The Christine Car Club

Not a member of the CCC? Come on in and register...membership is FREE!

Dedicated To The Restoration And Maintenance Of The 1957-1958 Plymouth

HomeCalendarFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Happy Anniversary CCC!
Latest topics
» Photobucket House Cleaning
Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:07 pm by Bloodhound1958

» 58 Front Liscense Plate brackets
Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:37 pm by cooltoys1

» Front End Rebuild
Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:54 pm by 58belvedere

» Well, I did it, I got a 58!!!!!
Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:13 pm by Bloodhound1958

» How to Post Pictures
Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:21 am by Bloodhound1958

» He Changes Everything
Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:09 pm by furvedere

» Harry Dean Stanton RIP
Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:10 pm by JAG

» Hope Amidst Illness
Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:40 pm by Bloodhound1958

» INTERESTING YOUTUBE VIDEO
Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:05 am by JAG

» New 4 wheel toy!
Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:16 pm by JAG

John Carpenter Shout Out!
Alexandra Paul Shout Out!
Christine Movie Soundtrack
Youtube Filmscore Mix
Share | 

expert knowlegable motor re-builder

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
alumcantandthd
CCC Member
CCC Member

Official Forum Goofball!

PostSubject: expert knowlegable motor re-builder   Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:27 pm

Just as the title sez.

ANYone on here, know a motor re-build machine (within driving distance) shop that is knowledgeable on the 259 inch Plymouth motors?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Bloodhound1958
Founder/Webmaster/Administrator

1ST. GENERAL OF THE KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

350 GC BB

PostSubject: Re: expert knowlegable motor re-builder   Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:25 pm

I know a guy here in NY Rick. What do you need done? He's pretty much the rainman of enginedom...Smile

http://www.christinecarclubforum.com
alumcantandthd
CCC Member
CCC Member

Official Forum Goofball!

PostSubject: Re: expert knowlegable motor re-builder   Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:10 am

Well,,,,,,, chapter 1, vol 1, of a 14 vol man-u-script.

In the '70's I wanted to build a 259 inch '55 Plymouth motor into a Hemi, put in a duce hi-boy and tell everyone the motor was a prototype for the '54 Plymouths. Which WAS TRUE! I SEEN one!

I picked up two 325 '57 D-500 long blocks that were abandonded at a motor re-build machine shop here, (This shop had opened in the 1930's and closed Y2-K) just waiting to find that 259 inch 'Ply' (only) motor. Dodge trucks had a 259 inch motor, but theirs had Dodge casting #'s. I wanted Plymouth casting #'s

As you know the poly 259 inch ply motor can be converted into a Hemi by simply bolting on, from the cam up, Dodge Hemi parts. Head gaskets from BOTH motors will interchange.

For YEARS the 260 cubic inch class record at Bonneville was held by a chopped '32 Duce three window with one of those 259 Ply Hemi motors!

OK, the 259 inch Ply motor was an early year entry, replaced later in the year by the 277 which is the 318 wide block style. Can't convert them to a hemi.

Well about 10 years or so ago, I picked up a '55 Ply Savoy with one of those 259 motors AND a three on the tree! I have only seen TWO other '55 Plys with that motor trans combo!

The car has only 50K original miles, but is in horrible condition. It was last driven in '64, parked in a VERY damp basement garage.

The bottoms of the front wheels rusted away! The motor is locked up tightern' the hubs of hell! The carb is even frozen!

Soon as I got it home I filled the radiator and cooling sys full of used motor oil. Bent the carb throttle plate back and poured oil down the carb. I keep doing so , because it is trickleing out the exhaust pipe. I filled the motor (around 7 gallons) with oil until it started running out the block breather.

Well, I have found a '32 Duce Hi-boy roadster that the guy had a 325 Dodge Hemi and a Muncie 4-speed in, and took 'em out for another project. I can get the car fairly cheap. Or, 'cheap' as far as '32 Roadsters go. I don't have the $$ yet. He probably will sell the roadster before I can get the $$ to get it. As in demand as those things are. Anyway. sigh

"IF" I could get a duce hi-boy roadster in such a way, that it has already been built, the bugs all worked out, and the motor trans removed, I could put this 259 stick motor in.

Now that the Hemis are commonplace, I thought instead of converting the Ply to a Hemi, just leave it the way it is, and those heavily scalloped v'covers would be more unusual than a hemi. Tell 'em it's a 348 Chevy prototype,,,,,,,,,,,,,?

The car has been on my trailer backed into the lean-to when I first drug it in. I wanted to pull the motor trans, pedals, and steering coloum, the give the rest away to someone for a parts car.

If I can get one of those 'round tutits' get that motor out and to a re-build place, they could save it for me.

Now. Here is why I asked for someone that is knowledgeable on a 259 inch Ply motor. Over on the HAMB site, a guy in Wash State has a real nice original '49 Ply coupe. He found one of those 259's had it all re-built by a large 'repitable' shop out there. ALL new everything inside. Hardened seats, ethanol rubbers, the whole 9 yards! He was in the service, and before he could get the motor in the '49, he got transferred to VA. After he got it, and all his belongings moved from Wash to VA, he didn't have a garage to work on the car. He had a garage to park it, just couldn't do any work on it.

He asked around for some help, and found a street rod shop in Fredericksburg. They put the motor in and everything. Found a rare two duce intake and carbs, had a cam reground. When this Street Rod place opened up the motor they found a HUGE boo-boo this big repituble motor rebuild machine shop in Wash State had done. Would have resulted in a runined motor upon start up!

Ok this guy did a 3 eyar set-by-step report on the HAMB of the entire process from him getting the '49, to finally driving it. 70 some pages!

So they completely tore the motor back down, fixed what was wrong, repainted and remade everything look pretty, even broke the motor in on a stand before they put it in the '49. Sounds NICE!

Now I can give you that thread over on the HAMB and let you read through it and find out what the 1st shop did wrong, that the 2nd shop was able to catch.

EGGY can make pistons, pins and rings. ( they made me a set of 30 over 350 pistons and stuff for my first GC stick motor.) I forget who has the o'haul gasket set. It's all in that HAMB thread. Plus what he ground the cam to.

You wanna take a 3-4 day read on this?
Back to top Go down
Bloodhound1958

1ST. GENERAL OF THE KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

350 GC BB

PostSubject: Re: expert knowlegable motor re-builder   Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:19 am

I have the answer to your prayers. Sent you one 'em air' Private Messages. Smile

http://www.christinecarclubforum.com

expert knowlegable motor re-builder

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Christine Car Club :: For Sale/Wanted Section :: Wanted:-