The Christine Car Club

Not a member of the CCC? Come on in and register...membership is FREE!

Dedicated To The Restoration And Maintenance Of The 1957-1958 Plymouth

HomeCalendarFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Happy Anniversary CCC!
Latest topics
»  Electronic Distributor with 301ci
Yesterday at 4:03 pm by Jurrasic car

» Installing rebuilt 318
Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:21 pm by eva_392

» Our Loss Is Their Gain
Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:20 pm by 57belv

» Christianity 101
Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:18 pm by furvedere

» Photobucket House Cleaning
Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:07 pm by Bloodhound1958

» 58 Front Liscense Plate brackets
Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:37 pm by cooltoys1

» Front End Rebuild
Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:54 pm by 58belvedere

» Well, I did it, I got a 58!!!!!
Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:13 pm by Bloodhound1958

» How to Post Pictures
Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:21 am by Bloodhound1958

» He Changes Everything
Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:09 pm by furvedere

John Carpenter Shout Out!
Alexandra Paul Shout Out!
Christine Movie Soundtrack
Youtube Filmscore Mix
Share | 

A little help from my friends

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Arnie1964
CCC Member
CCC Member

"Badass" Poly 318!

PostSubject: A little help from my friends   Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:47 pm

I put all the new bearings, pistons rings ect in the 318 this weekend. The clearances are all great now but there are some things when I was puting the engine together that really bother me. If someone could take a pic of the head bolts on the lower part of the head it would help. The lower row of head bolts just don't seem to torque right. I am not sure if they are the right bolts or someone bought bolts for the head when they put it on. When I tigten down the lower row of bolts (the ones in line with the spark plugs) they don't seem to tighten down all the way. When I made the first round of torque (45 ft lbs) Some of the bolts heads were still 30-40 ths from making contact with the head. It seems like when I made the second round (85 ft lbs) it looks like the bolt heads engaged the heads but it does not seem like they tighten down the way I expected. I ran a tap through the bolt hole threads before putting the heads on. Only two things I can think of. 1. they are not the right bolts. 2. There is some kind of material in the bottom of the bolt holes causing the bolts not to tighten down. Thoughts? I ran int a problen getting the oil pump drive gear through the brass bushing in the block. It was really, really tight but did get it in and freed up with some WD 40 and elbow grease. The other thing that bothers me is this. I put on the camshaft end plate and oil diverter plate. After the plate comes a spacer and then the timing chain gear. Once I got that all on and the timing marks aligned I put on the ecentric for the fuel pump. The bolt hole in the ecentric has a little nip hole in one spot on the edge of the bolt hole. I thought maybe the key in the end of the cam engaged here to give it a positive drive. The eccentric does not reach the key therefore the only thing holding it in place is the bolt and washer and it would seem like this would possibly allow it to turn if the bolt got the slightest bit lose as the fuel pump arm rides on it. I did not take this engine apart so I have no referance and the new timing gears and chain were in a box so I am not sure if it it for a early 318. The repair manual does not specify and the pic's do not give enough deatil. This is the bad part about picking up where someone else leaves off. This may be right but I don't feel good about it at this time.

Administrator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

ELITE GOLDEN COMMANDO CONTRIBUTOR

Big Block 361

PostSubject: Re: A little help from my friends   Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:13 pm

I'll get you a photo or two tomorrow, Jim. Just got back from digging a Dodge out of a hillside in the mountains.

Sometimes oil or antifreeze will hydro-lock the bolts too, be sure there is no liquid down in the bolt holes.

---John

CCC Member
CCC Member

"Badass" Poly 318!

PostSubject: Re: A little help from my friends   Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:41 am

Big M wrote:
I'll get you a photo or two tomorrow, Jim. Just got back from digging a Dodge out of a hillside in the mountains.

Sometimes oil or antifreeze will hydro-lock the bolts too, be sure there is no liquid down in the bolt holes.

---John

I questioned that myself John. We used a lot of oil preserving the block and heads. I wraped the engine in plastic and pushed it into the corner for the next week. I figure if it is hydro lock some of it will bleed down or up throgh the threads and the torque shoud drop and ans. my question. If the torque does not drop I will pull a bolt or two, flush the threads with brake cleaner and blow out the bolt holes.

CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: A little help from my friends   Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:45 am

If the bolts have been replaced, they may require hardened washers also.
Back to top Go down
Dukeboy
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: A little help from my friends   Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:10 pm

This is why we "Mechanics" hate "Box jobs" Arnie. VERY hard to know if the parts (Bolts) are even correct for that engine. I'd be looking for a set of factory bolts, or at least ONE factory lower bolt to use as a reference.
Back to top Go down

A little help from my friends

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Christine Car Club :: Christine Car Club Tech Section :: Engine, Exhaust, Fuel and Ignition:-