The Christine Car Club

Not a member of the CCC? Come on in and register...membership is FREE!

Dedicated To The Restoration And Maintenance Of The 1957-1958 Plymouth

HomeCalendarFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Happy Anniversary CCC!
Latest topics
» Installing rebuilt 318
Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:21 pm by eva_392

» Our Loss Is Their Gain
Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:20 pm by 57belv

» Christianity 101
Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:18 pm by furvedere

» Photobucket House Cleaning
Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:07 pm by Bloodhound1958

» 58 Front Liscense Plate brackets
Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:37 pm by cooltoys1

» Front End Rebuild
Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:54 pm by 58belvedere

» Well, I did it, I got a 58!!!!!
Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:13 pm by Bloodhound1958

» How to Post Pictures
Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:21 am by Bloodhound1958

» He Changes Everything
Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:09 pm by furvedere

» Harry Dean Stanton RIP
Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:10 pm by JAG

John Carpenter Shout Out!
Alexandra Paul Shout Out!
Christine Movie Soundtrack
Youtube Filmscore Mix
Share | 

What are you doing to your ride(s) this Spring?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

OFFICIAL CHAPLAIN OF THE KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

ELITE GOLDEN COMMANDO CONTRIBUTOR

PostSubject: What are you doing to your ride(s) this Spring?   Mon May 05, 2014 10:08 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Noticed trans. fluid leak on my 68 Monaco 500 late last fall right before putting it away for the winter.

Decided to get it up in the air so I can crawl under it and see where it's coming from. I wiped the pan down real good and am keeping an eye on it now. I'm hoping it's just the pan gasket that needs replacing.

I've had a real slow antifreeze leak on my 58 DeSoto for the last few years. It was not obvious where it was leaking from...just a few drips always hanging out on the bottom of the radiator.

Noticed it was getting worse before I put it away for the winter last fall.

Decided to pull the radiator and took it to the radiator shop. I hope he can fix it because he told me what re-cores cost now-a-days...yikes! Also: I've had a wobble in the pulley on the end of the crankshaft ever since I bought the car in 2010. While the radiator was out, I thought I'd remove it and see what's going on. I found a chunk of rust underneath. I scraped it off and wire brushed it...so I hope this will eliminate that annoying problem. This pulley wobble caused the power steering belt to continually loosen up.

I've had my 69 Fury III out and about this Spring but I noticed the rear brakes were dragging.

Took the right side apart first, removed the wheel cylinder and found rust/pitting inside. Decided to replace both rear cylinders. Also found the brake shoe resting pads on the backing plates had some wear grooves in them. I ground them down nice and flat so the pads can move back/forth freely.

And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has life, he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.
1 John 5:11-12 [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
57belv
Administrator
Administrator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

230 CI 6 Cylinder

PostSubject: Re: What are you doing to your ride(s) this Spring?   Mon May 05, 2014 10:20 pm

Nice cars Bob! Wish I had a garage like yours.

Founder/Webmaster/Administrator
Founder/Webmaster/Administrator

1ST. GENERAL OF THE KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

350 GC BB

PostSubject: Re: What are you doing to your ride(s) this Spring?   Tue May 06, 2014 8:15 am

Garage envy for sure! Nice lineup of cars too! Smile

Back to top Go down
http://www.christinecarclubforum.com
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: What are you doing to your ride(s) this Spring?   Tue May 06, 2014 1:22 pm

Bloodhound1958 wrote:
Garage envy for sure! Nice lineup of cars too! Smile

Thanks Chris...Wayne... But you've got to answer the question..."What are you doing to your ride(s) this Spring?"...and attaching some photos would be an added bonus for all to see.  Wink

Smile Bob

And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has life, he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.
Back to top Go down
twomanymontes
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: What are you doing to your ride(s) this Spring?   Tue May 06, 2014 10:19 pm

Well, lets see......

01 SS Needs to be detailed and I hope to get a under drive water pump pulley and serp belt.

86 SS Needs to get out of the garage, Then the oil changed, detailed, a vacuum canister plumbed in for the brake booster. Also hoping to get the air cleaner sealed to the cowl hood.

94 GMC, Damage repaired, rust fixed, valve covers changed, detailed, 1.5" lift blocks installed in the rear, the pitman arm, lower ball joint and the left axle shaft replaced.

11 Jeep, Detailed, summer rims/tires on, tune up and if I have any money left over, a 2" lift kit.

Matt's 84 SS and 11 Sierra...... He's on his own!!! LOL!

There's no such thing as Too Many Montes!!!!

1986 Monte Carlo SS
2001 Monte Carlo SS
1984 Monte Carlo SS [Kid's car]
1994 Sierra 4X4
Back to top Go down
57belv
Administrator
Administrator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

230 CI 6 Cylinder

PostSubject: Re: What are you doing to your ride(s) this Spring?   Wed May 07, 2014 1:12 am

Well, I just ordered an air cleaner from John (Big M) so I can check that off the list. I want to get some Bill Hirsch Miracle paint (I know how it sounds) for the floor pans and I need to order carpet too but my car is still under wraps. know a good source for carpet?[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]" />
Back to top Go down
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: What are you doing to your ride(s) this Spring?   Wed May 07, 2014 10:15 am

That's quite a list Dave...I'm exhausted after just reading it.  Hee! Hee! 

Chris, I ordered a carpet from Aardvark for my DeSoto but it didn't fit. Great guy to work with though. He ultimately took it back and returned all my money including shipping. He was willing to cut it to size for me and send it back but I opted not to do that. I would recommend him just by his willingness to work with me. The product was very good too. Nice bound edges and all...good 80/20 loop carpet...just didn't fit. Make sure whoever you choose that they will return your money (with shipping) if you are not happy with the product.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
57belv
Administrator
Administrator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

230 CI 6 Cylinder

PostSubject: Re: What are you doing to your ride(s) this Spring?   Wed May 07, 2014 7:39 pm

Was that a company that sells on e-bay?

CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: What are you doing to your ride(s) this Spring?   Wed May 07, 2014 8:46 pm

57belv wrote:
Was that a company that sells on e-bay?

Yes Chris..They sell on-line and on ebay too. The owner, if I remember his name right...George, is a great guy to deal with. They obviously did not have the correct dimensions of my DeSoto's floorpan...but the product was fabulous. High quality 80/20 loop and bound on all edges. I really liked it. If you decide to consider them for your Belvedere, call and ask him if they know if they have had success fitting the 57-58 Plymouth correctly. Mention my experience with them and see if you feel comfortable with giving him a shot. If he still takes returns with full refunds if it doesn't fit what do you have to lose right?.

Back to top Go down
battmann
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: What are you doing to your ride(s) this Spring?   Thu May 08, 2014 8:01 pm

wow - you have quite the garage there!
tomorrow's my birthday so i'm taking the day off to work on some stuff. here's what i hope to get done on my camaro:
inspection (was due last August i think)
oil change and filter
replace rear brake line(s)
install new u-bolts to connect the rear axle to leaf springs
replace broken battery hold down
dial in the timing and fine tune the EFI system
i'm sure i'll putter around with some other stuff

i'm also hoping to start tearing down the LQ4 engine i got for my trans am. i'd like to have the block and heads cleaned and checked out before doing any work to them. still trying to read up on the LSX engines to see what work i should have a shop do - i assume typical stuff like new cam bearings and freeze plugs.

Back to top Go down
http://www.motortopia.com/garage/cars/battmann
57belv
Administrator
Administrator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

230 CI 6 Cylinder

PostSubject: Re: What are you doing to your ride(s) this Spring?   Thu May 08, 2014 8:24 pm

Hey Bob, did the guy at aardvark say anything about you having to trim the carpet yourself? Most of the complaints on e-bay are related to the carpet not fitting and some of the replies were that the carpet needs to be trimmed to fit.

CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: What are you doing to your ride(s) this Spring?   Thu May 08, 2014 8:29 pm

Clint, Cam bearings, Cylinder honing, Line bore for the crank should be done by a machine shop. You can install freeze plugs, they are easy with the engine out.

Good luck with your plans for tomorrow! And Happy Birthday!

Bob! That is an amazing garage!!! And Beautiful cars too!

1986 Monte Carlo SS
2001 Monte Carlo SS
1994 Sierra 4X4
Back to top Go down
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: What are you doing to your ride(s) this Spring?   Fri May 09, 2014 11:21 am

57belv wrote:
Hey Bob, did the guy at aardvark say anything about you having to trim the carpet yourself? Most of the complaints on e-bay are related to the carpet not fitting and some of the replies were that the carpet needs to be trimmed to fit.

Chris...In my situation, the rear piece fit well, but on the front piece; the width and the edges that "butt up" to the firewall needed trimming. I called George at Aardvark and he didn't understand why "the width" edges were bound as that was not the norm (or necessary for that matter)...but the firewall edges were supposed to be bound. And because these edges were all so nicely bound, I was very reluctant to cut into them. I'm far from a pro carpet installer so I was not willing to cut into it at the risk of ruining it/owning it. He gave me 3 options. He said that I could trim it, send it back and they would bind the edges that were cut. He said I could make a template and send it all back (they'd pay for all the shipping). They would then use the old piece or make a new piece as per the template and resend it to me. In the end, I decided to just return it for a full refund in which he also gladly gave me the option to do so.

I wound up making my own carpet out of good used pieces of carpeting I had from my house. The front piece was not easy and it took a couple of attempts but in the end, it turned out very well. I'm glad I had a lot of carpeting to work with. Because I took the time to do this, I now have that template...and if I wanted, I could send it to Aardvark and get an 80/20 loop (correct) carpet made...or if I could find a piece of correct automotive carpet (now that I know how to do it) I could repeat the process.

There's a color difference (on the hump up under the heater controls) where I joined two cut pieces of carpet and then hot-melted them together on the backside. Most likely because it's used carpet and one piece was worn more than the other.

All in all, I'm happy with the end product but the car deserves the correct automotive 80/20 loop carpeting in it. Not this year, but perhaps if I keep it, I'll eventually upgrade it and make it right. At least I have a good template now.

Note: From what I have heard, anything you order (for our fin cars because they require a fitted carpet; not a molded carpet) from any supplier will have a slit in it (at the hump under the heater controls) The edges of this slit will be bound. This will allow you to position the carpet where it wants to lay. This slit could eventually be cut/adjusted and sewed/hot-melted together from the backside (like I did to my homemade carpet).

I hope this info. helps you Chris...

Back to top Go down
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: What are you doing to your ride(s) this Spring?   Fri May 09, 2014 11:52 am

battmann wrote:
wow - you have quite the garage there!
tomorrow's my birthday so i'm taking the day off to work on some stuff.  here's what i hope to get done on my camaro:
inspection (was due last August i think)
oil change and filter
replace rear brake line(s)
install new u-bolts to connect the rear axle to leaf springs
replace broken battery hold down
dial in the timing and fine tune the EFI system
i'm sure i'll putter around with some other stuff

i'm also hoping to start tearing down the LQ4 engine i got for my trans am.  i'd like to have the block and heads cleaned and checked out before doing any work to them.  still trying to read up on the LSX engines to see what work i should have a shop do - i assume typical stuff like new cam bearings and freeze plugs.

Thanks Battmann! I hope you have great birthday! Sounds like you have a lot of fun tinkering to do on your ride. That's great you can get deep into motors too. I've always been afraid to do that. I'm a good parts changer and perhaps a good problem solver (at times) but that's about it.

Bests wishes and again Happy Birthday..Bob

Back to top Go down
battmann
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: What are you doing to your ride(s) this Spring?   Fri May 09, 2014 12:33 pm

Thanks Bob.
I don't mind working on stuff but it's safer and cheaper if I have supervision.
Day not off to a great start. My camaro seems to be running fine but has a weird engine noise. I drove it maybe 10-15 miles and decided it would probably be a good idea to call AAA before anything real bad happens. Just my luck. Now I have to wait here for the tow truck. At least my AAA plan has 100 mile tows so I'll be able to get the car to my friend's shop.
Really hoping nothing major is wrong.

Back to top Go down
twomanymontes
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: What are you doing to your ride(s) this Spring?   Fri May 09, 2014 9:09 pm

That sucks Clint! What happened? Or did Dan not have enough time to check it out?

Well, I managed to get the 86 SS out of the garage tonight and over to the shop. tomorrow I have a side job to knock out and then I have the whole day to work on it. Brakes are making a funny noise, I haven't checked them since last year before our Trip. I haven't done them since I lowered it in 2000, Maybe their due?

Oh and I won the auction for the Air cleaner base for my cowl seal project. Just wonder what NASCAR team it came off of? Hope it's someone I like, LMAO!

1986 Monte Carlo SS
2001 Monte Carlo SS
1994 Sierra 4X4
Back to top Go down
57belv
Administrator
Administrator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

230 CI 6 Cylinder

PostSubject: Re: What are you doing to your ride(s) this Spring?   Fri May 09, 2014 9:24 pm

Thanks Mr. Bob, it does help. I must say your carpet install looks great and I would be happy with the results you achieved. I guess for the price, having to trim a little isn't so bad. I also checked with SMS and they get $250 for a carpet set but it probably fits better. The stuff in my car has now is some crummy old house material and it needs to go. There is another outfit selling carpet on e-bay that has the slit you mention but I haven't seen the color I want.http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=351010849994&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en
Back to top Go down
battmann
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: What are you doing to your ride(s) this Spring?   Sun May 11, 2014 6:50 am

Spent a lot of time checking things Friday night and nothing seemed to fix the problem. Dan seems to think its bad detonation. We checked & adjusted the rockers. Checked the oil pan - no chucks or metal shavings. Also played around with the timing. Nothing made the noise go away.
Saturday morning we checked cylinder pressures. We didn't check them all but #4 has no pressure. Dan's going to test all the cylinders & do a leak down test this week sometime. Dan's now thinking non-seating valve, broke wrist pin or fried rings.

Back to top Go down
twomanymontes
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: What are you doing to your ride(s) this Spring?   Sun May 11, 2014 6:32 pm

That doesn't sound good. Keep me posted on what he finds.

1986 Monte Carlo SS
2001 Monte Carlo SS
1994 Sierra 4X4
Back to top Go down
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: What are you doing to your ride(s) this Spring?   Sun May 11, 2014 10:03 pm

Sorry to hear you're having problems with your car Clint...That's certainly not a good Birthday present! Crying or Very sad  On the bright side though, maybe it's good it happened now...before you got it out and broke down on the road. It sure sounds you are very blessed to have your friend, Dan working on it for you. Hope it gets resolved quickly....perhaps it's only the top end and a valve job will solve it? Best wishes to you...

Chris...You're welcome...that carpet looks great on the website you posted. Hope you figure out just what you want. Take your time, look around and ask a lot of questions before you order. Make sure you understand and are ok with their return policy and you'll be fine...

Bob

Back to top Go down
JAG
Administrator
Administrator

1st LIEUTENANT OF THE KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

506/ 505hp Viper V10

PostSubject: Re: What are you doing to your ride(s) this Spring?   Tue May 13, 2014 11:24 pm

i havent done much to my Christine i have been working on the daily drivers

What are you doing to your ride(s) this Spring?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Christine Car Club :: Non Automotive Off Topic Section :: General Discussion/World News & Off Topic Section-