The Christine Car Club

Not a member of the CCC? Come on in and register...membership is FREE!

Dedicated To The Restoration And Maintenance Of The 1957-1958 Plymouth

HomeCalendarFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Happy Anniversary CCC!
Latest topics
» Wurlitzer Jukebox Model 2510 Project. Any ideas?
Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:42 am by Bloodhound1958

» Aluminium Trim - Reanodise or Paint
Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:43 pm by Red Devil

» Frame metal thickness?
Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:20 pm by RacerRick

» Wise Stewards
Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:06 pm by furvedere

» Photobucket Issues Amongst Other Things
Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:18 pm by ChristineFury

» Car Crazy?
Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:21 am by goat19642004

» Removing the radiator support.
Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:38 am by 57belv

» Life Now and Forever
Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:20 pm by Bloodhound1958

» Alive With Christ
Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:14 pm by furvedere

» Looking for christine novel
Mon May 29, 2017 11:52 pm by ArnieCunningham

John Carpenter Shout Out!
Alexandra Paul Shout Out!
Christine Movie Soundtrack
Youtube Filmscore Mix
Share | 

fiberglass

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
57belv
Administrator
Administrator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

ELITE GOLDEN COMMANDO CONTRIBUTOR

230 CI 6 Cylinder

PostSubject: fiberglass   Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:08 pm

Hey guys, now before anyone gets out their torches and pitchforks I just want to hear peoples view on using fiberglass to reinforce a floor. I hate to even mention this due to the awesome restoration work that others here have performed. However, to quote cooltoys, I lack the resources to undertake such work. My car is full of bondo and is not a show car. To repair all of the rust damage properly would require a total tear down and complete restoration, I'm not willing to do that because I know It would become a project never completed. I can accept that there will be rust and filler, I just want to be able to enjoy my car now and I've used fiberglass in the past to reinforce rusty floors.
Back to top Go down
Big M
Administrator
Administrator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

Big Block 361

PostSubject: Re: fiberglass   Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:31 pm

Basically, if you are reinforcing weak floors, if you sandblast the metal so it has no rust in the pitting, it will last a long time. The problem is, it is very difficult to remove all traces of the rust, and any remaining will allow moisture to get between the fiberglass, and the steel, causing even more rust out.

If the car is kept out of the weather, it will not have a chance to get water in between the surfaces, and will hold up also. If you plan on using the car on a regular basis. it will have a limited lifespan.

Not trying to be negative, but I have seen only marginal success with this repair.

---John

Administrator
Administrator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

230 CI 6 Cylinder

PostSubject: Re: fiberglass   Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:16 pm

Thanks for your advice John, I first turned away from buying this car because of the bondo and other issues it had knowing that I wasn't willing to take on a full restoration but then, after thinking about the car I figured if I can keep it dry, maybe it would last so keeping it from getting wet has been a priority, it will only see sunny days.  I've read about others that have used a rust inhibiter and then a product like rust bullet on their floors before glassing them, I was thinking of a similar route.  Very Happy 
Chris.
Back to top Go down
Joe Sportone
CCC Moderator
CCC Moderator

PostSubject: Re: fiberglass   Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:14 am

Chris,
What a tough choice. I like your sensible approach so far to keeping costs down and enjoying your car. I'd be torn if I were in your shoes as well. With my mentality,  I would think about it for months and eventually do what I know I would have to do in the long run anyway - park that beauty in my garage and start the process to restore it to solid footing, even if it took a long time.

I hope you find a good answer that meets your needs. I wonder if it's possible/cost effective to patch the floors with new inserts without doing a frame-off resto? It's not like you are prepping her for a Mecum auction or something. Seems to me you just want to stop the issue from spreading and be able to safely enjoy your car, right?

-Joe
Back to top Go down
57belv
Administrator
Administrator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

230 CI 6 Cylinder

PostSubject: Re: fiberglass   Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:27 pm

Hi Joe, Yeah, I used to be the same way where if something wasn't right, it would bother me until I couldn't leave it alone. The problem I ran into too many times is that after tearing into something I would often wish I had left well alone. The realization with this car is if I were to tear into it, I would have to keep going and going to repair everything that has rust and it would end up being a full restoration. The truth is if I had to do a full restoration in order to have one of these cars, I wouldn't have one. At least now as I've gotten older I've been better at leaving things alone and living with flaws as long as they aren't major problems. I accept that this car isn't perfect but if it means I can have it and enjoy it now with minimal work, I'm fine with that.
I hate to see cars torn apart awaiting repairs that never get completed because of money, time, or ambition and I can't let mine become another fizzled project. I've had my fill of dead cars in the garage! Very Happy 
Chris
Back to top Go down
Bloodhound1958
Founder/Webmaster/Administrator
Founder/Webmaster/Administrator

1ST. GENERAL OF THE KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

350 GC BB

PostSubject: Re: fiberglass   Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:03 am

Doing floors sucks. I remember it well. When it came to restoring my body shell it was a lot of long drawn out boring work. I did all the floor pans, inner and outer rockers, floor supports, main flooring brace....etc. etc. NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART!

Back to top Go down
http://www.christinecarclubforum.com
57belv
Administrator
Administrator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

230 CI 6 Cylinder

PostSubject: Re: fiberglass   Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:59 pm

When I went back and looked at your photos I just said wow! The level of dedication and quality of work you are putting into your car is amazing! I wish I could accomplish what you are doing but unfortunately for me, as much as I love these cars I know In my current situation, I would never finish so I have to keep this project as minimal as I can. I'm glad to see your still plugging away on your Christine Wayne! Do you think you'll get her on the road this year?

CCC Moderator
CCC Moderator

PostSubject: Re: fiberglass   Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:30 pm

57belv wrote:
When I went back and looked at your photos I just said wow! The level of dedication and quality of work you are putting into your car is amazing! I wish I could accomplish what you are doing but unfortunately for me, as much as I love these cars I know In my current situation, I would never finish so I have to keep this project as minimal as I can. I'm glad to see your still plugging away on your Christine Wayne! Do you think you'll get her on the road this year?

He's got to be getting close. There seems to be a good amount of assembly left to do but the grunt work (body, floors and drive train) seem to have been addressed. I'm looking forward to the first start up the GOLDEN COMMANDO. I get excited just thinking about it and it's not even my car! It's gonna be a huge milestone. Cool 

-Joe
Back to top Go down
318Fins
Administrator
Administrator

V8 Poly 318

PostSubject: Re: fiberglass   Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:48 pm

Indeed these cars can be really rusty , I too had to replace all the floors many braces trunk floor, trunk drop-downs tailight panel inner /outer rockers and one lower quarter ,I would'nt worry about Bondo very few if any of these cars will not have bondo,Its use is almost inevitable. bondo gets a bad rap especially in recent years,truth is its almost impossible to not use.
When bondo or plastic fillers aren't applied correctly they can cause further rust out and if dents aren't pulled as much as possible before filling them it can result in the uses of excessive filler which will eventually bubble or crack.
this is why it has a bad raap all too many cars over the years have filler that's been improperly applied.

I can identify with not wanting to do a full blown resto, Ive lost many cars that way run out of money, time, patience and I've unloaded cars and lost money, labor and time.
All-metal filler will work better than fiberglass as its moisture proof as John said its not preffered ,but if you must use it blast it clean ,epoxy the panel and fill in with all metal its a little bit more per quart roughly 20-30 dollars .Ive seen it cheapest at Pep boys everywhere else its 30 dollars on up.
The actual bondo brand for plastic filler sucks try and use the higher end fillers they sell and paint stores they are more flexible easier to sand and will out last bondo. Bondo is too hard.
Back to top Go down
57belv
Administrator
Administrator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

230 CI 6 Cylinder

PostSubject: Re: fiberglass   Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:37 pm

Thanks for the advice! Would you use fiberglass cloth with the all-metal? My neighbor who used to do autobody mentioned a product called Everglass, have you heard of that before? It sounded similar when he described it.
Back to top Go down
318Fins
Administrator
Administrator

V8 Poly 318

PostSubject: Re: fiberglass   Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:08 am

no not for use with cloth not sure if that would work ,he may be referring the the brand called Evercoat? they make autobody stuff.All-metal filler is usually for smaller holes,it metal re-inforced filler theres many different names for it All-metal is one i forgot what the one they sell at Pep boys is called.
Back to top Go down
57belv
Administrator
Administrator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

230 CI 6 Cylinder

PostSubject: Re: fiberglass   Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:22 am

Yep, Everglass is made by Evercoat, (I just looked it up Very Happy ) apparently it has Kevlar in it, I thought he mentioned it had metal in it like the All-Metal but I was mistaken. I also read a post where someone used POR-15 and fiberglass cloth. I guess there's a few options to consider.
Back to top Go down
57belv
Administrator
Administrator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

230 CI 6 Cylinder

PostSubject: Re: fiberglass   Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:02 pm

I ran across a product called "Miracle paint". Looks like it might work well. Bill Hirsch Auto has it as well as Mercedes Source.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

fiberglass

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Christine Car Club :: Non Automotive Off Topic Section :: General Discussion/World News & Off Topic Section-