The Christine Car Club

Not a member of the CCC? Come on in and register...membership is FREE!

Dedicated To The Restoration And Maintenance Of The 1957-1958 Plymouth

HomeCalendarFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Happy Anniversary CCC!
Latest topics
» Attention Newcomers To The CCC!
Yesterday at 9:22 pm by 57belv

» Running dual exhausts without a crossover.
Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:50 pm by eva_392

» Wurlitzer Jukebox Model 2510 Project. Any ideas?
Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:42 am by Bloodhound1958

» Aluminium Trim - Reanodise or Paint
Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:43 pm by Red Devil

» Frame metal thickness?
Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:20 pm by RacerRick

» Wise Stewards
Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:06 pm by furvedere

» Photobucket Issues Amongst Other Things
Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:18 pm by ChristineFury

» Car Crazy?
Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:21 am by goat19642004

» Removing the radiator support.
Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:38 am by 57belv

» Life Now and Forever
Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:20 pm by Bloodhound1958

John Carpenter Shout Out!
Alexandra Paul Shout Out!
Christine Movie Soundtrack
Youtube Filmscore Mix
Share | 

Events of the Weekend

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
1958PlymouthFuryChristine
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Events of the Weekend   Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:40 pm

I was very busy doing gearhead-type of activities this last weekend.
Most of the excitement was yesterday on Sunday.
To start off the day, my dad and me uncovered and cleaned up my dad's '67 Chevy Chevelle SS to get ready to take her out. Something we don't do too often...
So we take her out, go cruising around, and go to see my dad's friend.
So we get there, and we see that my dad's friend is obviously planning to take his car out too. He has a '67 Chevy Camaro SS. And it is NOT a Buddy Repperton clone.
While we were there, I see the calendar cause my dad's friend forgot to change it to the October month. Why I am mentioning this is cause when I changed the calendar to the October month, the car I saw on it was a '57 Plymouth Fury. I know it was a real Fury cause she had the gold trim, along with the top being painted white and the rest of the body painted red.
I asked nicely is this one car photo from the calendar could be mine since I am the Christine fan around here. He said it could. Very Happy I am going to add the photo to my Christine collection. Very Happy 
So then we all get ready to take the cars to the local car show that was going on that day. We were not going to enter the cars, just go there to see what cars were in the car show.
The car show wasn't that big of a turn out. Only about 10 cars were there.
It actually seemed that my dad's and his friend's car that was parked on the outskirts of the show was actually attracting more attention than the cars that were actually entered in the car show. Laughing It's funny when that sort of thing happens. Laughing
Sorry I don't have any photos... Because my dad forgot his camera at the house... Sad

Then when we came back to the house, I worked on the '59 Impala for the rest of the day. Got the glovebox 90% installed. That's the only thing that cooperated right when working on her.
I got a new brake light switch installed to try to fix the "no brake-lights when you hit the brake pedal" problem.
But, STILL NO BRAKE LIGHTS!!! :Marc : Even after I have a new brake light switch in.
I have A LOT of problems to sort out there.
When just the taillights are on, the passenger side is how it is supposed to look like. On the driver's side, it is brighter than the passenger side, it acts like there is the brake light stuck on.
The lovely world of working on an old car... Laughing
Any suggestions here on how to fix this issue because I am stumped...
Back to top Go down
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

OFFICIAL CHAPLAIN OF THE KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

ELITE GOLDEN COMMANDO CONTRIBUTOR

PostSubject: Re: Events of the Weekend   Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:23 pm

Better check your grounds Jackie...check each bulb socket to make sure the casing and frame ground are continuous...then of course, that the center contact(s) are getting 12 volts.

Bob

And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has life, he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.
1 John 5:11-12 [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: Events of the Weekend   Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:45 pm

I kind of think that is the problem too Bob.
On this '59 Impala, the grounds are at the light-bulb sockets. So to make a good ground, I need to take the light bulb out and clean the socket. Then I will get new light bulbs for it. I sure hope that is where the problem is coming from...

But the bad thing is actually trying to get to the rear taillight bulbs... It's really screwed up on how GM designed it for you to just simply change a light bulb. Sounds simple? Well it's definitely not with this car.
You have to take out some bolts (not easy to get to) from inside the trunk to take the taillight assembly off. Then the thing still won't come off without a fight. Then there are some weird clips that are still holding the taillight assembly on. How to get the taillight assembly off now is you have to pretty much grab hold of it and wrestle it off, all the while trying not to break the thing. 
Same hassle with trying to put the whole thing back on.
I just wish there was an easier way to do it. But there's not. This is the only way...

I had the same grounding issue problem going on with the front parking lights. So I cleaned the grounds, and it seems to have helped. I just hope I have the same type of luck with the rear taillights. Smile
Back to top Go down
DevilsRide
CCC Moderator
CCC Moderator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

V8 Poly 318

PostSubject: Re: Events of the Weekend   Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:56 pm

Well Jackie I also think you have a bad ground like Bob said. Check your light sockets for corrosion. A scotch brite works good for cleaning the inside of the sockets up. Once you do get them to work I always use electrolytic grease and rub some of that inside the socket and the bulb base where the contacts are made. Chasing a bad ground can always be a pain to track down. So be patient. Smile

Brian.
Back to top Go down
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: Events of the Weekend   Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:41 pm

Yep- I agree with you too Brian.
I actually had the same grounding issue with the front parking lights. Cause of the grounding issue on the front? Whole bunch of rusty corrosion type stuff in the light socket. It was so bad- the light bulb didn't want to come out without a fight. The bulb actually broke trying to get it out. Managed to finally get it out with a pair of pliers. Then I cleaned up the grounds. Seems to have helped... 
What I actually use to clean grounds is a small, round wire brush that I can stick in the light bulb sockets to clean grounds up real well.
I don't have any electrolytic grease...
I just clean up the grounds with the wire brush and call it good. Smile
Back to top Go down
DevilsRide
CCC Moderator
CCC Moderator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

V8 Poly 318

PostSubject: Re: Events of the Weekend   Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:55 pm

A little wire brush does the trick as well. Smile The only thing the electrolytic grease helps is it protects the socket from corrosion and it also helps the contacts conduct electricity. Not to mention it does help removing the bulb easier too Wink So are the lights working now?

Brian.
Back to top Go down
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: Events of the Weekend   Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:18 pm

Oh, ok I will look into the electrolytic grease then- it sounds like it's good stuff. Smile 

Sorry if I confused you there Brian- I was actually talking about the front parking lights. I had the same type of grounding issue on the front parking lights, so I cleaned up the grounds, and bought new bulbs.
Now on the front parking lights, she's perfecto now.

Let's just hope that I can make her perfecto now on the rear taillights. Smile
Back to top Go down

Events of the Weekend

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Christine Car Club :: Non Automotive Off Topic Section :: General Discussion/World News & Off Topic Section-