The Christine Car Club

Not a member of the CCC? Come on in and register...membership is FREE!

Dedicated To The Restoration And Maintenance Of The 1957-1958 Plymouth

HomeCalendarFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Happy Anniversary CCC!
Latest topics
» Stock 1958 tires
Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:19 pm by 58belvedere

» 58 rear window gasket and drip rail moldings
Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:18 pm by JAG

» Looking for Trinidad carpet
Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:59 pm by 58belvedere

» 1958 Plymouth - Chrstine!
Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:17 pm by Matthewc

» threaded rod ?
Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:26 am by Jurrasic car

» Victor keychains
Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:53 pm by JAG

» Hell Hath No Fury Like Her: The Making of Christine by Lee Gambin
Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:13 pm by ghostsoldier

» Attention Newcomers To The CCC!
Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:25 am by drofmotors

» The Work of Your Hands
Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:38 pm by furvedere

» Questions about Christine
Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:10 pm by Christinefan824

John Carpenter Shout Out!
Alexandra Paul Shout Out!
Christine Movie Soundtrack
Youtube Filmscore Mix

Share | 

727 Torqueflite Cable Shift Automatic Transmission 1962-!965

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
DevilsRide
CCC Moderator
CCC Moderator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

V8 Poly 318

PostSubject: 727 Torqueflite Cable Shift Automatic Transmission 1962-!965   Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:02 pm

Well I must reach out to everyone here for some help. My question falls in on can one use a cable shift automatic from 1962-1965 and still hook it up to the factory push button pod in a 57/58?? Ive heard yes and I also have heard no. Can anyone clear this up for me? Im sure this is not a direct bolt in type deal but what would it take to do such a thing? Also what years did they start to use a park lock type transmission verses the type with the drum on the tail end?
 Another question is what year did they begin to use a slip yoke in the tail of the transmission?

Not to confuse anyone but this transmission would be bolted to a newer poly 318 of the same year 1962-1965.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciative!  This will make a good reference for others as well in the future So by all means post if you have anything to add or have knowledge on this.

Thanks again..Cheerio!

Brian.

Back to top Go down
JAG
Administrator
Administrator

1st LIEUTENANT OF THE KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

ELITE GOLDEN COMMANDO CONTRIBUTOR
506/ 505hp Viper V10

PostSubject: Re: 727 Torqueflite Cable Shift Automatic Transmission 1962-!965   Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:12 am

Fury Jims 57 wagon is running a 67 440 with 300E intake and 65 cable 727. factory push button setup. not sure if it has the park brake drum or not though

the teal and white wagon

CCC Chaplain

OFFICIAL CHAPLAIN OF THE KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

PostSubject: Re: 727 Torqueflite Cable Shift Automatic Transmission 1962-!965   Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:26 am

Here's what I know Brian...because my 58 has been modified in this way. It has a 64 318 with the 62-65 (probably a 64) 727 torqueflight. The cable has been hooked up and the original 58 push buttons work but...the cable is not long enough. John Fowley told me that the cable was shortened in late 59. I need to do something about this to get the cable routed properly. It's currently routed through the steering column hole and this is causing other problems which I won't get into right now. Simply, it's just not done right and it has to be changed. I've been told Imperial Services makes cables for our applications but...they have not been filling orders lately. Not sure why. My transmission has no parking brake on the tailshaft so I'm assuming it has this slip yoke like you are talking about. There is no ball-trunion type driveshaft under my car. It does have a cable operated park function which I have neatly hooked up to a t-handle on the lower left hand side of the dash. I was told that 1962 was the first year for the emergency brake on the rear wheels. My car still has the original rear end in it therefore I am running it with no emergencty brake. Not good! Also...I've been told I cannot bolt a 58 transmission to my 64 318...as the mounting holes are slightly different. I would like to know more too so I hope others will add to the knowledge here.

Bob

And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has life, he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.
1 John 5:11-12 cheers
Back to top Go down
57belv
Administrator
Administrator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

230 CI 6 Cylinder

PostSubject: Re: 727 Torqueflite Cable Shift Automatic Transmission 1962-!965   Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:42 am

furvedere wrote:
Here's what I know Brian...because my 58 has been modified in this way. It has a 64 318 with the 62-65 (probably a 64) 727 torqueflight. The cable has been hooked up and the original 58 push buttons work but...the cable is not long enough. John Fowley told me that the cable was shortened in late 59. I need to do something about this to get the cable routed properly. It's currently routed through the steering column hole and this is causing other problems which I won't get into right now. Simply, it's just not done right and it has to be changed. I've been told Imperial Services makes cables for our applications but...they have not been filling orders lately. Not sure why. My transmission has no parking brake on the tailshaft so I'm assuming it has this slip yoke like you are talking about. There is no ball-trunion type driveshaft under my car. It does have a cable operated park function which I have neatly hooked up to a t-handle on the lower left hand side of the dash. I was told that 1962 was the first year for the emergency brake on the rear wheels. My car still has the original rear end in it therefore I am running it with no emergencty brake. Not good! Also...I've been told I cannot bolt a 58 transmission to my 64 318...as the mounting holes are slightly different. I would like to know more too so I hope others will add to the knowledge here.

Bob
Bob, your 64 318 can be modified to work with a 58 transmission, I had a 64 or 65 318 in mine with the original 58 trans. I did have to drill and tap the block for the lower bellhousing bolts to work and I think the dowel pins had to be removed. The guy who put the motor in (and did a terrible job) had stuck a bunch of washers between the crank flange and the torque converter, now it's been a long time but I seem to remember removing the washers and moving the torque converter against the flange and it worked fine but I can't say for certain that spacers wouldn't be required. I also had trouble with one of the stock 58 exhaust manifolds hitting a raised pad on the motor but you shouldn't have to deal with that.

CCC Moderator
CCC Moderator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

V8 Poly 318

PostSubject: Re: 727 Torqueflite Cable Shift Automatic Transmission 1962-!965   Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:35 pm

JAG wrote:
Fury Jims  57 wagon is running a 67 440 with 300E intake and 65 cable 727. factory push button setup. not sure if it has the park brake drum or not though

the teal and white wagon

Thanks Joe for the info and cool picture! Ive heard Fury Jim had done this before and knows what works and what doesn't. Also another person ive heard has been Chaney. Is it hard to get a hold of either of these two?

Thanks again!

Brian.
Back to top Go down
DevilsRide
CCC Moderator
CCC Moderator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

V8 Poly 318

PostSubject: Re: 727 Torqueflite Cable Shift Automatic Transmission 1962-!965   Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:54 pm

furvedere wrote:

Bob

Very good write up Bob! I thought your 58 had this type of thing done. I may have to pick your brain a bit more to understand what you all have there. But it sounds a lot like what im trying to accomplish. Are you thinking off changing your transmission out for the older cast iron type? I think they call that type the 488 torqueflite. Ive been on imperial services web site and it does look like they can make up the correct cable for you. I plan on calling them this week to understand more of what they do. Its even possible they make a kit for the conversion im thinking on doing. But before I do anything I just want to understand things better so I don't have any big surprises or dead ends and end up having motors and transmissions laying all over and not being able to use any of them.
Thanks again Bob for your input! This will make a good reference for others that want to know more about this type of change over.

Brian.
Back to top Go down
DevilsRide
CCC Moderator
CCC Moderator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

V8 Poly 318

PostSubject: Re: 727 Torqueflite Cable Shift Automatic Transmission 1962-!965   Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:12 pm

57belv wrote:
furvedere wrote:

Bob
Bob, your 64 318 can be modified to work with a 58 transmission, I had a 64 or 65 318 in mine with the original 58 trans. I did have to drill and tap the block for the lower bellhousing bolts to work and I think the dowel pins had to be removed. The guy who put the motor in (and did a terrible job) had stuck a bunch of washers between the crank flange and the torque converter, now it's been a long time but I seem to remember removing the washers and moving the torque converter against the flange and it worked fine but I can't say for certain that spacers wouldn't be required. I also had trouble with one of the stock 58 exhaust manifolds hitting a raised pad on the motor but you shouldn't have to deal with that.

Chris im glad you chimed in here. I found what you did there very interesting. And to be honest brings me to more questions on how it is that the flange didn't give you any trouble. Is it possible that using the older cast iron transmission can be used? You maybe the only one that has actually tried and did succeed. I would have initially thought that those spacers or washers you found between the crank and converter was so that the converter was all the way in the transmission so it properly engaged. But I do suppose there is some leeway. Very interesting indeed!

Is this the car you sold to the guy you have mentioned before. The one that the guy is still driving around today?

Thanks again Chris!

Brian.
Back to top Go down
Bloodhound1958
Founder/Webmaster/Administrator
Founder/Webmaster/Administrator

1ST. GENERAL OF THE KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

350 GC BB

PostSubject: Re: 727 Torqueflite Cable Shift Automatic Transmission 1962-!965   Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:18 pm

Brian, have you started a build thread in the restoration section yet? I want to make sure to follow your build!

As for the 727 I wish I could help but I'm a purist when it comes to these cars. WOW isn't that ridiculous... a "purist" on a customized car! LOL!

I'm ok with resto-modding what I feel fits the need but a whacko nutjob when it comes to the drivetrain. Yeah I'm certifed! LOL!

Why not put a torqueflite in?

Wayne

http://www.christinecarclubforum.com
DevilsRide
CCC Moderator
CCC Moderator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

V8 Poly 318

PostSubject: Re: 727 Torqueflite Cable Shift Automatic Transmission 1962-!965   Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:16 pm

Bloodhound1958 wrote:
Brian, have you started a build thread in the restoration section yet? I want to make sure to follow your build!

As for the 727 I wish I could help but I'm a purist when it comes to these cars. WOW isn't that ridiculous... a "purist" on a customized car! LOL!

I'm ok with resto-modding what I feel fits the need but a whacko nutjob when it comes to the drivetrain. Yeah I'm certifed! LOL!

Why not put a torqueflite in?

Wayne

Ha ha well Wayne we don't want no whacko nutjob! job done! LOL. But I haven't started a restoration thread yet Wayne. But no worries I will be doing that very soon here. As far as the transmission is concerned I will be using a torqueflite. And also will be using a 318 poly! Smile I just wanted to know if using a newer 64 318 poly with a torqueflite of the same year would work with the push button system in a factory 57 or 58. I honestly cant wait to get things rolling with my car! Let the fun begin!

P.S. I am certified by the way.. I did stay in a holiday inn once! Wink LOL

Cheerio Wayne!

Brian.
Back to top Go down
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: 727 Torqueflite Cable Shift Automatic Transmission 1962-!965   Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:59 pm

http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=60543&posts=5&start=1

Brian, Please click on this link above and read this FL thread. There's Breaking News regarding shifting 727 transmissions with our old Push buttons.

Also...Be sure to click on link to "Push Button Conversion Cable Set for 1966-Up Torqueflite in a 1956-61 Vehicle" from A&A Transmissions in the last post. All of a sudden our list of donor cars have widened considerably...all the way to 69 (C-body) because now we can use the drive train + rear ends in our 57-58 Plymouths...will have to use e-brake cabling to rear wheels as well.

Bob

And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has life, he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.
Back to top Go down
DevilsRide
CCC Moderator
CCC Moderator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

V8 Poly 318

PostSubject: Re: 727 Torqueflite Cable Shift Automatic Transmission 1962-!965   Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:42 pm

furvedere wrote:
http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=60543&posts=5&start=1

Brian, Please click on this link above and read this FL thread. There's Breaking News regarding shifting 727 transmissions with our old Push buttons.

Also...Be sure to click on link to "Push Button Conversion Cable Set for 1966-Up Torqueflite in a 1956-61 Vehicle" from A&A Transmissions in the last post. All of a sudden our list of donor cars have widened considerably...all the way to 69 (C-body) because now we can use the drive train + rear ends in our 57-58 Plymouths...will have to use e-brake cabling to rear wheels as well.

Bob  

Excellent Bob! You have been doing some good searching. Smile Nice job! This does open the door for many possibilities and to be honest it sounds like this kit is perfecto! And it is priced very very reasonable. Which might be one of the firsts for these type of cars. One can now upgrade many things while still obtaining the proper nostalgic of the cars features "like factory". But yet upgrading to more main stream parts that are better in so many ways. Again nice detective work Bob and thanks for sharing. Im going to contact A&A and just ask a few questions.

Brian.
Back to top Go down
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: 727 Torqueflite Cable Shift Automatic Transmission 1962-!965   Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:52 pm

Thought you'd be interested in this Brain. Please post back here after you call them with any extra info. As much as I like original...I like this idea too. I'm having a difficult time looking for 1962 only....even 59-61 is difficult and expensive. Finding 65-69 C-body 4 doors should make it much easier.

Bob

Back to top Go down
DevilsRide
CCC Moderator
CCC Moderator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

V8 Poly 318

PostSubject: Re: 727 Torqueflite Cable Shift Automatic Transmission 1962-!965   Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:00 pm

furvedere wrote:
Thought you'd be interested in this Brain. Please post back here after you call them with any extra info. As much as I like original...I like this idea too. I'm having a difficult time looking for 1962 only....even 59-61 is difficult and expensive. Finding 65-69 C-body 4 doors should make it much easier.

Bob

Oh yes im very interested in things like this for much of the same reasons you have stated. It is hard to find a 62 model year only with what we want. So this really widens the options one can have now. I will post back here on what this kit is really about. Keep all fingers and toes crossed! Very Happy

Brian.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 727 Torqueflite Cable Shift Automatic Transmission 1962-!965   

Back to top Go down

727 Torqueflite Cable Shift Automatic Transmission 1962-!965

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Christine Car Club :: Christine Car Club Tech Section :: Transmission, Drive Shaft and Rear End:-