The Christine Car Club

Not a member of the CCC? Come on in and register...membership is FREE!

Dedicated To The Restoration And Maintenance Of The 1957-1958 Plymouth

HomeCalendarFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Happy Anniversary CCC!
Latest topics
» This Will Take Place
Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:10 pm by furvedere

» Rear seat Frame
Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:09 pm by GG54321

» Frame metal thickness?
Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:10 pm by eva_392

» chrome! where to go?
Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:53 pm by JAG

» Got Peace?
Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:23 pm by goat19642004

» Daily Dose
Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:26 pm by 57belv

» Attention Newcomers To The CCC!
Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:22 pm by 57belv

» Running dual exhausts without a crossover.
Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:50 pm by eva_392

» Wurlitzer Jukebox Model 2510 Project. Any ideas?
Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:42 am by Bloodhound1958

» Aluminium Trim - Reanodise or Paint
Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:43 pm by Red Devil

John Carpenter Shout Out!
Alexandra Paul Shout Out!
Christine Movie Soundtrack
Youtube Filmscore Mix
Share | 

Question regarding a passage from Leviticus

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JAG
Administrator
Administrator

1st LIEUTENANT OF THE KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

ELITE GOLDEN COMMANDO CONTRIBUTOR
506/ 505hp Viper V10

PostSubject: Question regarding a passage from Leviticus   Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:47 am

ok so i have thought about getting a tattoo. a few of my family members brought up Leviticus 19:28 which reads:

"28'You shall not make any cuts in your body for the dead nor make any tattoo marks on yourselves: I am the LORD."

so i decided to read the other verses and was surprised to see that verse 27 reads:

"27'You shall not round off the side-growth of your heads nor harm the edges of your beard."

so if it is against the word of the Lord to get a tattoo why is it ok for 90% of the people on earth to shave and get a haircut?

i was going to ask my priest but i wanted to get Bobs and any other members opinion on this matter first.

thanks everyone Very Happy

CCC Chaplain

OFFICIAL CHAPLAIN OF THE KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

PostSubject: Re: Question regarding a passage from Leviticus   Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:09 pm

You're a good humble man Joe. Searching the Word of God before you make a decision on what you do to your body is very good. Fabulous question...fabulous thinking...thank you! The book of  Leviticus was for the Jews of the Old Testament. We are in New Testament times now...and thank the good Lord that we (as Gentiles) have been grafted into God's Salvation plan through Christ's crucifixion/sacrifice on the cross, death, burial and resurrection! That doesn't mean that ALL of the Old Testament laws are no longer any good though. There's plenty in there that would benefit us to live healthy, long, godly lives.

I have heard both sides of this argument but what you've brought up here makes good sense to me and to many others, including plenty of modern day theologians. The scripture you have referred to here basically states: don't cut/mark your bodies for the dead...don't trim your sideburns/beard. First of all, it sounds as if they had a weird tradition of cutting/marking themselves when they lost a loved one. That should be common sense not to do that right? How about for the obvious reason for infection? I suppose the same could be said for getting an infection from a tattoo though. But what are we doing by going to the barber to get our hair cut then right?! Should we all look like Grisly Adams? :-) I see your point Joe...totally! Good point but also a bit confusing I must say.

But...if you have been saved by the blood of Jesus Christ and His Holy Spirit within your heart, you should want to please Him in ALL you do, so please pray on it whether you should get a tattoo. I think what the tattoo is, and where the tattoo is will make a big difference in your decision as well. It is pretty much a permanent thing you are about to do to your body, so try to think practically in the long term as well. Many people have gone overboard and now have many tattoos. Some have tattoos all over their body, neck and head! Most likely, sooner or later they'll probably wish they didn't get all those tattoos.

I always try to think of anything I do in this way. Will it bring glory to God? That can keep us out of trouble in ALL areas of life. I know as a Bible believing Christian, I don't want to do anything but give glory to God. What I do is a reflection of my testimony about Him. That's why referring to what God says in the Bible and then praying on it is the best way to go. He didn't want the Jews of old to mark their bodies for a good reason...perhaps we shouldn't as well.

Remember though, all of the New Testament is for us...to all people since Jesus was here on earth with us. The Old testament was for the Jews of old, before Christ came to earth, BUT...most all of it is still beneficial. When I say "most all of it" it is because the Jews had like 612-613 laws to adhere to. Talk about legalism? Wow! Even to this day, if you see an Orthodox Jew, you'll know why his beard and sideburns are so long and...why he won't have any tattoos either. :-)  I'll give you just one more "for instance" in the Old Testament. God told the Jews to abstain from eating all unclean animals...which included pork (pigs). It's not a coincidence that trichinosis was rampant back then but now it's all but a disease of the past because we know so much more about it. Who thinks of the Jewish law when eating pork now?

I hope this helps you Joe. I hope it helps all of us. Anything that brings us closer to God and what He wants for us is the best.

Bless you,

Bob

And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has life, he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.
1 John 5:11-12 cheers
Back to top Go down
JAG
Administrator
Administrator

1st LIEUTENANT OF THE KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

506/ 505hp Viper V10

PostSubject: Re: Question regarding a passage from Leviticus   Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:40 pm

Bob, thank you so very much for taking the time to answer my question, you have enlightened me. i should have done more research and i would have seen Leviticus was the old testament. i agree with the points you have made, i may never get a tattoo but i wanted to have the option available if i ever did decide.

Founder/Webmaster/Administrator

1ST. GENERAL OF THE KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

350 GC BB

PostSubject: Re: Question regarding a passage from Leviticus   Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:56 pm

I never got a tattoo because of what the Bible says. If God intended me to have one I would have been born with it.

http://www.christinecarclubforum.com

Question regarding a passage from Leviticus

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Christine Car Club :: Non Automotive Off Topic Section :: CCC Fellowship In Christ-