The Christine Car Club

Not a member of the CCC? Come on in and register...membership is FREE!

Dedicated To The Restoration And Maintenance Of The 1957-1958 Plymouth

HomeCalendarFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Happy Anniversary CCC!
Latest topics
» hard to find
Yesterday at 9:59 am by Jurrasic car

» BRAKE LAMP SWITCH LOCATION?
Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:30 pm by GOREDFURY

»  Electronic Distributor with 301ci
Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:03 pm by Jurrasic car

» Installing rebuilt 318
Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:21 pm by eva_392

» Our Loss Is Their Gain
Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:20 pm by 57belv

» Christianity 101
Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:18 pm by furvedere

» Photobucket House Cleaning
Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:07 pm by Bloodhound1958

» 58 Front Liscense Plate brackets
Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:37 pm by cooltoys1

» Front End Rebuild
Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:54 pm by 58belvedere

» Well, I did it, I got a 58!!!!!
Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:13 pm by Bloodhound1958

John Carpenter Shout Out!
Alexandra Paul Shout Out!
Christine Movie Soundtrack
Youtube Filmscore Mix
Share | 

Pictures Needed

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bloodhound1958
Founder/Webmaster/Administrator

1ST. GENERAL OF THE KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

350 GC BB

PostSubject: Pictures Needed   Fri May 08, 2015 4:35 pm

I need some pictures of the spring assembly on the firewall with parking brake attached. My spring was disconnected and is just hanging there and I haven't the slightest how it connects up to the parking break assembly. Any help would be most appreciated. Heck, I may even throw in an autographed Moochie picture!!! HINT! HINT! Smile

http://www.christinecarclubforum.com
JAG
Administrator
Administrator

1st LIEUTENANT OF THE KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

ELITE GOLDEN COMMANDO CONTRIBUTOR
506/ 505hp Viper V10

PostSubject: Re: Pictures Needed   Sat May 09, 2015 2:40 am

sorry wayne i remember disconnecting mine so i cant help

Administrator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

230 CI 6 Cylinder

PostSubject: Re: Pictures Needed   Sat May 09, 2015 2:46 am

Which spring are you referring to? Can you post a pic of the area in question?

CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

OFFICIAL CHAPLAIN OF THE KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

PostSubject: Re: Pictures Needed   Sat May 09, 2015 10:31 am

Don't mind the hanging light bulbs...A previous owners handy work! I hope this helps..if you need additional photos let me know. Very Happy

Bob

And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has life, he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.
1 John 5:11-12 cheers
Back to top Go down
Bloodhound1958

1ST. GENERAL OF THE KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

350 GC BB

PostSubject: Re: Pictures Needed   Sat May 09, 2015 11:19 am

Perfect BOB! Just what the doctor ordered! Those light bulbs look aftermarket to me. Might want to trace them to the source and just remove them. If there's one thing I hate it's butchered wiring! That would drive me crazy.

Hopefully today and tomorrow I will make some progress. The plan is to replace one stripped firewall bolt and get the drip shield for the A/C installed. Once that's done I can install the AC thermostat and top dash vents permanently and reinstall the wiper assy. From there I'll connect the hydraulic oil cylinder lines and the dash will be ready for installation. If I can finish up the dash this week it can go in next weekend! Keeping my fingers crossed! Smile

Just an FYI Bob I have replacement dash knobs for your worn ones and an autographed Moochie picture as well as the power steering box seal kit for you in appreciation for your help! Thanks! Smile

http://www.christinecarclubforum.com
57belv
Administrator
Administrator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

230 CI 6 Cylinder

PostSubject: Re: Pictures Needed   Sat May 09, 2015 11:23 pm

Good job Bob, I looked at mine and there is no spring!

CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: Pictures Needed   Sun May 10, 2015 12:34 am

I'll trade my spring for your wiring Chris lol! ...Your wiring looks very tidy...Looks unmolested...nice!

It's still not obvious where the top of that spring goes. Even with your spring not being there Chris...I can't make out where it would attach.

And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has life, he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.
Back to top Go down
DevilsRide
CCC Moderator
CCC Moderator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

V8 Poly 318

PostSubject: Re: Pictures Needed   Sun May 10, 2015 3:27 pm

Hummm Chris im not sure where your spring goes either!  I would think 57s had a spring there. Now im curious if I have a spring!!..  Chris your car probable didn't come with it because your car was in the assembly line right when they went on break and it slid by them after break!! LOL.. Shocked

Brian Smile
Back to top Go down
57belv
Administrator
Administrator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

230 CI 6 Cylinder

PostSubject: Re: Pictures Needed   Sun May 10, 2015 9:31 pm

DevilsRide wrote:
Hummm Chris im not sure where your spring goes either!  I would think 57s had a spring there. Now im curious if I have a spring!!..  Chris your car probable didn't come with it because your car was in the assembly line right when they went on break and it slid by them after break!! LOL.. Shocked

Brian Smile

I think them guys took lots of unauthorized breaks back then! lol!  I wonder if it's the difference between manual trans cars and automatics? I knoe my car is supposed to have a spring that attaches from the brake linkage to the floor pan.

CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: Pictures Needed   Mon May 11, 2015 8:17 am

Remember Artie Johnson on Laugh-In? I am dating myself here but he played in this short skit where he was dressed up as a German Soldier and he would say "very interesting".... in a thick German accent. That's what I'm thinking here.

Why would a manual transmission dictate a spring underneath vs. a spring under the dash? Automatic = no park = full reliance on e-brake....Manual = leaving it in gear for park = not full reliance on the e-brake....hmmm

Big M would know.

Back to top Go down
DevilsRide
CCC Moderator
CCC Moderator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

V8 Poly 318

PostSubject: Re: Pictures Needed   Mon May 11, 2015 10:13 pm

furvedere wrote:
Remember Artie Johnson on Laugh-In? I am dating myself here but he played in this short skit where he was dressed up as a German Soldier and he would say "very interesting".... in a thick German accent. That's what I'm thinking here.

Why would a manual transmission dictate a spring underneath vs. a spring under the dash? Automatic = no park = full reliance on e-brake....Manual = leaving it in gear for park = not full reliance on the e-brake....hmmm

Big M would know.
 Bob it does shock me that the automatics rely solely on an e-brake for park. I find that very unsafe in my book.  Can you imagine living in San Francisco where the streets are all very hilly. I get these images in my head from back in the day when these cars were all over. One would go in to a store or what ever and come out to find there Plymouth had rolled down the street! I would bet im not too far off of that image either! ha ha. Very Happy I hear that a 1965 torque flight transmission has a locking park and is cable shift. If I can I would like to make that transmission work in my car. Wink

Brian.
Back to top Go down
57belv
Administrator
Administrator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

230 CI 6 Cylinder

PostSubject: Re: Pictures Needed   Mon May 11, 2015 10:24 pm

I've heard you were supposed to park with the front wheels turned toward the curb, so it would stop the car from moving downhill. As for the difference in the parking brakes, the manual trans has an external band style brake whereas the autos use an internal brake similar to the regular axle drum setup.

CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: Pictures Needed   Mon May 11, 2015 10:29 pm

DevilsRide wrote:
furvedere wrote:

Big M would know.
 Bob it does shock me that the automatics rely solely on an e-brake for park. I find that very unsafe in my book.  Can you imagine living in San Francisco where the streets are all very hilly. I get these images in my head from back in the day when these cars were all over. One would go in to a store or what ever and come out to find there Plymouth had rolled down the street! I would bet im not too far off of that image either! ha ha. Very Happy I hear that a 1965 torque flight transmission has a locking park and is cable shift. If I can I would like to make that transmission work in my car. Wink

Brian.

That's the transmission I have in my 58 Brian...cable shift with the park function. The only problem is that the e-brake is not on the back end of the transmission so you would have to find a more modern rear end...you know with the e-brake at the rear wheels. That's what my car is lacking. I know my 318 engine is out of a 64...I would assume the transmission is from a 64 as well but I do not know how to verify it. I have heard 1958-1961 torqueflights are cable shift without park and they have the e-brake on the tailshaft of the transmission. 1962-1964 torqueflights are the cable shift with park with no e-brake on the tailshaft of the transmission. So in 62...that's when they moved the e-brake to the rear wheels. In 65 they discontinued the pushbutton transmissions and went to the steering column shift so I do not believe there was cable shift in 65 torqueflights. I wish John from Big M would chime in here and verify my thoughts. I'm not sure of all this but it makes sense to me.

Bob

Back to top Go down
DevilsRide
CCC Moderator
CCC Moderator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

V8 Poly 318

PostSubject: Re: Pictures Needed   Mon May 11, 2015 10:36 pm

furvedere wrote:
DevilsRide wrote:
furvedere wrote:

Big M would know.

Brian.

That's the transmission I have in my 58 Brian...cable shift with the park function. The only problem is that the e-brake is not on the back end of the transmission so you would have to find a more modern rear end perhaps...you know with the e-brake at the rear wheels. That's what my car is lacking. I know my 318 engine is out of a 64...I would assume the transmission is from a 64 as well but I do not know how to verify it. I have heard the cable shift with park torqueflights are 62, 63 and 64 but I am not sure. In 65 they discontinued the pushbutton transmissions and went to steering column shift. I wish John from Big M would chime in here and verify my thoughts. I'm not sure of this but it makes sense to me.

Bob
So Bob are you saying your 58 actually does have a locking park? I can see im going to have to do some investigating on what has a locking park! Smile

Brian.
Back to top Go down
DevilsRide
CCC Moderator
CCC Moderator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

V8 Poly 318

PostSubject: Re: Pictures Needed   Mon May 11, 2015 10:43 pm

57belv wrote:
I've heard you were supposed to park with the front wheels turned toward the curb, so it would stop the car from moving downhill. As for the difference in the parking brakes, the manual trans has an external band style brake whereas the autos use an internal brake similar to the regular axle drum setup.
 Well Chris good point with turning the wheels. That does help put my mind at ease. Now I wont have those nightmares of my car rolling down the street. Instead I now have the image of it jumping the curb and going through my picture window in my house! :affraid:

Hee! Hee!

Brian.
Back to top Go down
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: Pictures Needed   Mon May 11, 2015 10:47 pm

Yes Brian...I have a locking park because someone swapped this engine and trans out and installed a later drive train. I read the number on the motor (v-318) and I know it's out of a 1964...I'm assuming the transmission is also a 64 as it has the park function and it does not have the e-brake on the tailshaft so at the moment, I have no e-brake in this car! I have two options...find a 58, 59, 60, 61 transmission with the e-brake on the tailshaft or...find a later model rear end with the e-brake at the rear wheels. There may be a third option...not sure yet though...swap rear wheel e-brake parts to fit into the rear end that's in my car. Not sure but this may be done too. Again, all this is sketchy right now...not positive about it...yet

Bob

Back to top Go down
DevilsRide
CCC Moderator
CCC Moderator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

V8 Poly 318

PostSubject: Re: Pictures Needed   Mon May 11, 2015 11:32 pm

furvedere wrote:
Yes Brian...I have a locking park because someone swapped this engine and trans out and installed a later drive train. I read the number on the motor (v-318) and I know it's out of a 1964...I'm assuming the transmission is also a 64 as it has the park function and it does not have the e-brake on the tailshaft so at the moment,  I have no e-brake in this car! I have two options...find a 58, 59, 60, 61 transmission with the e-brake on the tailshaft or...find a later model rear end with the e-brake at the rear wheels. There may be a third option...not sure yet though...swap rear wheel e-brake parts to fit into the rear end that's in my car. Not sure but this may be done too. Again, all this is sketchy right now...not positive about it...yet

Bob
Well Bob this is all very new to me. But I want to know my options before I pick something and run with it! I would like too really have a parking lock. But do you have a slip yoke drive shaft then? Looks like I am going to have to do some reading to understand more.
Thanks Bob! Smile

Brian.
Back to top Go down
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: Pictures Needed   Tue May 12, 2015 9:33 am

DevilsRide wrote:
furvedere wrote:
Yes Brian...I have a locking park because someone swapped this engine and trans out and installed a later drive train. I read the number on the motor (v-318) and I know it's out of a 1964...I'm assuming the transmission is also a 64 as it has the park function and it does not have the e-brake on the tailshaft so at the moment,  I have no e-brake in this car! I have two options...find a 58, 59, 60, 61 transmission with the e-brake on the tailshaft or...find a later model rear end with the e-brake at the rear wheels. There may be a third option...not sure yet though...swap rear wheel e-brake parts to fit into the rear end that's in my car. Not sure but this may be done too. Again, all this is sketchy right now...not positive about it...yet

Bob
 Well Bob this is all very new to me. But I want to know my options before I pick something and run with it! I would like too really have a parking lock. But do you have a slip yoke drive shaft then? Looks like I am going to have to do some reading to understand more.
Thanks Bob! Smile

Brian.

Not sure what a slip yoke drive shaft is. Are you referring to a ball/trunion drive shaft that's found on the 57 and 58's? If that's your question...no, that's gone out of my car as well. We need to talk too. I'll find some time to give you a call this week. You know as we find out the facts we should start a new thread over in the transmission/drive train section. Nobody would ever find this good info. in this thread.

Back to top Go down
DevilsRide
CCC Moderator
CCC Moderator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

V8 Poly 318

PostSubject: Re: Pictures Needed   Wed May 13, 2015 12:02 am

furvedere wrote:
DevilsRide wrote:
furvedere wrote:

Bob
Thanks Bob! Smile

Brian.

Not sure what a slip yoke drive shaft is. Are you referring to a ball/trunion drive shaft that's found on the 57 and 58's? If that's your question...no, that's gone out of my car as well. We need to talk too. I'll find some time to give you a call this week. You know as we find out the facts we should start a new thread over in the transmission/drive train section. Nobody would ever find this good info. in this thread.
I totally agree Bob. Info like this requires a new thread. It would make a good reference for others to go too as well. Your always thinking! Smile

Brian.
Back to top Go down
Big M
Administrator
Administrator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

Big Block 361

PostSubject: Re: Pictures Needed   Wed May 13, 2015 11:35 am

Velly intelesting! [I remember Artie Johnson on Laugh in too!]

The spring is just to return the cable to relaxed position after it is released. I have also seen the manual transmission cars using only the undercar spring to perform this task, the geometry on the E-brake linkage is different at the trans, which is why this was done. All automatic cars should have the spring where Bob's is located.

---John

Pictures Needed

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Christine Car Club :: Christine Car Club Tech Section :: Brakes, Wheels and Tires:-