The Christine Car Club

Not a member of the CCC? Come on in and register...membership is FREE!

Dedicated To The Restoration And Maintenance Of The 1957-1958 Plymouth

HomeCalendarFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Happy Anniversary CCC!
Latest topics
» hard to find
Yesterday at 9:59 am by Jurrasic car

» BRAKE LAMP SWITCH LOCATION?
Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:30 pm by GOREDFURY

»  Electronic Distributor with 301ci
Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:03 pm by Jurrasic car

» Installing rebuilt 318
Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:21 pm by eva_392

» Our Loss Is Their Gain
Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:20 pm by 57belv

» Christianity 101
Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:18 pm by furvedere

» Photobucket House Cleaning
Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:07 pm by Bloodhound1958

» 58 Front Liscense Plate brackets
Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:37 pm by cooltoys1

» Front End Rebuild
Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:54 pm by 58belvedere

» Well, I did it, I got a 58!!!!!
Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:13 pm by Bloodhound1958

John Carpenter Shout Out!
Alexandra Paul Shout Out!
Christine Movie Soundtrack
Youtube Filmscore Mix
Share | 

Bible Study

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

OFFICIAL CHAPLAIN OF THE KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

ELITE GOLDEN COMMANDO CONTRIBUTOR

PostSubject: Re: Bible Study    Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:50 am

Ok it looks like we're ready to move on. Let's look at John 1 verses 14-18...

14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth. God came down from heaven in the form of Jesus Christ and lived on earth dwelling with man and as a man. He was 100% God and 100% man, perfect and sinless in every way. Jesus is the one and only Son of God, sharing the same divine nature as God. He spoke complete truth about how to properly live this life and gave us explicit direction on how to enter the next (eternal) life too. He was full of grace and compassion, healing the sick and teaching us how to love one another like God intended. He lived life as a perfect example for us to see...even to the extreme of laying down His life for us as a payment for our sins.

15 John bore witness of Him and cried out, saying, “This was He of whom I said, ‘He who comes after me is preferred before me, for He was before me.’”

16 And of His fullness we have all received, and grace for grace.  

17 For the law was given through Moses, but grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.  

18 No one has seen God at any time. The only begotten Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, He has declared Him.

I'll take verse 14...anyone up for taking 15 and on...? One by one is fine and keeping it simple is best because it gets complicated to get in real deep. (a lot of typing and reading)

Thanks and blessings to all that read/participate...

And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has life, he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.
1 John 5:11-12 cheers
Back to top Go down
JAG
Administrator
Administrator

1st LIEUTENANT OF THE KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

506/ 505hp Viper V10

PostSubject: Re: Bible Study    Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:56 pm

i believe what John is saying in verse 15 is that Jesus "IS" God. when he says he was "before me" i think he is meaning Jesus/God Created him and that the people should not be following him but should be following Jesus/God.

CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: Bible Study    Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:57 pm

JAG wrote:
i believe what John is saying in verse 15 is that Jesus "IS" God. when he says he was "before me" i think he is meaning Jesus/God Created him and that the people should not be following him but should be following Jesus/God.

Joe, You hit the nail right on the head. Yes...this is exactly what verse 15 is saying. John the apostle is writing this...and he is referring to what John the baptist said of Jesus. A bit confusing since there's 2 Johns here...but when you really think about it, John the apostle could have said this too. All of us can say this too because Jesus/God was before us and He created us! And yes...most importantly what you have included Joe...we should all be following Jesus/God with the power of His indwelling Holy Spirit.

Well said Joe...and thank you for your participation. God will bless you for it.

Bob

And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has life, he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.
Back to top Go down
Mischa1958
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: Bible Study    Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:44 am

furvedere wrote:

My Dutch translation says; "Indeed/since from His fullness we have all received, even grace upon grace."

I think it means that we can all receive from His fullness. Fullness means, I think, that He is all. We don't have to expect anything from ourselfs, we have been saved by grace, not by our own works.
Back to top Go down
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: Bible Study    Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:11 am

Mischa1958 wrote:
furvedere wrote:

My Dutch translation says; "Indeed/since from His fullness we have all received, even grace upon grace."

I think it means that we can all receive from His fullness. Fullness means, I think, that He is all. We don't have to expect anything from ourselfs, we have been saved by grace, not by our own works.

I believe you are right on here Mischa. Thank you so much for your input. I was wondering about this verse but using Ephesians 2:8-9 makes very good sense. That is Paul's famous "grace" verse. And the way you described "that we can all receive from His fullness" is excellent. You're right! While His grace is available to us all, from the "good person" even to the vilest of sinners, we all have a choice to make. Even if we can't see it right now because the eyes of our hearts are blinded, in the end, it is a choice between between good and evil. We cannot stay neutral and wait on the sidelines. A "no" choice or a "let's just wait and see" choice is a choice for evil and eventually, spiritual death. Receiving Jesus Christ by faith through God's grace is the choice we all can make and is a choice for all that's good and spiritual life! Will the reader make this choice today or continue to take their chances and wait on the sidelines?

Again thank you for your input Mischa.

We can move on to 17 or perhaps there are more comments?

Bob

Back to top Go down
Mischa1958
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: Bible Study    Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:31 am

I don't want to be the one that gives a reaction every time, but my fingers itch...!

furvedere wrote:

17 For the law was given through Moses, but grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.
Well, I think this says it all. We are no longer under the law, but under grace.

But question; is the law still applicable? Are we still supposed to keep the law even though we cannot be saved by keeping it (if that is even possible for us man), but by grace given through Jesus Christ only?
Back to top Go down
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: Bible Study    Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:46 am

Mischa1958 wrote:
I don't want to be the one that gives a reaction every time, but my fingers itch...!

furvedere wrote:

Well, I think this says it all. We are no longer under the law, but under grace.

But question; is the law still applicable? Are we still supposed to keep the law even though we cannot be saved by keeping it (if that is even possible for us man), but by grace given through Jesus Christ only?

I almost woke this thread up myself last night Mischa but I thought the same thing. I don't want to be the one that's always doing that! Maybe the Lord will provide more interest soon. cheers Thanks Mischa, I'm really grateful for you. I'm glad your fingers were itching Laughing Laughing

You are right on with what you typed....Moses gave the law (through the ten commandments) but Jesus Christ fulfilled them with His death on the cross, burial and resurrection three days later. Jesus said in Matthew 5:17"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. Even though man may try...he cannot keep the 10 commandments, therefore God provided a way for man's sins to be atoned for...thus the reason God came down from heaven to become a man...and He loved us so much He became a sacrifice for our sins. (John 3:16)

Amazing stuff huh? Once we believe in God's salvation plan, admit we are sinners, receive Christ as our Savior, turn from our sin, we become highly aware of our sin. Our conscience becomes alive! We start to become "sanctified"...which is a process of becoming more Christ-like. I like to say "we don't become sinless...but we do sin less." Because the Holy Spirit now resides inside us...He guides us to do the right things...and when we still do what we ought not to do, we really feel bad about it and strive to make further changes to become closer to Jesus. We still have the sin nature though and should never say in our hearts..."well, I've received Christ as my Savior...I can get away will this one little sin. He'll forgive me." Our flesh will never serve God! When we carry thoughts like these out, it's called presumptuous sin. We "presume" we'll be forgiven. This is very dangerous and is Satan's work in us. Just like what Paul said in Romans 7 (14-25) We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.

So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!

That's why...as Christians we should wake up with this prayer every day, Lord help me to walk in your Spirit and not in my flesh today. I could go on and on about this but I won't. I'll leave some space for someone else. Wink

Thanks for reading everyone. May the Lord touch your heart with His truth...

Bob

Back to top Go down
JAG
Administrator
Administrator

506/ 505hp Viper V10

PostSubject: Re: Bible Study    Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:05 pm

dont feel bad for being the only ones responding, i am reading every bit of it and trying to understand it all the best that i can.

CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: Bible Study    Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:05 pm

JAG wrote:
dont feel bad for being the only ones responding, i am reading every bit of it and trying to understand it all the best that i can.

I'm glad the things of the Lord interest you Joe. That's evidence of God's Spirit at work in your heart. I appreciate all of your input too. Don't ever be reluctant to chime in.

Bob

Back to top Go down
Mischa1958
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: Bible Study    Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:50 am

Let's continue;

furvedere wrote:
18 No one has seen God at any time. The only begotten Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, He has declared Him.
This verse says one very important thing; Jesus is God in the flesh. God came down to earth as a human being, being God and Man at the same time, just for one reason; to save us from sin by giving His live for us.
Back to top Go down
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: Bible Study    Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:26 am

Thanks Mischa...What you have said here is right on.

I'll comment too...Jesus was God in the flesh and it's the apostle John here stating it, using a very unique way to describe it...by being in the "bosom" of the Father. After reading additional translations it's obvious John is trying to emphasize the closeness of God the Father and God the Son...two separate entities of the Holy Trinity but One in Spirit. In the Old Testament, God appeared to man in various forms. To state just a few examples; as three angelic beings to Abraham, as fire in the burning bush...and in "the cloud" to Moses but as old testament times drew to a close...God appeared to men in the flesh as Jesus Christ. He was 100% man and 100% God. He will come again.

This fact alone should draw us to God..it should grab our attention to listen to Him...and to His salvation plan....not the way we ourselves think we should come to God. Our ways are lowly and come from our own sinful, prideful thoughts. I've heard this statement before and it rings true time and time again. Religion is man's way to reach God. Jesus Christ is God's way to reach man. God has devised a perfect plan to save us...through His Son Jesus Christ. We should recognize our own futility and sinfulness and "run" to Christ for salvation in humility and gratitude.

Bob

Back to top Go down
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: Bible Study    Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:18 pm

It's time to move on now...John 1:19-28, These verses are titled: A Voice in the Wilderness.

19 Now this is the testimony of John, when the Jews sent priests and Levites from Jerusalem to ask him, “Who are you?”

20 He confessed, and did not deny, but confessed, “I am not the Christ.”

21 And they asked him, “What then? Are you Elijah?” He said, “I am not.” “Are you the Prophet?”

And he answered, “No.”

22 Then they said to him, “Who are you, that we may give an answer to those who sent us? What do you say about yourself?”

23 He said: “I am The voice of one crying in the wilderness: “Make straight the way of the Lord,”

as the prophet Isaiah said.”

24 Now those who were sent were from the Pharisees.

25 And they asked him, saying, “Why then do you baptize if you are not the Christ, nor Elijah, nor the Prophet?”

26 John answered them, saying, “I baptize with water, but there stands One among you whom you do not know.

27 It is He who, coming after me, is preferred before me, whose sandal strap I am not worthy to loose.”

28 These things were done in Bethabara beyond the Jordan, where John was baptizing.

I don't think we need to go verse by verse on this set. I'd like to start by asking: Who is this voice in the wilderness (v23)? And, Whose sandal strap is he not worthy to loose(n) (v27)?

Additional comments are all welcome. All participation is encouraged and welcomed. Please...the more participation...the more interesting this Bible study will become! And remember, there are no dumb questions.

Bob

Back to top Go down
JAG
Administrator
Administrator

506/ 505hp Viper V10

PostSubject: Re: Bible Study    Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:14 am

i believe the VOICE was the LORD and the sandal strap he was not worthy to loose was that of Jesus Christ. Jesus is the one who stands before them whom they do not know

CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: Bible Study    Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:03 am

Thanks Joe...You're right about the One they did not know, whose sandal strap he (John the Baptist) was not worthy to untie but the voice was John the Baptist. Interestingly in response to the questions of the priests and Levite's, John's answers were progressively shorter. "I am not the Christ" (v20), "I am not" and "no" (v21). He did not want to talk about himself for his function was to point to Another. He had an Elijah type ministry. He appeared on the scene suddenly and even dressed like Elijah. He sought to turn people back to God just as Elijah did in his day. (That's what America desperately needs to do!) He is the voice while Jesus is the Word (as we have talked about already). His function was one of preparation and was carried on in the dessert (the voice of one crying in the wilderness). When asked why he was baptizing, he explained that another One was coming Who was unknown to them. That coming One is so great that John considered himself unworthy to do even the lowliest service for Him (such as untying His sandals). So John the Baptist was talking about Jesus. He was preparing the hearts for the coming Messiah...the Savior of the world.

Can you imagine what an exciting time this was? Only a person that realizes that they are a sinner and...understands that they need to be saved...Only a person that has received Jesus Christ as their Savior and is trying to walk closely with Him each day can understand this excitement. This should be the true meaning of "awe".

Joe, I really appreciate your keen interest and willingness to participate. We are all (should be anyways) students of God's Word and this is the only way to learn...so my prayer here is: dig in everybody!

Back to top Go down
JAG
Administrator
Administrator

506/ 505hp Viper V10

PostSubject: Re: Bible Study    Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:37 am

yes Bob, i reread the verses and i see now that John was the voice, i originally thought it was the voice of God telling John of the coming of Christ. Thank you for the time and effort you put into this section, as i find it very helpful and interesting Very Happy

CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: Bible Study    Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:04 pm

JAG wrote:
yes Bob, i reread the verses and i see now that John was the voice, i originally thought it was the voice of God telling John of the coming of Christ. Thank you for the time and effort you put into this section, as i find it very helpful and interesting Very Happy

Joe, I got to thinking after my last response. You know...you weren't wrong with saying it was the Lord talking....because it really was. God used John the Baptist...The Spirit of God was talking through John to tell others of the coming of Jesus Christ. God still uses people today to speak His Word...especially when they're in His Word...reading it and striving to walk with Him closely. Wouldn't it be great if/when God uses us to spread His message?

Thanks again Joe...something to think about huh?

Bob

Back to top Go down
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: Bible Study    Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:38 am

Ok...We'll move on to the next few verses. This section is titled "The Lamb of God"

29 The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, “Behold! The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!  

30 This is He of whom I said, ‘After me comes a Man who is preferred before me, for He was before me.’  

31 I did not know Him; but that He should be revealed to Israel, therefore I came baptizing with water.”

32 And John bore witness, saying, “I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and He remained upon Him.  

33 I did not know Him, but He who sent me to baptize with water said to me, ‘Upon whom you see the Spirit descending, and remaining on Him, this is He who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.’  

34 And I have seen and testified that this is the Son of God.”

I find verse 30 especially interesting because after John the Baptist describes Jesus as the Lamb of God, he says ‘After me comes a Man who is preferred before me, for He was before me.’

Why? There is definitely more here that we can/should discuss, but lets just start with this one first. Please, any additional comments welcome...

Back to top Go down
Bloodhound1958
Founder/Webmaster/Administrator
Founder/Webmaster/Administrator

1ST. GENERAL OF THE KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

350 GC BB

PostSubject: Re: Bible Study    Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:23 pm

Verse 29 The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, “Behold! The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!

What strikes me is the excitement in John's words. You can feel the joy in his proclamation even though it brings to light the ultimate sacrifice Jesus will make.

As the Lamb of God, Jesus will suffer and die. Yet in so doing he trail blazes a real path to forgiveness for us all. His death enables us to repent and seek forgiveness. How exactly I don't know but sure hope to find out! Smile

http://www.christinecarclubforum.com
1958PlymouthFuryChristine
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: Bible Study    Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:19 pm

Wayne,
I believe the reason for us being able to repent and seek forgiveness is because of the fact Jesus died on the Cross for all of our sins. It is because Jesus loves us all more than we will ever know.
That is why we can repent and seek forgiveness. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: Bible Study    Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:31 pm

Wayne...Jackie...You both have hit on some really good thoughts here...and as Christians we even tend to forget them and/or take for granted.

Wayne said: As the Lamb of God, Jesus will suffer and die. Yet in so doing he trail blazes a real path to forgiveness for us all. His death enables us to repent and seek forgiveness. How exactly I don't know but sure hope to find out!

Jackie said: It is because Jesus loves us all more than we will ever know.
That is why we can repent and seek forgiveness.

I think this scripture verse (below) applies to both of your thought provoking comments.

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—not by works, so that no one can boast. Ephesians 2:8-9

It's by grace we have been saved. Grace is "getting what we don't deserve." Not one of us (whether good or bad in man's eyes) deserves the truly awesome gift God has given us. God loves us so much that He gave His only Son to die for us (sinners)...so we can be forgiven. And Jesus loves us so much He willingly went to the cross to save us. His love enables us to be saved. And it is through faith we believe it. We won't fully understand it until we reach glory. God has supplied it all though. He even gave us the faith to believe! He not only supplied the grace to be saved but even the believing! It is not of ourselves, it is the gift of God. This is what's behind the song; Amazing Grace!

What the reader here needs to know though...We all have a choice to make while we are living and breathing here on earth. Will we choose to believe God's salvation plan and embrace it...or will we just go on our merry way doing what "we ourselves think" will get us to heaven. Sadly, some to choose to not even believe in God at all! Even though I don't fully understand it, by faith I choose to believe God's way and not my own...and that in itself is a gift that God gave to me.

Bob

PS...Thanks so much Wayne...Jackie. I'm so glad we didn't skip over verse 29 now. That was such a valuable discussion. Any other comments? If not, how about verse 30?

Back to top Go down
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: Bible Study    Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:02 pm

You are welcome Bob. Very Happy
The song, Amazing Grace, is my favorite song that we sing in my church! It is just such a beautiful song! To me- it really shows me God's love when I sing it in church. cheers
I believe this is the version of Amazing Grace that we sing in my church:

Back to top Go down
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: Bible Study    Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:10 pm

Thanks Jackie for posting Amazing Grace. Very Happy  I wonder how many people really listen to the words and understand the truth of God's Word behind them all.

Ok...I'll take verse 30. This is He of whom I said, ‘After me comes a Man who is preferred before me, for He was before me

In verse 30, John the Baptist is talking about Jesus. Although Jesus came to the earth after John...actually just a few months afterwards, as Elizabeth (John's mother) gave birth to John a few months before Mary gave birth to Jesus. Although Jesus' birth was after John's, John says "Jesus is preferred before me, for He was before me". Why? Because Jesus is God and God is the Creator of everything, therefore He was preferred before John and came before John...and everything for that matter.

I looked up the meaning for the word "preferred": like (one thing or person) better than another or others; tend to choose.
"I prefer Venice to Rome"
synonyms: like better, would rather (have), would sooner (have), favor, be more partial to.

Makes much more sense now doesn't it? Jesus was and still is preferred to John. John prepared the way for Jesus and told the multitudes that He was coming...but Jesus was better...Jesus was favored...we should be and must be more partial to Jesus.

Bob

Comments anyone?

Back to top Go down
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: Bible Study    Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:47 pm

You are welcome Bob. Very Happy
And Bob- your count of how many people actually listen to the words of a song and can understand God's Word behind it?
Well, you can count me as 1. Very Happy

And Bob- on verse #30-
just to clarify something,
Jesus is actually not God. Jesus is the Son of God. Jesus is God's only begotten Son. Jesus's father, God, is the Creator of everything.

Yes- it does make more sense now since you gave us the meaning of the word "preferred".
Back to top Go down
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: Bible Study    Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:47 pm

Jackie, I have to respectfully disagree with you. Jesus was...and is God. The Holy Trinity is three separate entities of the Godhead, The Father, The Son and Holy Spirit all are equal. You are right that Jesus was the Son of God. The Son of God was one of Jesus' titles while He was here on earth...Son of Man was another...and He had many more as well, but here are a few scriptures to back up the fact that Jesus was God while He was here on earth and He still is God.

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Philippians 2:5-7 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:

Matthew 1:23 Behold, the virgin shall be with child, and bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel,” which is translated, “God with us.”

John 10: 30-33 Jesus answered them, “I and My Father are one.” Then the Jews took up stones again to stone Him. Jesus answered them, “Many good works I have shown you from My Father. For which of those works do you stone Me?” The Jews answered Him, saying, “For a good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy, and because You, being a Man, make Yourself God.”

John 14:9-11 Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long and yet you have not known Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; so how can you say, 'Show us the Father'?”

Colossians 1:15-16  He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him.

1 Timothy 3:16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifested in the flesh, Justified in the Spirit, Seen by angels, Preached among the Gentiles, Believed on in the world, Received up in glory.

Here's a link to a website with more scriptures if you'd like to take a look.

http://bugman123.com/Bible/JesusIsGod.html

Bob

Back to top Go down
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: Bible Study    Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:56 pm

Ok, Bob my mistake.
Sorry about that.
I see that you are most definitely right...Smile
Back to top Go down
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: Bible Study    Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:14 am

No need to be sorry. I'm still a student too Jackie. It's so good you are humble and open to the truth of the holy scriptures. Ultimately, they are the standard for us all! Smile That's why it's so important we read them...every day.

There are denominations out there that diminish the deity of Jesus Christ. I still can't figure out how they can ignore all the scriptures that back up the fact that Jesus Christ was God in the flesh though. But then I think about this. Did you ever hear someone say "I've tried reading the Bible and I just don't get it." If an unsaved person tries reading the Bible it is very difficult to understand because the Holy Spirit is not with them. I'm not saying that an unsaved person can't get saved by reading the Bible, but the heart needs to be "into it." Once saved by believing on the Lord Jesus Christ, then the Holy Spirit comes and resides in the heart and actually opens the person up to be taught. Humility is one of the first signs that the Holy Spirit is in the heart. You just exhibited that without hesitation.  Smile

And yes, without searching the scriptures, it's easy to get "off track" too. It's difficult to wrap our human minds around the fact that there's three separate Beings to the Holy Trinity but at the same time, They're still all One. For instance, was God still in heaven when Jesus was here on earth...sure He was, because Jesus prayed to His heavenly Father all the time. He also referred to Him all the time. Then I think...well if God is in heaven then how can Jesus be God? Then I read the Bible and come across the scriptures (we just read) and it becomes obvious once again. There are many other scriptures that support the fact of the holy Trinity too. Remember when the Holy Spirit descended on Jesus (like a dove) as He was baptized? I always wind up coming to the same conclusion: It will all be crystal clear some day and that day may be sooner than I think.

Thanks Jackie,

Bob

Back to top Go down
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: Bible Study    Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:53 pm

And Bob,
just to let you know why I thought that Jesus wasn't God but instead the Son of God is cause in my church I just got a little off track cause my understanding was that they were teaching me that there was 1 God and 1 Jesus- so then I thought and they were also teaching me that Jesus was the Son of God. So that is why I thought this...
So thank you Bob for pointing me in the right direction that Jesus is actually God.
Also now that I know the real truth it also makes a whole lot more sense to me on how Jesus performed those miracles here on Earth when He was here. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: Bible Study    Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:24 pm

1958PlymouthFuryChristine wrote:
And Bob,
just to let you know why I thought that Jesus wasn't God but instead the Son of God is cause in my church I just got a little off track cause my understanding was that they were teaching me that there was 1 God and 1 Jesus- so then I thought and they were also teaching me that Jesus was the Son of God. So that is why I thought this...
So thank you Bob for pointing me in the right direction that Jesus is actually God.
Also now that I know the real truth it also makes a whole lot more sense to me on how Jesus performed those miracles here on Earth when He was here. Very Happy

You weren't wrong saying Jesus was the Son of God because He was...but He was and is God too! The Father, The Son and the Holy Spirit are all One. The Holy Trinity is three separate Beings all in One. It's hard for us to grasp...just one of those things that we'll have to believe by faith until we meet Him....Them. Look at this scripture. Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.” Genesis 1:26

Did you ever notice this before? The typical reader will skim right over this and miss it. This is the first mention of God being more than one being in the Bible. Of course as read on in the Bible, we learn of the Holy Spirit and Jesus the Savior too. The first time I was shown this...I thought it was so cool.

We should get back to the Bible Study now...

Bob

Back to top Go down
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: Bible Study    Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:21 pm

31 I did not know Him; but that He should be revealed to Israel, therefore I came baptizing with water.”

32 And John bore witness, saying, “I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and He remained upon Him.  

33 I did not know Him, but He who sent me to baptize with water said to me, ‘Upon whom you see the Spirit descending, and remaining on Him, this is He who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.’  

34 And I have seen and testified that this is the Son of God.”

These verses basically cover John's testimony that Jesus is the Son of God; the One that God sent "to baptize with the Holy Spirit."  Notice that John mentions twice that he did not know Him (even though Jesus was John's first cousin). I honestly believe John is trying to make a point here, that it was God Who revealed it to Him that Jesus is the One that God sent to be the Savior of the World; the One that baptizes with the Holy Spirit. This is why the dove is "the symbol" for the Holy Spirit...because the Holy Spirit descended on Jesus and remained on Him...like a dove. In verse 33, all three entities of the Holy Trinity are mentioned. God the Father has revealed it to John the Baptist, that the Holy Spirit would descend on God's chosen One, Jesus Christ, the Savior of the World.
Also in these verses, we should not leave out the fact that John paved the way for Jesus as John baptized with water. He preached to the people that they need to repent (turn away) from their sins. Water baptism was a symbolic gesture as well as a public proclamation that a person wanted to change and turn to God for the forgiveness of their sins. It's the same today...the water baptism is not what saves...but just a symbolic gesture and a public proclamation that a person wants to be saved. Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and His finished work on the cross for the forgiveness of our sins is what saves us from an eternal death in hell. Just as John the Baptist "paved the way" for Jesus...Jesus "paved the way" for us to be saved by His finished work on the cross.

Any further questions before I move on in the book of John?

Thanks all for reading while growing closer to the Lord... Smile

Bob

Back to top Go down
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: Bible Study    Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:23 pm

On the topic of the dove being the symbol for the Holy Spirit---
I thought that I would share this nice old country song, Wings of a Dove by Ferlin Husky from 1960.
Why I shared this song is cause this song is how I would describe it is a country/gospel song about the dove being the symbol of the Holy Spirit.
This is one of my favorite old country songs, it has a beautiful sound to it... Hope you enjoy this song too! Smile

Back to top Go down

Bible Study

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Christine Car Club :: Non Automotive Off Topic Section :: CCC Fellowship In Christ :: CCC Bible Study-