The Christine Car Club

Not a member of the CCC? Come on in and register...membership is FREE!

Dedicated To The Restoration And Maintenance Of The 1957-1958 Plymouth

HomeCalendarFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Happy Anniversary CCC!
Latest topics
» Installing rebuilt 318
Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:21 pm by eva_392

» Our Loss Is Their Gain
Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:20 pm by 57belv

» Christianity 101
Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:18 pm by furvedere

» Photobucket House Cleaning
Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:07 pm by Bloodhound1958

» 58 Front Liscense Plate brackets
Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:37 pm by cooltoys1

» Front End Rebuild
Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:54 pm by 58belvedere

» Well, I did it, I got a 58!!!!!
Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:13 pm by Bloodhound1958

» How to Post Pictures
Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:21 am by Bloodhound1958

» He Changes Everything
Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:09 pm by furvedere

» Harry Dean Stanton RIP
Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:10 pm by JAG

John Carpenter Shout Out!
Alexandra Paul Shout Out!
Christine Movie Soundtrack
Youtube Filmscore Mix
Share | 

Furvedere's 58! Anyone Know Of A Good Hauler?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

OFFICIAL CHAPLAIN OF THE KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

ELITE GOLDEN COMMANDO CONTRIBUTOR

PostSubject: Furvedere's 58! Anyone Know Of A Good Hauler?   Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:04 pm

Does anyone know of a good hauler?...because I have been blessed to finally find a 58 Plymouth Belvedere!  cheers

I can't thank Bill (ozoner) enough for posting the link to this ad about a week ago. It's because of Bill taking the time to post it, I was able to call the seller right away. It's a long story but I was the first caller and I came right out and asked the seller to work with me and only me and he agreed!

Many thanks to Wayne (Bloodhound1958) as well...as he tirelessly helped me a tremendous amount to make the decision to buy this car. Some fine direction he gave me!

And thanks to you all as well...for the encouragement along the way..."pulling for me" the way you have.

Now...back to the title of this thread. The next step is to get her home safely....Denver Co. to Ontario, NY is a long way!  Over 1600 miles if I remember right.  Very Happy  

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has life, he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.
1 John 5:11-12 [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Joe Sportone
CCC Moderator
CCC Moderator

PostSubject: Re: Furvedere's 58! Anyone Know Of A Good Hauler?   Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:24 pm

Mr. Bob!!!!!!!!!! This is AWESOME! I am so excited for you! You have waited and waited and been patient and now you got her!
:worship:  

What a beauty. Could not have gone to a more serving man. Can't wait to see it. You're gonna have to take us through it and show us every detail ( I have to live my dream vicariously through you for a while longer)...

Whoot whoot!

Founder/Webmaster/Administrator

1ST. GENERAL OF THE KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

350 GC BB

PostSubject: Re: Furvedere's 58! Anyone Know Of A Good Hauler?   Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:26 pm

Its hard to put into words how I feel about this. There isn't a more deserving hobbyist out there. You've been through more than your fair share of headaches in your quest for a 58... I took it personally when you went through that MLC nightmare and I privately kept my fingers crossed in the hope you wouldn't lose your affinity for the hobby, our club and the "Christine Thing" in general.

I remember telling you that this was your year and although I'm no prophet I had a feeling the good Lord would bless you for doing his work here so diligently. I am absolutely thrilled for you! You were patient and fought hard to wait for the RIGHT car and it has finally paid off! A SOLID 58 Belvedere with a V8, sport tone trim, bumper wings etc. I look forward to being a part of Christining this car and helping you take that final journey to your long awaited dream! Any time a club member brings a new car into our family it's a special occasion but this one deserves special recognition! As the founder of this club and First General of the Knights Order of the CCC I hereby award you the rare Knights Of The CCC Special Recognition & Achievement Award.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]You stayed the course all these many years Bob. Well done! Smile

Back to top Go down
http://www.christinecarclubforum.com
Big M
Administrator
Administrator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

Big Block 361

PostSubject: Re: Furvedere's 58! Anyone Know Of A Good Hauler?   Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:12 pm

Congratulations on your purchase, Bob!!!!

Give my friend Leo Dickson a call at [602] 509-7720.

He has carefully transported many cars for me, he's a car guy, and understands what it means to care about getting your car home safely.

---John

Administrator
Administrator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

230 CI 6 Cylinder

PostSubject: Re: Furvedere's 58! Anyone Know Of A Good Hauler?   Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:20 pm

Well I'll be! Congratulations indeed Mr. Bob! Looks like you got a heck of a deal on that car! I'm excited for you! Dance Party

Administrator
Administrator

1st LIEUTENANT OF THE KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

506/ 505hp Viper V10

PostSubject: Re: Furvedere's 58! Anyone Know Of A Good Hauler?   Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:20 am

Wow Bob i am speechless, i am very happy for you and Wayne beat me to giving you the knights medal, you have absolutely earned it. i had my viper truck hauled back from Louisiana but i had a heck of a time getting a hauler and then come to find out i was talking to a broker the whole time who took out a $400 commission.

CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: Furvedere's 58! Anyone Know Of A Good Hauler?   Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:49 am

Excellent Bob, I'm so glad you got her. Can't wait to see her. I think you got a good one !!

Bill
Back to top Go down
58belvedere
CCC Member
CCC Member

Beefed up 350 Golden Commando

PostSubject: Re: Furvedere's 58! Anyone Know Of A Good Hauler?   Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:28 am

Congrats Robert! That is a fine car. The price was outstanding too. I contacted Leo, because Johns recommendation, on Tuesday to move the '57 I have at Big 'M's (John Fowlie) and he said he could do it in a couple weeks! He is doing it a reasonable price too. Marc.

350 GC BB

PostSubject: Re: Furvedere's 58! Anyone Know Of A Good Hauler?   Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:48 am

The good news is she needs very little to make her 100%. Bob has already procured a set of stone guards. He needs a 58 hood emblem and a 58 anodized faceplate for his 3 speed torqueflite pushbutton shifter. He also needs a complete accelerator firewall bracket and linkage assembly (unless you bought the set on Ebay Bob!). Anybody out there able to help Bob out? I've got the other piece of anodized dash trim he needs so any help anyone can lend him is most appreciated! Smile

The engine is likely a 318 but we're unsure if it is a 58 or not. He also has what appears to be a strange brake assist setup on the driver side inner fender.. Has anyone seen this before? Maybe John at BigM?????

With a set of new wide whites and the removal of the fender skirts she's gonna be perfecto! Well, that and some red paint! Laughing

Back to top Go down
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: Furvedere's 58! Anyone Know Of A Good Hauler?   Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:33 am

Well...thank you all for your enthusiasm and well wishes. I really appreciate it! I'm looking into getting her hauled home. John, I checked with Leo but he doesn't have an enclosed trailer and he's booked up right now...but I'll certainly remember him for any future (open) hauling jobs. Thank you. And again, thank you Wayne for taking such a personal interest...even in getting the parts I'll be needing to "Knight her" into Christine! From what I heard, her name has been Lucille...I hope she doesn't mind the name change.

Here's the photos of the engine bay...so you can see what Wayne is talking about...some kind of contraption for a brake booster...anybody recognize it...possible from another FL car? How about the motor...like Wayne said, "looks like a 318" and I just found a 58 Belvedere engine bay photo in my Classic Cars from the 50's book with same motor, same valve covers...but if someone recognizes this motor for sure, perhaps they could share what they know...otherwise I'll have to wait until she gets home so I can find the stamping on the motor.

Thank you for my new medal too Wayne!

and lastly, thank you dear Lord for giving me so much great help here at the CCC.

And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has life, he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.
Back to top Go down
Bloodhound1958

350 GC BB

PostSubject: Re: Furvedere's 58! Anyone Know Of A Good Hauler?   Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:17 pm

How much for the AHHH OOOH GAAA Horn Bob! I want it! Laughing

Back to top Go down
58belvedere
CCC Member
CCC Member

Beefed up 350 Golden Commando

PostSubject: Re: Furvedere's 58! Anyone Know Of A Good Hauler?   Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:52 pm

Ebay bracket?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Administrator
Administrator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

230 CI 6 Cylinder

PostSubject: Re: Furvedere's 58! Anyone Know Of A Good Hauler?   Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:36 pm

Wow. looks like a four barrel carb! I wonder if that's a vacuum reservoir for an aftermarket cruise control?

CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: Furvedere's 58! Anyone Know Of A Good Hauler?   Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:38 pm

58belvedere wrote:
Ebay bracket?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Good eyes Marc. Wayne immediately spotted my need for this linkage too and also found that very part assembly on E-bay too...saying it will work for many different carbs on all the Poly engines of that period. I'm going to wait just a little while until I decide whether this engine stays in the car or not though. I'm hoping it will and checks out ok. Thank you!

Bob

Back to top Go down
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: Furvedere's 58! Anyone Know Of A Good Hauler?   Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:46 pm

57belv wrote:
Wow. looks like a four barrel carb! I wonder if that's a vacuum reservoir for an aftermarket cruise control?

Yes, I'm reasonably sure it's a 4 barrel carb (Carter AFB 3256SA) that was probably added at some time as they obviously didn't take the time to get a factory air cleaner for it.

Wow...you know that never occurred to me Chris. I'm thinking it came from the factory with manual brakes ...but maybe that assy. on the driverside wheel well has nothing to do with the brakes. The seller was under the assumption that the car has power brakes. Now I'm wondering. scratch

hmmmm

Back to top Go down
57belv
Administrator
Administrator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

230 CI 6 Cylinder

PostSubject: Re: Furvedere's 58! Anyone Know Of A Good Hauler?   Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:15 pm

On closer inspection it looks like there are brake bleeders on that canister so maybe it is a remote power brake booster.
Found some pics of what I think you have. I never knew anyone made these!
Back to top Go down
Bloodhound1958

350 GC BB

PostSubject: Re: Furvedere's 58! Anyone Know Of A Good Hauler?   Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:35 pm

I think you nailed it Chris. It's just mounted in the opposite direction as the picture you shared. Is this a factory thing or aftermarket? Scoutparts.com? Interesting... Shocked

Back to top Go down
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: Furvedere's 58! Anyone Know Of A Good Hauler?   Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:36 pm

Wow...great investigative work there Chris...I take it this brake booster is aftermarket then? The photo of the engine bay there...Do you know what type car? Air cleaner looks 57 ish...but I see an oil canister there that doesn't fit the bill for 57 mopars. And where are they hiding the master cylinder?..Could this be a 40's car where they put the MC under the driver floor pan? That fan shroud looks like 40's too. This looks like it could be a V8 stuffed into the engine bay of a 40's car. Not much room in there. Looks crooked too... :popcorn:

Back to top Go down
Bloodhound1958

350 GC BB

PostSubject: Re: Furvedere's 58! Anyone Know Of A Good Hauler?   Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:44 pm

Looks like it's factory for Studebaker.

Back to top Go down
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: Furvedere's 58! Anyone Know Of A Good Hauler?   Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:36 pm

Studebaker??...Really?! I don't want no stinkin' Studebaker parts in my Plymouth. No No No No

Back to top Go down
Bloodhound1958

350 GC BB

PostSubject: Re: Furvedere's 58! Anyone Know Of A Good Hauler?   Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:56 pm

Ya never know Bob. It may have been used in other vehicles as well. Best wait for BigM to chime in on this one! Smile

Back to top Go down
57belv
Administrator
Administrator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

230 CI 6 Cylinder

PostSubject: Re: Furvedere's 58! Anyone Know Of A Good Hauler?   Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:16 pm

The one pictured I believe is a Bendix Hydrovac booster. From what I can find the line from the standard master cylinder is routed to the booster unit and the booster then is attached to the cars brake line. It's like a secondary master cylinder. It also seems that they were used in multiple applications, so more than just Studebakers.Smile

Here's an Australian version on ebay...http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-PBR-Australian-Made-Universal-Remote-Power-Brake-Booster-Assembly-/121473134964?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item1c485cf174&vxp=mtr
Back to top Go down
57belv
Administrator
Administrator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

230 CI 6 Cylinder

PostSubject: Re: Furvedere's 58! Anyone Know Of A Good Hauler?   Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:39 pm

Another bit of info!
Back to top Go down
goat19642004
CCC Moderator
CCC Moderator

493 C.I.

PostSubject: Re: Furvedere's 58! Anyone Know Of A Good Hauler?   Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:10 pm

Congratulations Bob! let me know when it comes home, I'd like to come over to see it.

1970 GTO Judge
2015 Challenger HELLCAT
2004 SRT 10 Viper
Back to top Go down
DevilsRide
CCC Moderator
CCC Moderator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

V8 Poly 318

PostSubject: Re: Furvedere's 58! Anyone Know Of A Good Hauler?   Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:58 pm

SOUND THE TRUMPETS!! RAISE THE FLAGS!! BOB PULLED THE TRIGGER!!

What a beauty Bob! Im very happy for you my friend! Very Happy

Party at Bobs!

Dance Party

Brian.
Back to top Go down
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: Furvedere's 58! Anyone Know Of A Good Hauler?   Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:19 pm

DevilsRide wrote:
SOUND THE TRUMPETS!! RAISE THE FLAGS!! BOB PULLED THE TRIGGER!!

What a beauty Bob! Im very happy for you my friend! Very Happy

Party at Bobs!

Dance Party

Brian.

Brian, Go back and look at what you wrote on the thread which Bill (ozoner) started (with the link to the craigslist ad for this car). Are you sure you're not a prophet? Very Happy Thanks guys...

Amazing...Bob

Back to top Go down
Big M
Administrator
Administrator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

Big Block 361

PostSubject: Re: Furvedere's 58! Anyone Know Of A Good Hauler?   Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:10 am

That Hydro-Vac booster was dealer installed, the original buyer of the car liked what they saw on the showroom floor, but wanted power brakes, so the dealer installed this. These were easier to install rather then replacing the hanging pedal assembly, booster, and master cylinder.

In the '80's I installed several of these for members of the Reno T-bird club ['55-'57], we were able to get them brand new then even.

---John

CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: Furvedere's 58! Anyone Know Of A Good Hauler?   Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:49 am

Big M wrote:
That Hydro-Vac booster was dealer installed, the original buyer of the car liked what they saw on the showroom floor, but wanted power brakes, so the dealer installed this. These were easier to install rather then replacing the hanging pedal assembly, booster, and master cylinder.

In the '80's I installed several of these for members of the Reno T-bird club ['55-'57], we were able to get them brand new then even.

---John

Thank you for this information John. I find it very interesting and positive too. Perhaps I'll leave it, if it works well...now that I know this? With the 57 Belvy I owned I always found that large bellows on top of the master cylinder very difficult to work on and of course the same with my 58 Firesweep. Getting the MC cover off and adding fluid was always extremely awkward and down right frustrating at times...but on the other hand this setup will never look "factory correct" either. I can't believe I've never seen one of these in a 57-58 Plymouth before.

John, Would you care to comment on the motor? I have a "Fabulous Cars from the 50's" Book with a photo of a 58 Plymouth-318 w/open hood...The motor and valve covers look identical to the photos. Does this look like a correct engine to you? The seller told me right away that this was not the original motor/trans...Didn't even call it a 318 at first so I'm a bit confused. I was told that the parking brake is where it belongs though (on the end of the trans.) and I have a photo of the dash. There's 5 pushbuttons on the trans. control pod indicating a torqueflight trans.

Thanks, Bob

Back to top Go down
57belv
Administrator
Administrator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

230 CI 6 Cylinder

PostSubject: Re: Furvedere's 58! Anyone Know Of A Good Hauler?   Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:02 pm

furvedere wrote:
Big M wrote:

---John

Thank you for this information John. I find it very interesting and positive too. Perhaps I'll leave it, if it works well...now that I know this? With the 57 Belvy I owned I always found that large bellows on top of the master cylinder very difficult to work on and of course the same with my 58 Firesweep. Getting the MC cover off and adding fluid was always extremely awkward and down right frustrating at times...but on the other hand this setup will never look "factory correct" either. I can't believe I've never seen one of these in a 57-58 Plymouth before.

John, Would you care to comment on the motor? I have a "Fabulous Cars from the 50's" Book with a photo of a 58 Plymouth-318 w/open hood...The motor and valve covers look identical to the photos. Does this look like a correct engine to you? The seller told me right away that this was not the original motor/trans...Didn't even call it a 318 at first so I'm a bit confused. I was told that the parking brake is where it belongs though (on the end of the trans.) and I have a photo of the dash. There's 5 pushbuttons on the trans. control pod indicating a torqueflight trans.

Thanks, Bob

Well it's definitely an "A" block poly motor so it's the right type, but as to the year Question Question Question Question My 58 sedan came with a 64 318 cause the original blew it's crank. I know John can elaborate as to the differences but what I noticed was the bell housing bolt pattern was slightly different, there was a casting on the block which prevented one of the stock exhaust manifolds to seat properly (I ground it down), and I believe the crank flange  depth is shorter on the later poly's.
Back to top Go down
roadrunninMark
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: Furvedere's 58! Anyone Know Of A Good Hauler?   Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:00 pm

congrats Bob, I just sent you a PM on one I found but I guess you don't need it!
Back to top Go down

Furvedere's 58! Anyone Know Of A Good Hauler?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Christine Car Club :: Non Automotive Off Topic Section :: General Discussion/World News & Off Topic Section-