The Christine Car Club

Not a member of the CCC? Come on in and register...membership is FREE!

Dedicated To The Restoration And Maintenance Of The 1957-1958 Plymouth

HomeCalendarFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Happy Anniversary CCC!
Latest topics
»  Electronic Distributor with 301ci
Yesterday at 4:03 pm by Jurrasic car

» Installing rebuilt 318
Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:21 pm by eva_392

» Our Loss Is Their Gain
Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:20 pm by 57belv

» Christianity 101
Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:18 pm by furvedere

» Photobucket House Cleaning
Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:07 pm by Bloodhound1958

» 58 Front Liscense Plate brackets
Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:37 pm by cooltoys1

» Front End Rebuild
Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:54 pm by 58belvedere

» Well, I did it, I got a 58!!!!!
Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:13 pm by Bloodhound1958

» How to Post Pictures
Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:21 am by Bloodhound1958

» He Changes Everything
Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:09 pm by furvedere

John Carpenter Shout Out!
Alexandra Paul Shout Out!
Christine Movie Soundtrack
Youtube Filmscore Mix
Share | 

L-350, how to tell if it is a GC?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Finallya58
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: L-350, how to tell if it is a GC?   Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:49 pm

I can't post pictures yet, but my '58 Belvedere definitely has a 1958 350 and a cast iron 3 speed auto that has a '59 build date on it. The data pad below the distributor says "L-350" and has a random 5 digit number below that. The motor came with a 4bbl intake and original AFB. Intake casting number seems to come back to a '58 Dodge. As I gather more and more information about my car, it seems that it was put together from parts from a bunch of other '58 Plymouths about 25 years ago in California. I'm not terribly sure about anything as the internet has tons of conflicting information about this stuff.

The engine is hot.. I mean tire burning hot. She seems to have a decent size cam (which may be typical for the breed?)  I got her tuned up really good and slapped on an Edelbrock 600 that I had sitting around. That's just temporary, to drive the car for now until I can scrounge up some parts for the '58 dual quad intake that I came across.

I'm just curious to see if there is any way to tell if this is a GC or just a regular Dodge 350, if that is even a thing. I'm not really a Mopar guy so this is all pretty foreign to me at this point. Is there even a difference between a GC and standard? I'm suspicious that someone removed the dual quads from my car at some point and slapped the 4bbl on. Any help is appreciated!
Back to top Go down
Bloodhound1958
Founder/Webmaster/Administrator
Founder/Webmaster/Administrator

1ST. GENERAL OF THE KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

350 GC BB

PostSubject: Re: L-350, how to tell if it is a GC?   Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:46 pm

Hello Steve. Welcome to the CCC!

The 350 Golden Commando was available only in the plymouths with dual quads, dual point distributor and heat tube casting in the passenger side exhaust manifold for the choke. Check out my build thread to see pictures. It was also available with EFI though very rare and unlikely your car had that option.

The numbers on your engine are correct. Keep in mind that the 350 in the dodge had the same stamping. Of course it was not available with the 350GC accessories. Another thing to keep in mind is that the 350GC was supposed to have 10:1 compression out of the factory. Pretty sure the standard dodge 350 did not.

This may or may not help you though because it was not uncommon for folks to do away with the dual quad setups and refit for a single 4 barrel setups at the dealerships. Problems with the dual point distributors led to retrofits to single point distributors as well.

The only way to investigate further is to send in a request for your build sheet to Chrysler Historical. If the engine is original to the car and came with a 350GC out of the factory, there's a good chance it is a real GC350.

Hope this helps! Smile

http://www.christinecarclubforum.com
Finallya58
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: L-350, how to tell if it is a GC?   Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:55 pm

Hi! Thank you for the welcome. I guess I need to open the hood and check for the heat tube. I've got 135-140 pounds of compression in each cylinder which I think does equate to roughly 10:1. My distributor is a single point so that throws more crap in the game.

Thank you for the advice.... going to get with Chrysler Historical and see what I can find out.

-Steve
Back to top Go down

L-350, how to tell if it is a GC?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Christine Car Club :: Christine Car Club Tech Section :: Engine, Exhaust, Fuel and Ignition:-