The Christine Car Club

Not a member of the CCC? Come on in and register...membership is FREE!

Dedicated To The Restoration And Maintenance Of The 1957-1958 Plymouth

HomeCalendarFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Happy Anniversary CCC!
Latest topics
» He Changes Everything
Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:09 pm by furvedere

» Harry Dean Stanton RIP
Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:10 pm by JAG

» Hope Amidst Illness
Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:40 pm by Bloodhound1958

» INTERESTING YOUTUBE VIDEO
Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:05 am by JAG

» New 4 wheel toy!
Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:16 pm by JAG

» Converting 350 to Electronic Ignition..
Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:15 am by Bloodhound1958

» New christine lp
Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:25 am by goat19642004

» What will work with a 440?
Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:58 pm by 57belv

» Christine's exhaust sound?
Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:02 pm by eva_392

» New Front Brake Drums (11x2)
Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:42 pm by eva_392

John Carpenter Shout Out!
Alexandra Paul Shout Out!
Christine Movie Soundtrack
Youtube Filmscore Mix
Share | 

It's ALIVE! It's ALIVE! Muhahahahah!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Bloodhound1958
Founder/Webmaster/Administrator

1ST. GENERAL OF THE KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

350 GC BB

PostSubject: It's ALIVE! It's ALIVE! Muhahahahah!   Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:03 am

Yesterday was such a beautiful day I decided to spend it outside going through the Wurlitzer jukebox. After unwrapping it I removed the power supply from Chris' neatly packaged toaster box and checked the fuses. One was missing so I looked in my toolbox and found a replacement 8 amp fuse. I then put it in and plugged in the various power wiring.

I noticed there was a TON of dust and dirt in there so I hit it with some compressed air and blew out the whole cabinet. I then plugged it in making sure to let everything slowly warm up. I immediately noticed that at least 3 tubes were blown out it the amp. I didn't get deterred and decided to lubricate a few of the moving mechanism parts and made a record selection.

It moved the record into place but the tone arm didn't move. I studied it very carefully and lubricated it at the joint and manually moved it back and forth until it moved freely. I made another record selection and it moved the record into place and this time the tone arm took it's correct play position. The record was spinning but there was no sound. I then realized that there was no stylus! I found one taped to the cover and installed it.

It was about this time that I heard that pleasant hum coming from the amp. I made one last selection and made a slight adjustment to the tone arm tension spring. Everything was working but there was no sound. Then I found the VOLUME adjuster!!!!!!

Back to top Go down
http://www.christinecarclubforum.com
Bloodhound1958

350 GC BB

PostSubject: Re: It's ALIVE! It's ALIVE! Muhahahahah!   Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:18 am

Really? It's blocked because of the song? Unreal! Laughing I'll see what I can do later tonight! :Marc :

The good news is she works great! Even with 3 burned out amp tubes! Unfortunately the original lights and assemblies are gone so I'll have to come up with something. Still, a great victory on a jukebox that everyone else before me seems to have given up on! Smile For what it's worth, this is the song it played! LOL!

Back to top Go down
Big M
Administrator
Administrator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

ELITE GOLDEN COMMANDO CONTRIBUTOR

Big Block 361

PostSubject: Re: It's ALIVE! It's ALIVE! Muhahahahah!   Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:45 pm

That's really cool, Wayne!!

---John

Administrator
Administrator

1st LIEUTENANT OF THE KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

506/ 505hp Viper V10

PostSubject: Re: It's ALIVE! It's ALIVE! Muhahahahah!   Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:19 pm

im sorry Wayne but that is just too funny that you broke copyright law LOL Very Happy

350 GC BB

PostSubject: Re: It's ALIVE! It's ALIVE! Muhahahahah!   Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:02 pm

JAG wrote:
im sorry Wayne but that is just too funny that you broke copyright law LOL Very Happy

Here's my second attempt Joe! Let's see if I can do it again! LOL!

Back to top Go down
57belv
Administrator
Administrator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

230 CI 6 Cylinder

PostSubject: Re: It's ALIVE! It's ALIVE! Muhahahahah!   Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:27 pm

Congrats Wayne on getting it to play! That's awesome! Dance Party
Back to top Go down
Bloodhound1958

350 GC BB

PostSubject: Re: It's ALIVE! It's ALIVE! Muhahahahah!   Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:55 pm

Big M wrote:
That's really cool, Wayne!!

---John

57belv wrote:

Thanks Guys! Smile

Back to top Go down
Joe Sportone
CCC Moderator
CCC Moderator

PostSubject: Re: It's ALIVE! It's ALIVE! Muhahahahah!   Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:22 pm

Wow.... Cool and kinda eerie.... I LOVE it!

CCC Moderator
CCC Moderator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

V8 Poly 318

PostSubject: Re: It's ALIVE! It's ALIVE! Muhahahahah!   Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:23 pm

AMAZING!!! Something told me you would get that gem playing Smile Sounds good too.. For a juke that probably hasn't played a record for many many years I think she sounds darn good. The key is to oil all the key parts. You will notice it will begin to run through the motions better and better as you use it. Well done Wayne Smile

You just have to love the sound of tube amps! Truly a very natural sound! Wink

Brian.
Back to top Go down
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

OFFICIAL CHAPLAIN OF THE KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

PostSubject: Re: It's ALIVE! It's ALIVE! Muhahahahah!   Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:51 am

Excellent! Congratulations...that had to be such a wonderful surprise for you Wayne.

Rock On Rock On

Bob

And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has life, he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.
1 John 5:11-12 [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
JAG
Administrator
Administrator

506/ 505hp Viper V10

PostSubject: Re: It's ALIVE! It's ALIVE! Muhahahahah!   Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:35 am

wow it sounds awesome. i cant wait to hear it in person "hint" "hint" "wink" "wink" Very Happy

350 GC BB

PostSubject: Re: It's ALIVE! It's ALIVE! Muhahahahah!   Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:44 am

57belv wrote:

Thanks Chris!

Joe Sportone wrote:
Wow.... Cool and kinda eerie.... I LOVE it!

I thought the same thing Joe! Smile

DevilsRide wrote:
AMAZING!!! Something told me you would get that gem playing Smile Sounds good too.. For a juke that probably hasn't played a record for many many years I think she sounds darn good. The key is to oil all the key parts. You will notice it will begin to run through the motions better and better as you use it. Well done Wayne Smile

You just have to love the sound of tube amps! Truly a very natural sound! Wink

Brian.

Thanks Brian, Unfortunately most of the records were no good. Many were broken, warped and scratched. I salvaged only a handful. I learned very quickly that the sound you get is only as good as the record your playing. Smile

furvedere wrote:
Excellent! Congratulations...that had to be such a wonderful surprise for you Wayne.

Rock On Rock On

Bob

Sure was Bob, Had a smile on my face all day! Smile

JAG wrote:
wow it sounds awesome. i cant wait to hear it in person "hint" "hint" "wink" "wink" Very Happy

Your welcome any time Joe! Smile

Back to top Go down
DevilsRide
CCC Moderator
CCC Moderator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

V8 Poly 318

PostSubject: Re: It's ALIVE! It's ALIVE! Muhahahahah!   Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:43 pm

Wayne how very true! Smile  Records wear out fairly quick to be honest. I remember when they introduced diamond needles. Sound quality was fantastic but it ate the records up very quick. I played one so much it turned the record a chalky white and of course the sound of the record was very fuzzy.  But im very happy to see you got that gem to play! Good for you my friend! Smile

Brian.

Btw! Good song by Bobby Darin. I think that was released in 58! Wink
Back to top Go down
Bloodhound1958

350 GC BB

PostSubject: Re: It's ALIVE! It's ALIVE! Muhahahahah!   Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:31 am

Now that I know the juke works I'm rethinking my overall approach as far as refurbishing it. The sound quality has a long way to go. I received a new needle today and it didn't make much difference.

I'm going to try the tubes first, but it's apparent that the speakers have seen better days. The plan is to send the speakers out for restoration and eventually replace the broken glass top cover. Once I rig up some internal lights and clean up the grille she won't look half bad! Smile

I may even look for new speakers that could improve the sound. Anyone have any advice on speaker wiring from the amp to the speakers? It's seen better days! Smile

Back to top Go down
DevilsRide
CCC Moderator
CCC Moderator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

V8 Poly 318

PostSubject: Re: It's ALIVE! It's ALIVE! Muhahahahah!   Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:24 pm

Wayne, I have seen some nice replacement type speakers on ebay. They are new. The type of speakers you want are high efficient type or you want a high SPL. Tube amps are very accurate in sound but are very limited in power. You also want to know the ohms of the speakers. If you have a ohm meter you can measure the ohms of the old ones in there to get an idea. What is confusing about your juke is that it has three speakers. If its a stereo sound system having an odd number speaker in there makes no sense to me. Its always an even number on each channel. 2n2 or 1n1. Id like to know how they have that wired!! I would think the larger woofers would be more full range to lows and the single smaller one would be mid to highs. I don't know if that is a true stereo sound they use or if its more of a stereo "like" sound. Basically the smaller speaker would act like a reverb giving it an echo or stereo sound.  If it doesn't sound right to you..it might be wired wrong. If memory serves me right someone has replaced one of the speakers with an odd ball type.  If you have any questions Wayne feel free to ask! I think with a little speaker upgrade you can make that juke sound very good! Smile

Brian.
Back to top Go down
Bloodhound1958

350 GC BB

PostSubject: Re: It's ALIVE! It's ALIVE! Muhahahahah!   Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:36 pm

Hi Brian!

Yes, as it turns out the speakers are wired wrong. Sadly, the amp is missing two rca plugs. (Removed). I managed to use channel B and a single rca on channel A for the large bass speaker. Sounds better but has a long way to go. As it turns out none of the tubes are burned out. I think the amp needs to be gone through again by a qualified service shop.

Unfortunately, the selector unit started malfunctioning yesterday so I'm a bit agitated. Only one side of the records play regardless of the selection. I've spent this whole weekend reading the manual and trying to figure out the problem. It's been very frustrating. I have a suspicion that it may be the carriage or reversing switch although the one I have looks different than what's shown in the manual. I tried google to find a new switch and got zilch. Any idea where I might find one?

Back to top Go down
Big M
Administrator
Administrator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

Big Block 361

PostSubject: Re: It's ALIVE! It's ALIVE! Muhahahahah!   Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:28 pm

I've never fooled with jukeboxes much, but I used to fix old pinball machines when I was younger, and they are both basically, electro-mechanical. Start by inspecting and burnishing all brass contacts, as a tiny bit of corrosion can cause big trouble.

---John

CCC Moderator
CCC Moderator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

V8 Poly 318

PostSubject: Re: It's ALIVE! It's ALIVE! Muhahahahah!   Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:02 pm

Wayne, Just what John said is what you want to do! Those contacts im sure are dirty. They get like a carbon type build up on them from making contact and breaking contact over and over. Also from sitting they become oxidized which isn't good either for making contact. Sometimes you have to adjust them so they make good contact. If it is a relay that is the cause its most likely a leaf type relay. Very common and yes very frustrating. Those ball bowlers I restore. Ive found out that it is just best to clean/check all contacts otherwise you will be chasing one after another and that will try your patients!! Very Happy

Brian.
Back to top Go down
Bloodhound1958

350 GC BB

PostSubject: Re: It's ALIVE! It's ALIVE! Muhahahahah!   Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:18 am

Thanks for the advice guys. Sadly, while cleaning a contact in the changer there was an arch from my screwdriver. Even with the power off and the juke unplugged there must have been a charge to the system. Now the amp is dead. Sad Looks like I have no choice but to send it out. No fuses blown and no power. Sad

Back to top Go down
JAG
Administrator
Administrator

506/ 505hp Viper V10

PostSubject: Re: It's ALIVE! It's ALIVE! Muhahahahah!   Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:23 pm

wow i had no idea they retained power like that. sad that you had to learn that the hard way

CCC Moderator
CCC Moderator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

V8 Poly 318

PostSubject: Re: It's ALIVE! It's ALIVE! Muhahahahah!   Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:14 pm

Sorry to hear this Wayne, Older amps do hold a charge after there unplugged. Just like old tube TV's .Very likely the capacitors still had a good charge in them. Also good size power supplies tend to hold a charge after there unplugged as well. When working on these one should always ground the chassis. Or unplug the components inside from each other so they cant back feed. Another thing I do is remove all fuses while working on it. That breaks the circuit from current back feed.

Brian.
Back to top Go down
Bloodhound1958

350 GC BB

PostSubject: Re: It's ALIVE! It's ALIVE! Muhahahahah!   Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:24 pm

10-4 Brian, I'm not going to leave anything to chance. First to be sent out will be the amp. I want to see what the deal is with it. It will cost at least $500.00 to do it and replace all 11 tubes if they are needed.

Back to top Go down
57belv
Administrator
Administrator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

230 CI 6 Cylinder

PostSubject: Re: It's ALIVE! It's ALIVE! Muhahahahah!   Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:31 pm

Well that's unfortunate to hear Wayne, it sounded like things were off to a good start too.

CCC Moderator
CCC Moderator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

V8 Poly 318

PostSubject: Re: It's ALIVE! It's ALIVE! Muhahahahah!   Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:03 am

Bloodhound1958 wrote:
10-4 Brian, I'm not going to leave anything to chance. First to be sent out will be the amp. I want to see what the deal is with it. It will cost at least $500.00 to do it and replace all 11 tubes if they are needed.
 I hope it all goes well with it Wayne Smile  Im sure who ever is doing the amp will give it a full once over.  Im sure if they have done these type of tube amps they will be able to test each tube with a tube tester. Tube testers tell you how much life is left in a tube and if it is good. It breaks it down in percentage usually. One would test a tube and it may have 80% life left. Which would make it a good tube. Once a tube starts to fall below a certain percentage it falls out of tolerance and the sound can become very distorted or it may just not play at all. Its kinda like the life of a light bulb. But in your case we will see what they find out! All fingers crossed! Cheers my friend! Smile

Brian.
Back to top Go down
Bloodhound1958

350 GC BB

PostSubject: Re: It's ALIVE! It's ALIVE! Muhahahahah!   Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:39 pm

Thanks Guys! My problem is I think I can fix anything. 99% of the time I can. As much as I hate admitting I know nothing about tube amps I have a feeling it will be cheaper in the long run to have an expert go through it. Still, I'm tempted to buy a set of new tubes and see what happens.

I just got word that the dash stuff I sent out for chroming for christine is done so I'll likely switch gears and come back to this in the fall. Wink

Back to top Go down
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

OFFICIAL CHAPLAIN OF THE KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

PostSubject: Re: It's ALIVE! It's ALIVE! Muhahahahah!   Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:11 pm

So sorry to hear that your amp was damaged accidentally Wayne. I've heard that those capacitors can hold a charge for a long time but never actually witnessed it first hand. All this talk about tubes brings back memories. Does anyone remember their dad taking the tubes out of the family tv...taking them up to the drug store to check them...one by one in the tube testing machine in the back of the store? I use to help my dad do that...this thread has brought back some fond memories...Thanks Wayne...and everyone. Still remember helping him find the right socket to plug each tube in...setting the switches in the right configuration and then pressing the test button and watching the needle rise to tell us if the tube was bad or good.

Good Stuff...There was not a throw away mentality back then

Bob

And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has life, he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.
1 John 5:11-12 [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Joe Sportone
CCC Moderator
CCC Moderator

PostSubject: Re: It's ALIVE! It's ALIVE! Muhahahahah!   Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:37 pm

Sorry to hear about the amp but glad to see you back working on Christine!

350 GC BB

PostSubject: Re: It's ALIVE! It's ALIVE! Muhahahahah!   Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:19 pm

Thanks Bob and Joe! Your right Bob... "Throw Away Mentality" indeed. Those are some great memories though! My father would rarely spend money to fix something. He could repair anything and if he absolutely had to spend money to do so he made sure it was the absolute minimum. I remember once the spark ignitor went on the dryer. It was a large electrical mechanical spark unit and one day it just quit. He and I went to the local electric repair shop and I assumed we were just going to buy a new one. He picked the guys brain for twenty minutes until the old timer explained that there were two electrodes that likely burned out. Rather than buy a whole new ignitor for $25.00 he bought two electrodes for $2.25... We went home, he opened it up and there they were... 2 burned electrodes. He removed them, got out his old school soldering iron and put them in. It worked another 20 years!!!!LOL!

He knew how to stretch a buck. He was old school alright! Smile

Back to top Go down
JAG
Administrator
Administrator

506/ 505hp Viper V10

PostSubject: Re: It's ALIVE! It's ALIVE! Muhahahahah!   Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:00 pm

those are some awesome stories Bob and Wayne really makes me wish i was born in the 40s so i could enjoy the "good" years. Glad to hear you are going to get that dash done that means youll be needing my help soon Very Happy

350 GC BB

PostSubject: Re: It's ALIVE! It's ALIVE! Muhahahahah!   Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:53 pm

Hell yeah Joe. I'll pick up the chromed parts this friday. Till then I'm gonna mess with the amp a little. Last night I decided to plug it in and look at it in the dark. She's getting power and a few tubes are dimly lit. I have a hunch the arc blew out a power tube. I ordered a complete new set of tubes because someone has been in the amp already and replaced the capacitors. It's a gamble but I just can't let go until I exhaust all my own efforts. It's a sickness I tell ya! Laughing

Back to top Go down

It's ALIVE! It's ALIVE! Muhahahahah!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Christine Car Club :: Non Automotive Off Topic Section :: General Discussion/World News & Off Topic Section-