The Christine Car Club

Not a member of the CCC? Come on in and register...membership is FREE!

Dedicated To The Restoration And Maintenance Of The 1957-1958 Plymouth

HomeCalendarFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Happy Anniversary CCC!
Latest topics
» hard to find
Yesterday at 9:59 am by Jurrasic car

» BRAKE LAMP SWITCH LOCATION?
Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:30 pm by GOREDFURY

»  Electronic Distributor with 301ci
Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:03 pm by Jurrasic car

» Installing rebuilt 318
Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:21 pm by eva_392

» Our Loss Is Their Gain
Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:20 pm by 57belv

» Christianity 101
Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:18 pm by furvedere

» Photobucket House Cleaning
Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:07 pm by Bloodhound1958

» 58 Front Liscense Plate brackets
Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:37 pm by cooltoys1

» Front End Rebuild
Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:54 pm by 58belvedere

» Well, I did it, I got a 58!!!!!
Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:13 pm by Bloodhound1958

John Carpenter Shout Out!
Alexandra Paul Shout Out!
Christine Movie Soundtrack
Youtube Filmscore Mix
Share | 

WHEEL CYLINDERS

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: WHEEL CYLINDERS   Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:03 pm

Looks like I have to replace my wheel cylinders. Any part numbers or places I can go to find them for my 57 belvedere? santa
Back to top Go down
58plym
CCC Member
CCC Member

Big Block 440 One Bad azz Machine

PostSubject: Re: WHEEL CYLINDERS   Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:59 pm

Steve I do not recolect where you are from, But must have been around 15 years ago I got them at my Local parts House would Be Oriley's now. But as I say that has been 15 years ago, Now I have disc on the fron't and by the time I replace them again I will probly have them on the back also. Smile

"THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER
Back to top Go down
Arnie1964
CCC Member
CCC Member

"Badass" Poly 318!

PostSubject: Re: WHEEL CYLINDERS   Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:41 am

You should still be able to get a rebuild kits. Try your local auto parts places first. You can buy a cylinder hone at harbor freight for about $8.00. It is not hard to do them yourself.

PostSubject: Re: WHEEL CYLINDERS   Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:30 pm

They are still available. just go to your local NAPA or Auto Part's and they will have them. You can also go to Kanter Auto Parts as well. Remember, 2 each wheel in front= 4 and 1 each wheel in rear= 2
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: WHEEL CYLINDERS   Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:23 pm

THANKS ! I went to napa and ordered the two for the right side ,they were bleeding. I found two cylinders in spokane to fit my needs and I will install them and see if this brake job has a chance to help the situation. I was surprided to find anthing at all!
Back to top Go down
Big M
Administrator
Administrator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

ELITE GOLDEN COMMANDO CONTRIBUTOR

Big Block 361

PostSubject: Re: WHEEL CYLINDERS   Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:28 pm

I also bought mine from Napa. I do not recommend honing these type of cylinders, because unless the car is used everyday, tiny pits in the metal will allow fluid seedpae, and will get on the linings, causing the brakes to lock up. I know thyi8s from experience.

Another idea is to have thye original cylinders sleeved with stainless, or brass, White Post Restorations does this, but I'm not sure if it is cost effective these days.

---John

CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: WHEEL CYLINDERS   Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:33 pm

Yea John that was the problem with my old ones they were leaking just a little fluid on the shoes and causing them to sort of lock up a little and go whaccy. Do you have rear disc on your Fury John. I am thinking really serious of putting them on my 58, also putting a line lock on it so when I do a burnout it is not heating up the shoes or disc. Smile

Back to top Go down
Big M
Administrator
Administrator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

Big Block 361

PostSubject: Re: WHEEL CYLINDERS   Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:42 pm

58plym wrote:
Yea John that was the problem with my old ones they were leaking just a little fluid on the shoes and causing them to sort of lock up a little and go whaccy. Do you have rear disc on your Fury John. I am thinking really serious of putting them on my 58, also putting a line lock on it so when I do a burnout it is not heating up the shoes or disc. Smile

I believe Roger at AAJ brakes has a rear disc conversion. I would check with him on that. It would make a measurable difference in stopping after running the quarter mile.

I have the factory drum brakes front and rear on my car yet.

---John
Back to top Go down
58plym
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: WHEEL CYLINDERS   Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm

Yea John I bought the front basic for the front, from Roger Great guy to deal with. I am a beleiver in drum brakes as well I never had a problem stopping with them, but as I saw they made me losse well more then a couple racesd by creeping over the line and red lighting, I may of lost anyways. Hee! Hee! What do you think John about a Thunderbolt stlye Hood scoop. I can get a 3" tall one and will give me all the hood clearence I need. Smile

Back to top Go down
Big M
Administrator
Administrator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

Big Block 361

PostSubject: Re: WHEEL CYLINDERS   Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:55 pm

My friend Mike Patterson has a '57 Plymouth thyat he mounted a hemi engine into, and had some hood clearance problems. He used a '63 Thunderbird hood center, and fabbed it to his Plymouth hood, to give it a small, functional scoop, as well as the needed clearance.

---John

CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: WHEEL CYLINDERS   Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:00 pm

Well I have till after my New Years Eve Party and then the shop will be a work shop again and I have to come up with something. I Had a 63 T-Bird Convertible when Eva and I was First married, she had a little Red Triumph Hearld Convertible. Smile

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: WHEEL CYLINDERS   Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:22 pm

I got the passenger side wheel cylinders on today I actually found the two needed. Now my question next is this car has power brakes and how do I get the system bled? My petal is squishey of course so could use some advice getting the system to work. I have bled brakes before but could use some help
Back to top Go down
Big M
Administrator
Administrator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

Big Block 361

PostSubject: Re: WHEEL CYLINDERS   Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:39 pm

Steve,

If you don't have a pressure bleeder, you can gravity bleed by starting at the wheel farthest from the master cyl., and crack the bleeder screw on the right rear cylinder, until ju8st clear fluid comes out. then, repeat the process on the left rear, and then right front lower, right front upper cylinder, then repeat on left front cylinders. If you have szomeone to help by pressing the pedal, that is a big help.

Be sure to keep the fluid level high in the master cylinder, or you will bring air back into the system.

Adjust all brakes according to the factory service manual. Very important, in order to have a good, high brake pedal.

---John

PostSubject: Re: WHEEL CYLINDERS   Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:55 pm

I checked the drivers side wheel cylinders and it looks like I will be doing those as well. Napa found a couple more for me but it will be a longer shipping time until they arrive.Thanks John for the help on bleeding the system. I got the passenger side done today though. What was happening is the front drivers side was locking up and sending the steering wheel fyling to the left. I did the passenger side first because I noticed the brake fluid dripping onto the inside of the tire while I was looking underneath the car.The po owner told me about there being a brake issue so I am finding this stuff as I dig into it. bounce
Back to top Go down
Big M
Administrator
Administrator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

Big Block 361

PostSubject: Re: WHEEL CYLINDERS   Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:03 pm

Sometimes you can get lucky, and clean thye brake fluid from the contaminated linings by dropping them in boililg water, and then sanding them once they are dry, but if the pulling persists, you are best to replace them.

---John

CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: WHEEL CYLINDERS   Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:17 pm

You know Steve it is a good thing the prior owner told you about the brake Issue, It is nice for someone to let you know. I would never sell a car that I would not let the new owner know if it were a safety issue. Looks like you delt with a suare shooter. Smile

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: WHEEL CYLINDERS   Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:57 pm

Yea I agree, sometimes if someone is trying to sell something they will hide or not mention everything wrong unless you ask. The po was no mechanic nor could he work on this car so he had to have someone else do repairs and sometimes they don't turn out to be a quality repair. This car did have a brake job done but they ignored the wheel cylinders being bad. It left the past owner not being able to drive the car because the wheel locked up again, they only replaced the brake pads and replaced the wheel bearings. Maybe at the time the cylinders did not show leakage as I found them to be.
Back to top Go down
58plym
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: WHEEL CYLINDERS   Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:29 pm

They were probly ok when the car was done, Not many people are stupid enough to shortcome brake issues. Brakes and Tires are the tweo most important things on a car. also the Temp gage and the Oil pressure. The other two gages if you run out of baTTERY YOUJR CAR WILL QUIT, If you run out of gas it will do the samer, But if you run oujt of oil or water It may not start again till you put several 100 dollars in it. Hee! Hee!

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: WHEEL CYLINDERS   Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:33 pm

Oh there is a oil and temp guage I have to watch tooo??? Very Happy :cyclops: :affraid: Just kiddin.
I will look forward to when I can drive her down the street that's fer sure. I at least will have mostly new brakes, maybe the rears will need to be looked at in the near future. I'll bet they will need replacement.
Back to top Go down
58plym
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: WHEEL CYLINDERS   Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:52 pm

S eems like I have always had more trouble with the front, but the rears will definately need a look at also. I had a friend when I was about 17 Bought a 55 Ford Victorria, Blue with a white top, Very nice car run like a streak but the brakes did not stop tooo good. Didn't ride with him toomuch before he got his brakes fixed. lol!

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: WHEEL CYLINDERS   Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:57 pm

Very good advice, I am not going use a tree or someone's living room to stop my car either. 🤡
Back to top Go down

WHEEL CYLINDERS

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Christine Car Club :: Christine Car Club Tech Section :: Brakes, Wheels and Tires:-