The Christine Car Club

Not a member of the CCC? Come on in and register...membership is FREE!

Dedicated To The Restoration And Maintenance Of The 1957-1958 Plymouth

HomeCalendarFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Happy Anniversary CCC!
Latest topics
» Installing rebuilt 318
Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:21 pm by eva_392

» Our Loss Is Their Gain
Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:20 pm by 57belv

» Christianity 101
Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:18 pm by furvedere

» Photobucket House Cleaning
Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:07 pm by Bloodhound1958

» 58 Front Liscense Plate brackets
Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:37 pm by cooltoys1

» Front End Rebuild
Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:54 pm by 58belvedere

» Well, I did it, I got a 58!!!!!
Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:13 pm by Bloodhound1958

» How to Post Pictures
Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:21 am by Bloodhound1958

» He Changes Everything
Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:09 pm by furvedere

» Harry Dean Stanton RIP
Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:10 pm by JAG

John Carpenter Shout Out!
Alexandra Paul Shout Out!
Christine Movie Soundtrack
Youtube Filmscore Mix
Share | 

Title Or No Title. That is the question!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bloodhound1958
Founder/Webmaster/Administrator

1ST. GENERAL OF THE KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

350 GC BB

PostSubject: Title Or No Title. That is the question!   Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:41 pm

I just read that the 57 listed in our Online Finds section has no title. Now, normally I wouldn't give that a second thought BUT as we all know, two door hardtops are getting rarer by the day. Is it time for hobbyists to consider jumping through hoops to get salvage and/or custom tags for their future Christine's?

BigM could probably shed some light on this. A friend of mine is wrapping up his Cobra kit car and has applied with the NYS DMV for tags and a title. Whats to stop someone from doing that very same thing with a Christine tribute car built from various parts? I have two simple questions...

1.) IS IT LEGAL?
2.) IS IT ETHICAL?

Anybody want to take a stab at this? Cool

Back to top Go down
http://www.christinecarclubforum.com
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

OFFICIAL CHAPLAIN OF THE KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

ELITE GOLDEN COMMANDO CONTRIBUTOR

PostSubject: Re: Title Or No Title. That is the question!   Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:12 pm

Interesting thought Wayne. I heard of a guy who was a mechanic; took a 60 Plymouth in to work on, finished his work and the owner never came to pay his bill or pick up his car. By law he had to wait x amount of time...then he could apply for a title/registration and own the car. He did so and then put additional money/work into the car and fixed it up nicely. I guess in this case it's ethical.

When some of these people say "there's no title" I do believe it could mean there's only a transferable registration...right? That's what we have here in NYS for 1973 and older cars. In that case there should be no worry whatsoever.

Bob

And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has life, he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.
1 John 5:11-12 [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
JAG
Administrator
Administrator

1st LIEUTENANT OF THE KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

506/ 505hp Viper V10

PostSubject: Re: Title Or No Title. That is the question!   Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:20 am

it depends state to state, as long as there is a vin TAG in NYS you can get a legal title, i think any car without a title could be brought to NY and then a title can be had then it can be sold with a new NY title to whomever

Administrator
Administrator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

230 CI 6 Cylinder

PostSubject: Re: Title Or No Title. That is the question!   Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:13 am

Yeah, I know a few states don't have titles for older cars, but of course Minnesota is not one of those. Here you have to get a title for any car and if there isn't one, you go through a tedious process, or at least it used to be.

Administrator
Administrator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

Big Block 361

PostSubject: Re: Title Or No Title. That is the question!   Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:35 pm

In California,
A business can file a Mechanic's lien on a vehicle stored on their property to recoup for storage fees. If it is not disputed after going through the DMV system, you can then register the car in your name.

Sometimes titles can get misplaced, and the owner can fill out a 'Lost title, obtain duplicate title form, as long as the DMV shows them as the owner on record.

If the VIN number is not in the DMV database, you can fill out a 'Statement of facts' form stating you owned the car for years, and lost the pink slip.

I the VIN tag is missing, the state police must inspect the car for hidden serial numbers, if the number does not appear on record as to the owner, a state issued VIN tag is applied, which will be on the new title.

A few years ago a large company building Cobra kit cars, and selling them for upwards of $50,000 was titling cars through Broadway Title in Alabama, they are a non-title state, and the title simply read as a 1965 Ford, no mention of Cobra. Taxes were then paid on a $5,000 car, instead of the true value of the Cobra. DMV now will not honor paperwork from these companies, to combat tax fraud.

---John

1ST. GENERAL OF THE KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

350 GC BB

PostSubject: Re: Title Or No Title. That is the question!   Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:50 pm

Thanks for the input everyone!

So assume you buy a car with a Bill Of Sale and no tags. If I'm following John right one would then have to have the state police inspect the car and you may or may not be approved for a state issued VIN tag and title.

So, in essence it all boils down to buyer beware. Probably a good idea to do all of that BEFORE you start restoring or building the car! Laughing Maybe that 57 has a future after all! Smile

Back to top Go down
http://www.christinecarclubforum.com
ChristineFury
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: Title Or No Title. That is the question!   Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:40 pm

I had wondered it myself. Many times I look in GA craigslist and find good cars without a title as I believe cars older than 85 don't need a title but at least bill of sale. They are some really good prices too compared to here in FL.

In FL we have to have a title. After John's advice elsewhere I tried looking everywhere on titles in FL but nothing says anything about buying a car from a nontitle state and allowing someone to get a title here. Especially if you bought it with a bill of sale.

I think Florida is weird because they make you need a title but have no lemon law. So buying a car that might have problems is harder I guess as I know nothing about those laws.

Administrator
Administrator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

Big Block 361

PostSubject: Re: Title Or No Title. That is the question!   Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:27 pm

It's best to check with the DMV in the state the car resides, most will run the VIN number to see if an owner is on file, or the car is stolen. If clear, it is probably safe to go ahead with the purchase.

---John

CCC Moderator
CCC Moderator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

V8 Poly 318

PostSubject: Re: Title Or No Title. That is the question!   Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:56 pm

I have found out that it pays to know someone in the DMV. Makes the process a lot easier. Ive bought several cars with no titles and had no problem with getting titles for them. But I have never come across a car where the vin tags have been removed. I guess it would make me wonder why they were removed. I don't think I would even consider even buying it.

Brian.
Back to top Go down
Big M
Administrator
Administrator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

Big Block 361

PostSubject: Re: Title Or No Title. That is the question!   Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:27 am

Most cars use round or rosette rivets to hold the vin tag on, but these Plymouths have a couple light spot welds that secure them. Sometimes rust starts behind the tag, and 'Jacks' the tag right off. It's very common. I do agree that if the tag appears to have been tampered with, there could be major problems.

---John

Title Or No Title. That is the question!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Christine Car Club :: Non Automotive Off Topic Section :: General Discussion/World News & Off Topic Section-