie1964
CCC Member
CCC Member

"Badass" Poly 318!

PostSubject: Re: I need Flathead 6 info Please   Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:21 am

If you have a 57-58 or 59 six in this car it should be a 230 cubic inch engine. Before you go any farther I would first get the engine numbers off the block and see what you have. If it is a flat six from these years it should be a 230 cu in. Points and plugs and timing on these things are pretty simple. My guess would be the carb adj made is whats making her run rough. I don't have my repair manual here with me or I would give you the specs for that engine but first verify you have that engine. For a 57 engine Blocks left front corner you should have a P30 followed by a number stanped into the block.

CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: I need Flathead 6 info Please   Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:31 am

Thanks for your reply, I'll get dressed and go get the numbers now.

Thanks again,

Larry
Back to top Go down
Runtaz
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: I need Flathead 6 info Please   Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:51 am

The numbers stamped on the engine are P30 544I6A I saw the body tag number as well, its 102-9791 don't know if you meeded it but I wrote it down anyways

Thanks
Larry
Back to top Go down
Arnie1964
CCC Member
CCC Member

"Badass" Poly 318!

PostSubject: Re: I need Flathead 6 info Please   Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:57 am

P 30 says it is a 1957 230 cu in engine. Tune up specs were the same for 57-59 on these engines.

Spark plug gap .035
Points gap .o20
Dwell angle 39
Firing order 1-5-3-6-2-4
Ing timing 2 deg before top dead center.

Hope this helps you out.

Administrator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

ELITE GOLDEN COMMANDO CONTRIBUTOR

Big Block 361

PostSubject: Re: I need Flathead 6 info Please   Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:48 pm

You need to find a qualified mechanic, the one you have does not sound interested at all in giving you decent work for your money.

These six cylinder cars are very straight forward, find an oldtimer that still does tune-ups with a vacuum gauge and oscilloscope, rather than a computer tech.

---John

CCC Member
CCC Member

Big Block 440 One Bad azz Machine

PostSubject: Re: I need Flathead 6 info Please   Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:42 pm

Yea John has this right, Need to have a guy from the old school. Heck You know you have your gapping tool for the points and plugs, most everything else you do by ear, I never did use a timing light in the earlyh years, Hve to now because I have a hearing loss.

I don't know why. I was in the Army Artillery for close to 7 years, Raced cars for 50 years , Rode Harleys for 15 20 years, worked in noisy factorys, Just can't understand why I can't hear as good as I used to' Hee! Hee!

"THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER
Back to top Go down
Runtaz
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: I need Flathead 6 info Please   Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:31 pm

THANK ALL OF YOU..............THIS IS A HUGE HELP......

I was gonna do this simple tuneup myself to begin with, but I could not find any local shops that had the points or cap. YOU"ALL ARE RIGHT!!! I will not be taking her back there ever again. Its amazing that a 5 star garage could not do a simple old fashion tuneup, and then get mad cause they could not get it right. I really wish he would not have messed with the carb. Its a carter single barrel with only one adjustment screw, so I think I can get her back to where she was. I'll adjust and drive, and just and drive till I get that power back in first and second gear. But first I'll check the specs on everything else, I'm gonna rent a timing light from auto zone so I think I'm all set.

Thanks for the specs, and engine conformation. And I'm sorry about your hearing, I remember my dad adjusting the timing by ear, he was good with the old cars too. He also worked in a factory for 30 years, and lost alot of his hearing. He is 70years old now, and my wife and I are taking care of him.

Thanks again to everyone,

Larry
Back to top Go down
58plym
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: I need Flathead 6 info Please   Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:15 pm

Runtaz wrote:
THANK ALL OF YOU..............THIS IS A HUGE HELP......

I was gonna do this simple tuneup myself to begin with, but I could not find any local shops that had the points or cap. YOU"ALL ARE RIGHT!!! I will not be taking her back there ever again. Its amazing that a 5 star garage could not do a simple old fashion tuneup, and then get mad cause they could not get it right. I really wish he would not have messed with the carb. Its a carter single barrel with only one adjustment screw, so I think I can get her back to where she was. I'll adjust and drive, and just and drive till I get that power back in first and second gear. But first I'll check the specs on everything else, I'm gonna rent a timing light from auto zone so I think I'm all set.

Thanks for the specs, and engine conformation. And I'm sorry about your hearing, I remember my dad adjusting the timing by ear, he was good with the old cars too. He also worked in a factory for 30 years, and lost alot of his hearing. He is 70years old now, and my wife and I are taking care of him.

Thanks again to everyone,

Larry

Larry I am 70 years old myself but guess I am fortuate to be in faily good shape. I still do all myh own engine pulling and tranny and build my own engines. It will be oe of my sadest days when I can not drag race again.

He didn't tear the carb apart did he. I have a feeling it is in the timing, Just remember you will need to take your Vacum advance line off while you are timing it. Been a long time since I worked on a flat head plymouth engine. Was probly back in the 60's and on ther 50 or 51 0r 52 engines. Smile

Back to top Go down
Runtaz
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: I need Flathead 6 info Please   Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:33 pm

I'm so glad to hear you are still able to do all of that. I think if my dad would have stayed more active after he retired, he would have kept his health. My mom died the year he retired, and he just lost interest in everything. So keep going as long as you can, theres always people like me that can use the knowledge and the tricks you've learned over the years.

Like taking off the vacuum advance lines before timing it.......you just saved me right there!!

Thank You Sir,

Larry
Back to top Go down
58plym
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: I need Flathead 6 info Please   Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:04 pm

Larry anytime just call on me I will be glad to help if I can. I lost my Dad in 1975 at the age of 60 years, He suffered about 29 years or more with Crippling Arthritas , I wish I would have more years with him , I was in the Army most of the 60;s so that took me away from him for qite a long time. I have good memorys of him. He was a great dad. Smile

Back to top Go down
christineuk1
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: I need Flathead 6 info Please   Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:13 pm

Just a quick thought. I had horrible trouble with my 230 running rough after tune up. Turned out to be crap quality points and condenser. Put the old parts (how old I cannot guess!) back in and hey presto, ran fine. NOS parts are usually better than risking chinese crap.
Back to top Go down
58plym
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: I need Flathead 6 info Please   Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:19 pm

Dean is that you??????????????

Back to top Go down
christineuk1
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: I need Flathead 6 info Please   Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:25 pm

Haha, yep I think so Bob Smile
Back to top Go down
58plym
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: I need Flathead 6 info Please   Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:12 pm

christineuk1 wrote:
Haha, yep I think so Bob Smile
Glad to see you or hear from you. Welcome back, Sorry I gave your smiley to some Kid from NY Hee! Hee! Will haver to find you another one Smile

Back to top Go down
christineuk1
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: I need Flathead 6 info Please   Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:19 pm

WHAT!!!!!!!!! :face:

Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down

I need Flathead 6 info Please

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Christine Car Club :: Christine Car Club Tech Section :: Engine, Exhaust, Fuel and Ignition:-