The Christine Car Club

Not a member of the CCC? Come on in and register...membership is FREE!

Dedicated To The Restoration And Maintenance Of The 1957-1958 Plymouth

HomeCalendarFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Happy Anniversary CCC!
Latest topics
» hard to find
Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:59 am by Jurrasic car

» BRAKE LAMP SWITCH LOCATION?
Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:30 pm by GOREDFURY

»  Electronic Distributor with 301ci
Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:03 pm by Jurrasic car

» Installing rebuilt 318
Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:21 pm by eva_392

» Our Loss Is Their Gain
Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:20 pm by 57belv

» Christianity 101
Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:18 pm by furvedere

» Photobucket House Cleaning
Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:07 pm by Bloodhound1958

» 58 Front Liscense Plate brackets
Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:37 pm by cooltoys1

» Front End Rebuild
Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:54 pm by 58belvedere

» Well, I did it, I got a 58!!!!!
Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:13 pm by Bloodhound1958

John Carpenter Shout Out!
Alexandra Paul Shout Out!
Christine Movie Soundtrack
Youtube Filmscore Mix
Share | 

57 Plymouth Emergency Brake

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

OFFICIAL CHAPLAIN OF THE KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

ELITE GOLDEN COMMANDO CONTRIBUTOR

PostSubject: 57 Plymouth Emergency Brake   Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:22 pm

I have good reason to believe that my emergency brake drum is warped. There's a very loud chatter when I apply it when vehicle is rolling. I've taken the drum to 4 different shops to get it turned/resurfaced and they either say: "Can't mount it up in the lathe because of the splined hole"...or "Can't get my cutting tool in there...it's too small". Has anyone had to have their e-brake drum turned/resurfaced? ...and if so, what type of shop was able to do the work?

Thanks for your time...
Bob

And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has life, he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.
1 John 5:11-12 cheers
Back to top Go down
Big M
Administrator
Administrator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

Big Block 361

PostSubject: Re: 57 Plymouth Emergency Brake   Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:27 pm

I've never had one resurfaced, or found a place with proper equipment to do so.

First thing I would do is to make two measurements of the inside diameter, one at 12 O'clock and 6 O'clock position, the other at three O'clock and 9 O'clock position. This will tell you how badly out of round it is. If you do not have the equipment, a machine shop should have an inside micrometer that is capable of making these measurements, if they do work on big trucks.

---John

CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: 57 Plymouth Emergency Brake   Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:44 pm

Big M wrote:
I've never had one resurfaced, or found a place with proper equipment to do so.

First thing I would do is to make two measurements of the inside diameter, one at 12 O'clock and 6 O'clock position, the other at three O'clock and 9 O'clock position. This will tell you how badly out of round it is. If you do not have the equipment, a machine shop should have an inside micrometer that is capable of making these measurements, if they do work on big trucks.

---John

I do not have access to inside verniers or micrometer...perhaps I can at least get it measured at a local machine shop...if not resurfaced this week. Thanks very much John...

Bob

And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has life, he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.
Back to top Go down
cdasho
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: 57 Plymouth Emergency Brake   Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:01 pm

Im glad I didnt use my old tranny now...hope you get it fixed soon man...
Back to top Go down
58plym
CCC Member
CCC Member

Big Block 440 One Bad azz Machine

PostSubject: Re: 57 Plymouth Emergency Brake   Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:50 am

NY I have a crazy question , They say no question is stupid but here goes, Why are you using your emergency brake before you stop? Now are you saying to yourself if my brakes would go oujt I can use the emergency brake.? Not getting smart it is just a question? I do not have any emergency brake on ol Redsled but I have a Park. I can remember back in the old days I would use my emergency bgrake to help me stop Hee! Hee!

"THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER
Back to top Go down
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: 57 Plymouth Emergency Brake   Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:44 pm

58plym wrote:
NY I have a crazy question , They say no question is stupid but here goes, Why are you using your emergency brake before you stop? Now are you saying to yourself if my brakes would go oujt I can use the emergency brake.? Not getting smart it is just a question? I do not have any emergency brake on ol Redsled but I have a Park. I can remember back in the old days I would use my emergency bgrake to help me stop Hee! Hee!

That's a good question buddy. Wink I'm just the kind of guy that tests these things out in my driveway Bob.

My 41 Plymouth wouldn't stop with the emergency brake while rolling in the driveway...The e-brake wouldn't even hold it from rolling. while in park. I went under there found the shoes were worn to the metal so I replaced the shoes. I followed my repairs up by repeating the same steps. After rolling and stopping in the driveway, the e-brake now worked fine.

Onto my DeSoto: When I got this car...while rolling and parked e-brake worked fine...no chattering at all when rolling either...no fixing was necessary.

Onto my Belvedere: E-brake worked fine when parked...held very well...but when rolling in the driveway I heard a very disturbing, loud banging/chattering sound until car stopped rolling. Now I know from experience this should not be. Everyone says that you shouldn't use the emergency brake when moving. I say "what if my single reservoir master cylinder runs dry sometime from a leak that I didn't notice or I have rubber brake hose blow out when I try to stop...and I need that emergency brake to stop'? Isn't that why it 's called an emergency brake? I want a good working e-brake in my cars...especially the old classics with single reservoir master cylinders. I have good reason to believe this e-brake drum is badly warped. Another possibility: transmisssion fluid seepage may be getting onto the e-brake shoes but that isn't obvious when i look in there at the shoes or the drum. That would make it chatter though. I don't have all that much seepage either. I'm betting on a warped drum.

Thanks Bob...it's nice to know someone is reading this...and cares enough to reply. I appreciate it. Big M is helping me too. I wish I had a big micrometer to measure the drum in a few spots but I don't...( Big M's idea :-)

Bob

Back to top Go down
cdasho
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: 57 Plymouth Emergency Brake   Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:48 pm

I drove mine around for awhile using nothing but the E-brake..Had a bad brake in the rear that would just lock up and spin me around...I switched to a 74 challenger rear end now and have true E-brake and tranny has park now.. Hope you get yours figured out soon !!!
Back to top Go down
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: 57 Plymouth Emergency Brake   Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:10 pm

cdasho wrote:
I drove mine around for awhile using nothing but the E-brake..Had a bad brake in the rear that would just lock up and spin me around...I switched to a 74 challenger rear end now and have true E-brake and tranny has park now.. Hope you get yours figured out soon !!!

Thanks Charlie...You've got the hot set-up there...The late 60's and early 70's Mopars had better mechanics no doubt...including the e-brake setup on the rear wheels. My car is stored for quite a while now so there's no hurry. I thought this would be a good time to look into both issues. By spring time I should have it all figured out.

Bob

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 57 Plymouth Emergency Brake   Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:18 pm

Hey New York The emergency brake drum is too small to stop the PLYMOUTH when in gear. the rumbling your hearing is probably the shoes and brackets clanging around due to the strain when in drive. the brake should only be engaged when the selector gear is NEUTRAL. I would check the shoes and have them adjusted. I still believe you will never stop a car with 4 11" drums with a single 6 inch emergency drum on the trans.
Back to top Go down
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: 57 Plymouth Emergency Brake   Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:05 am

SA Jase57 wrote:
Hey New York The emergency brake drum is too small to stop the PLYMOUTH when in gear. the rumbling your hearing is probably the shoes and brackets clanging around due to the strain when in drive. the brake should only be engaged when the selector gear is NEUTRAL. I would check the shoes and have them adjusted. I still believe you will never stop a car with 4 11" drums with a single 6 inch emergency drum on the trans.

Jase, I'd agree with you if my other driveshaft type e-brakes (58 DeSoto and 41 Plymouth) didn't stop the cars smoothly and without a loud chatter. I wrote this already in detail about 4 posts upward. Also...car is not in gear...In all cases I'm rolling very slowly in neutral in my driveway but from what I've heard from some old timers, it will put you through the windshield if you pull handle up too fast while moving along at a good clip. I've NEVER tried it though and never plan to unless the brakes fail! The shoes are fine...lots of material left and the e-brake is also adjusted nicely...hand lever pulls/stops tightly at a little over 1/2 way up like it should.
It was also pointed out to me by two mechanics that looked at the drum but couldn't turn it for me...They pointed out the dark spots on inside braking surface which indicates it was overheated some time in the past. I still can't get a hold of anyone being Christmas week. Called again today only to get answering machines. It will have to wait until next week.

Back to top Go down
Arnie1964
CCC Member
CCC Member

"Badass" Poly 318!

PostSubject: Re: 57 Plymouth Emergency Brake   Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:41 am

If it is warped my guess would be that someone drove it a ways with the E brake on. That would be the only way I can think of to get it hot enough to warp. Harbor freight has some pretty inexpensive measuring tools Bob if you have one near you. Most machine shops would have a way of turning the drum if needed. Why not just pick up a used drum to use while you are looking to get yours fixed? It will also confirm yor problem.

CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: 57 Plymouth Emergency Brake   Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:15 pm

Arnie1964 wrote:
If it is warped my guess would be that someone drove it a ways with the E brake on. That would be the only way I can think of to get it hot enough to warp. Harbor freight has some pretty inexpensive measuring tools Bob if you have one near you. Most machine shops would have a way of turning the drum if needed. Why not just pick up a used drum to use while you are looking to get yours fixed? It will also confirm yor problem.

Thanks Jim...I agree In the past, someone had to leave the e-brake on for an extended time while driving to warp that drum. I do have a Harbor Frieght near me. That is a good plan if I can't get the local machine shop to help. Apparently they're off this week for Christmas. Frustrating...I had all that stuff at my fingertips when I was at Xerox. That ended abruptly last Feb. 8 after 30 years. Crying or Very sad

I looked this up in a 58 Ply owners manual. Here's word for word "About Your Parking Brake" Plymouth parking brakes act independently from foot braking system. To engage parking brake, pull handle out. To release, turn handle to left (counter-cloclwise). Always use hand brake when parking, but use it in only extreme emergency when in motion. Then apply brake intermittently. Remember to release parking brake before starting.

Looks like we're both right Jase. This hand brake is mainly for use while parking...but certainly can be useful in extreme emergencies. With the single reservoir master cylinder still in place I'd say that extreme emergencies are more likely to occur. With one good leak anywhere in the system; both front and rear brakes are history.

Back to top Go down

57 Plymouth Emergency Brake

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Christine Car Club :: Christine Car Club Tech Section :: Brakes, Wheels and Tires:-