The Christine Car Club

Not a member of the CCC? Come on in and register...membership is FREE!

Dedicated To The Restoration And Maintenance Of The 1957-1958 Plymouth

HomeCalendarFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Happy Anniversary CCC!
Latest topics
» Harry Dean Stanton RIP
Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:10 pm by JAG

» Hope Amidst Illness
Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:40 pm by Bloodhound1958

» INTERESTING YOUTUBE VIDEO
Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:05 am by JAG

» New 4 wheel toy!
Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:16 pm by JAG

» Converting 350 to Electronic Ignition..
Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:15 am by Bloodhound1958

» New christine lp
Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:25 am by goat19642004

» What will work with a 440?
Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:58 pm by 57belv

» Christine's exhaust sound?
Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:02 pm by eva_392

» New Front Brake Drums (11x2)
Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:42 pm by eva_392

» 350 golden commando distributor
Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:15 am by 58belvedere

John Carpenter Shout Out!
Alexandra Paul Shout Out!
Christine Movie Soundtrack
Youtube Filmscore Mix
Share | 

The End Of Internet Forums?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bloodhound
CCC Member
CCC Member

NOS 350 GC BB

PostSubject: The End Of Internet Forums?   Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:08 pm

Most people now are so into facebook I wonder if internet forums will last. Even I find myself spending more time on facebook than the forum. I also see people are using PC's less and less and using their phones to cruise the web. Forums aren't really phone friendly as some of you have probably realized. Any thoughts on this?
Back to top Go down
57belv
Administrator
Administrator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

ELITE GOLDEN COMMANDO CONTRIBUTOR

230 CI 6 Cylinder

PostSubject: Re: The End Of Internet Forums?   Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:07 pm

I'm not a fan of facebook myself, I've had friends try to get me to join and I did create an account but quickly deleted it after hearing about others accounts getting hacked. I don't need everyone knowing what I'm doing all the time, that's my business. As for ''smart'' phones, It's unfortunate to see how dumb they are making some people. Maybe I'm just old fashioned but when I see so many individuals with their faces glued to their phones I feel like we are losing something. The ability to interact with others, our ingenuity to figure things out on our own, and awareness of ones surroundings just to name a few. They can be a great tool but can also be such a damaging device.
Back to top Go down
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

OFFICIAL CHAPLAIN OF THE KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

PostSubject: Re: The End Of Internet Forums?   Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:57 am

I get asked that question a lot: Are you on facebook? My answer is still no. But yes, I hear many people in the hobby are going to facebook and some forums do seem quieter these days.

And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has life, he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.
1 John 5:11-12 [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Arnie1964
CCC Member
CCC Member

"Badass" Poly 318!

PostSubject: Re: The End Of Internet Forums?   Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:57 am

I don't use Face Book. Don't know much about it but agree with Bob that I dumbs people up when it comes to interaction. Not sure you could personalize Face book like you can a forum like this. I go on three forums every day and all are alive and healthy. A forum like this is specialized and not a bunch of idle chit chat. My wife uses face book and it is more of a gossip site than anything else to me.

CCC Member
CCC Member

NOS 350 GC BB

PostSubject: Re: The End Of Internet Forums?   Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:56 pm

Great points guys and I agree with you all. Facebook is just that, a gossip site where people try and make their lives look perfect or imperfect depending on their moods. There are a few Plymouth related pages but no real conversations if you follow me. I have been toying with the idea of closing my page as well for many of the reasons you mentioned. I always valued the close knit brotherhood the CCC was founded on. I think it's best to foster that to the best of my ability like I once did.Smile
Back to top Go down
JAG
Administrator
Administrator

1st LIEUTENANT OF THE KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

506/ 505hp Viper V10

PostSubject: Re: The End Of Internet Forums?   Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:00 pm

facebook is nothing like this club, there is no brotherhood. i am on facebook but it is really just to keep tabs on friends i havent seen, but it will never be a place for a car club

Administrator
Administrator

V8 Poly 318

PostSubject: Re: The End Of Internet Forums?   Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:57 pm

Agreed the forums are more targeted steady ,purposeful and more camaderie, Ive shut my fb page down several times only to re-open it out of morbid curiosity to "see what they post next",the outrageous stuff people post can really be a turn-off.
I agree its a gossip site where people build fake images of themselves and grandstand and try and act like Socrates or espouse their philosophy regardless of whom it offends. Ive even found myself goaded into this type of behavior. I try and post neutral stuff.

I also agree at least for me out of all my internet activity FB is the one that's an almost fruitless waste of time,there are some cool special interest pages , where people share some cool photos ,but yes agreed Fb is the devil! Id've finished my fender brow repair these past few days if not for the time wasted on FB.
I can do without FB I could'nt do without the Christine forums.
Back to top Go down
57belv
Administrator
Administrator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

230 CI 6 Cylinder

PostSubject: Re: The End Of Internet Forums?   Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:31 am

Facebook has some redeeming qualities like uniting long lost friends and relatives but there surly is a dark element to it. Too many times I've heard of kids who are cyber bullied buy others with no apparent moral center in them and they feel empowered to treat those kids atrociously with no concern whatsoever. I really wish there was a way to make people more accountable for the way they conduct themselves on social media.

CCC Member
CCC Member

"Badass" Poly 318!

PostSubject: Re: The End Of Internet Forums?   Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:20 am

This site and a Veterans site with mostly VN vets are the two sites I have been on for a few years that I go to everyday. I feel closer to a lot of the people on the two sites than I do with a lot of people I interact with everyday. I have met a lot of the folks on both sites so I do know them as people not just electronic figures so to speak. These two sites are most of my social interaction. Some people in life I am stuck with. I get to choose you folks as I can walk away anytime I want and come back another day. A lot of harmony on both sites because of common interest and respect for each other. If either site was lost it would leave a big hole in my life.

CCC Member
CCC Member

NOS 350 GC BB

PostSubject: Re: The End Of Internet Forums?   Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:13 am

Safe to say we have summed it up. Especially Carlos' take. What really bothers me is how one FB post can be very kind and the one right below it perverted or offensive. Your forced to look at it and that bothers me. I had to stop "following" posts of 2/3rds of the people I'm friends with. Time to taper off FB and live my life here in the CCC and in every day life. Smile

As long as the drama that pops up occasionally here is kept to a minimum (I think it's been a lot better since some troublemakers left.) I'm happy.
Back to top Go down
1958Desire
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: The End Of Internet Forums?   Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:22 pm

True about FB. FB is well, FB. Nothing compares to being here. I may not own a christine or the like but, it doesnt matter in here. You are not judged by your status quotes or what you own. I feel like I belong here because of the movie Christine and of course the car mainly. You guys post some great stuff in here and I appreciate all the work and effort into this site. Thanks for being great people on here.  Very Happy   

Founder/Webmaster/Administrator

1ST. GENERAL OF THE KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

350 GC BB

PostSubject: Re: The End Of Internet Forums?   Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:52 pm

I think I've about had it with FB. Seriousely considering closing my personal account. I can't stand this one trying to make their life look more glamorous than it really is, another one needs attention, another one posting sexually explicit stuff daily. What a fantasy world. There's more reality in one post here than in all of that place. Anyone else considered doing the same?

Back to top Go down
http://www.christinecarclubforum.com
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

OFFICIAL CHAPLAIN OF THE KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

PostSubject: Re: The End Of Internet Forums?   Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:59 pm

Bloodhound1958 wrote:
I think I've about had it with FB. Seriousely considering closing my personal account. I can't stand this one trying to make their life look more glamorous than it really is, another one needs attention, another one posting sexually explicit stuff daily. What a fantasy world. There's more reality in one post here than in all of that place. Anyone else considered doing the same?

Hey Wayne...Maybe I'll create a FB account so I can join in with you and close it!  Hee! Hee! 

Seriously now...as you know I haven't gotten involved with FB yet but thanks for the heads up in case I ever do.  Batting PC

And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has life, he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.
1 John 5:11-12 [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
57belv
Administrator
Administrator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

230 CI 6 Cylinder

PostSubject: Re: The End Of Internet Forums?   Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:54 pm

I already went that route, I had a facebook account for a couple of minutes before cancelling. I only wanted to join so that I could get information about a band my brother played in, unfortunately, at the same time, a buddy from high school was trying to get me to join a "business opportunity" which turned out to be a pyramid scheme company and as soon as I created my account, facebook brought up his profile asking if I wanted to friend him. Well I was trying to avoid him so I quickly deleted my account.
Back to top Go down
Bloodhound1958

350 GC BB

PostSubject: Re: The End Of Internet Forums?   Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:18 am

Sounds typical of some of the crazy stuff that goes on there....

Back to top Go down
Bloodhound1958

350 GC BB

PostSubject: Re: The End Of Internet Forums?   Sun May 18, 2014 9:15 am

Well, I'm disgusted with Facebook right about now. Got a message that the CCC page had to be converted to a "Community" or be deleted. I had no choice but to agree and every post ever made was erased. I have neither the time or ambition to rebuild it. If anyone out there is a regular fb user and would like to take a crack at it let me know!

IMHO our clubs merging was a good move. The fact that the forum has grown and picked up the pace is a testament to that. May be time to pull the plug on fb once and for all.

Back to top Go down
twomanymontes
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: The End Of Internet Forums?   Sun May 18, 2014 6:24 pm

I don't use facebook, So you can delete it

There's no such thing as Too Many Montes!!!!

1986 Monte Carlo SS
2001 Monte Carlo SS
1984 Monte Carlo SS [Kid's car]
1994 Sierra 4X4
Back to top Go down
petegee77
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: The End Of Internet Forums?   Sun May 18, 2014 7:23 pm

I'm with Dave. I have nothing to do with FB.

PostSubject: Re: The End Of Internet Forums?   Sun May 18, 2014 8:04 pm

Facebook.not for me thanks and never will be.My wife is on there daily and when she shows me some of the idiotic and offensive posts on there I just say "what are they thinking".I was on two forums that have closed down and not sure if facebook was the cause but post traffic steadily declined until basically nothing was going on,so who's to say.I wasn't even aware of the Christine club until I joined the Motley Cruisers club.I think it's terrific to be together as I've learned a great deal about these Christine cars and the work and dedication put into them .Hats off to you guys and thanks for sharing your builds.Enough rambling on .Have a blessed day.  Rick
Back to top Go down
Bloodhound1958

350 GC BB

PostSubject: Re: The End Of Internet Forums?   Sun May 18, 2014 10:20 pm

Facebook IMO is contributing to the dumming down of society. Why anyone would prefer it over a dedicated club forum is beyond me. Good for people who like constant drama and offensive BS posts. Your guaranteed to be inundated with them.

Back to top Go down
battmann
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: The End Of Internet Forums?   Mon May 19, 2014 9:21 pm

I'm not on Facebook either. My wife uses it a lot but mostly to share pics of the kids with their grandparents.

Back to top Go down
http://www.motortopia.com/garage/cars/battmann
ChristineFury
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: The End Of Internet Forums?   Tue May 20, 2014 1:05 pm

I go to both but not much on either anymore with so many other things going on here with the house and the cars.

PostSubject: Re: The End Of Internet Forums?   Sat May 24, 2014 10:20 pm

I hate to admit it,but I just joined Facebook after saying never will.My wife has sold several items on there lately,so i joined to see what's going on and it might be interesting.I can filter out the trash posts  and see hoe it goes. The old saying  "never say never" holds true ,i guess.   Rick....Have a safe  holiday everyone.
Back to top Go down
Benny H
CCC Member
CCC Member

230 CI 6 Cylinder

PostSubject: Re: The End Of Internet Forums?   Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:05 am

The forums are for the people who really want to learn and get solid answers. I was new to diesel when I rebuilt my cummins and facebook had so much bad information it was ridiculous but, once I found the right groups I made friends and learned a lot.. I joined cummins forum and everything was spot on. I also joined 2 groups on facebok that had very knowledgable people on them, You could just read build threads for days on CF and ask questions on facebook . That's why I'm here now. There is a overwhelming wealth of knowledge here. I am a sponge. If you are going to do anything on facebook as far as a forum you can't do a page or community. That doesn't work. You need to start a group which I think would be very  benificial to CCC. Members can post questions, pictures etc, very easily from there phone. I think it would be great exposure to keeping these cars alive I had a friend of mine stop by after that 58 got home. He asked me about the car and we talked old cars for 2 hours. He thought it was neat that it wasn't a 68 chevelle or the usual at the car shows. (he's 28 years old) now he is interested in forward look cars. He also asked if there was a facebook group he could join to learn more about the cars.The younger generation wants to learn but, they have grown up on a phone so, I think a group would be very good for the young hot rodders. The advantages to a forum is having threads and a easy search. The advantages to a facebook group Is being able to ask questions and receiving notifications when someone comments. You can also upload a ton of pictures from your phone it's very phone friendly, the messanger works great and you can go through a members page and look at everything about them, there cars and what's for sale, etc. It's advantages out weigh it's disadvantages. When I got started in old cars america online was intimidating and everyone was against forums or joining them but the internet has prooved to be a place for information and sourcing parts and cars. There are members from all over here and if there was a way to message instantly were they would recieve a notification at a junkyard they may be at, at the time they could just get that part you needed right there and ship it to you.I seen many post on groups that state "going to the junkyard saturday there are four of these trucks there let me know what you need....." It has it's advantages. I bought many useful parts off facebook that otherwise would have been high dollar new items.  But, through new freinds and messanger I was able to get them cheap and both parties benifited, If you would like bloodhound1958 I could get a facebook group going.

"He wanted the car and he bought it. Matter of fact I tried to talk him out of it". "I doubt you tried real hard."
Back to top Go down
Bloodhound1958

350 GC BB

PostSubject: Re: The End Of Internet Forums?   Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:16 am

We have both a community page [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and group page [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Unfortunately I just don't have the time to get the group page going. The Community page has over 7,400 likes and followers. As for the group page have at it Benny. It will be interesting to see if you can breath some life into it.... Smile Just ask to join the group and Joe (Jag) or I will add you. Everyone else is welcome as well! Smile If anyone has a facebook account and uses the "facebook connect" login here on the forum it makes it very easy to transition back and forth from the forum to the fb pages. Just an FYI. Smile

Back to top Go down
Benny H
CCC Member
CCC Member

230 CI 6 Cylinder

PostSubject: Re: The End Of Internet Forums?   Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:41 am

Ok I joined. Thanks for the showing me the group. Picture time lol.

"He wanted the car and he bought it. Matter of fact I tried to talk him out of it". "I doubt you tried real hard."
Back to top Go down
Benny H
CCC Member
CCC Member

230 CI 6 Cylinder

PostSubject: Re: The End Of Internet Forums?   Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:49 am

On the hunt for plymouth owners on fb. Once I find them it's a instant invite.

Back to top Go down
sheboygan
CCC Member
CCC Member

230 CI 6 Cylinder

PostSubject: Re: The End Of Internet Forums?   Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:23 pm

I've worked with computers all my life and learned at a young age that even if you name a file ThisIsaVirus.exe, given a large enough sample, you'll find someone willing to click it. Facebook is a really, really large sample.

CCC Member
CCC Member

230 CI 6 Cylinder

PostSubject: Re: The End Of Internet Forums?   Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:33 pm

Very true.

Back to top Go down

The End Of Internet Forums?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Christine Car Club :: Non Automotive Off Topic Section :: General Discussion/World News & Off Topic Section-