The Christine Car Club

Not a member of the CCC? Come on in and register...membership is FREE!

Dedicated To The Restoration And Maintenance Of The 1957-1958 Plymouth

HomeCalendarFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Happy Anniversary CCC!
Latest topics
»  Electronic Distributor with 301ci
Yesterday at 4:03 pm by Jurrasic car

» Installing rebuilt 318
Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:21 pm by eva_392

» Our Loss Is Their Gain
Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:20 pm by 57belv

» Christianity 101
Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:18 pm by furvedere

» Photobucket House Cleaning
Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:07 pm by Bloodhound1958

» 58 Front Liscense Plate brackets
Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:37 pm by cooltoys1

» Front End Rebuild
Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:54 pm by 58belvedere

» Well, I did it, I got a 58!!!!!
Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:13 pm by Bloodhound1958

» How to Post Pictures
Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:21 am by Bloodhound1958

» He Changes Everything
Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:09 pm by furvedere

John Carpenter Shout Out!
Alexandra Paul Shout Out!
Christine Movie Soundtrack
Youtube Filmscore Mix
Share | 

440 died last Fall

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Carjunky
CCC Member
CCC Member

Big Block 440

PostSubject: Re: 440 died last Fall   Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:17 am

I'm getting a headache! LOL This is the part I don't do well at. Mechanical stuff is hard for me.

The weather is between 35 and 40 but this stopped running last fall when it WAS warm out. Neutral I forgot what my carb is called but Chaney told me to replace it months ago. I plan to take his advice later on.

Any ho

I pulled the gas line off the carb and tried to turn it over..need more hands..I didn't get enough gas to start a lawnmower let alone this monster. The filter where I was seeing the gas is just swishing around not shooting up and out at all. Photobucket

CCC Member
CCC Member

Big Block 440 One Bad azz Machine

PostSubject: Re: 440 died last Fall   Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:19 pm

Crisy I was thinking you had replaced the ol Themoquad carb with a newer edlebrock. The thermoquad are good when they are working right but when the are not they are a pain in the azz.

Now I must of misunderstood y Smile ou on the fuel, I thought you told me you took the line off just before it went into the carb it was squrting lots of gas. if it is not you have a problem in your fuel tank, fuel filter or fuel pump I would say, You are not getting gas to the carb. Smile

"THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER
Back to top Go down
58plym
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: 440 died last Fall   Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:19 pm

Crisy I was thinking you had replaced the ol Themoquad carb with a newer edlebrock. The thermoquad are good when they are working right but when the are not they are a pain in the azz.

Now I must of misunderstood y Smile ou on the fuel, I thought you told me you took the line off just before it went into the carb it was squrting lots of gas. if it is not you have a problem in your fuel tank, fuel filter or fuel pump I would say, You are not getting gas to the carb. Smile

Back to top Go down
Carjunky
CCC Member
CCC Member

Big Block 440

PostSubject: Re: 440 died last Fall   Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:48 pm

Bob I have a hard time understanding mechanics and am not explaining very well. Sorry. Maybe this will help. The last thing I did was remove this hose and touched the wires to the battery to turn the motor over. Maybe this picture will help. No gas coming out of the rubber hose. The gas gets pushed into the carb? Right? The carb don't pull it in?

Photobucket

CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: 440 died last Fall   Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:02 pm

That is right Crisy, so your carb is not getting fuel to it. The carb is probly ok, the way it sounded when you first started it up. Now the car has probly sit several years since it had gas in it. It could have pulled somthing up from the gas tank into the line and plugged it up. It is either in your fuel tank, or the line somewhere in between the tank and the end of the likne that you have onplugged from the carb. Another posabilityh is the fuel pump. When you are cranking the engine they shoud be a pretty good stream of gas come out.

Like Jim John and everybody has said, watch out for getting fuel on the engine and especially youjrself when working on your baby, because it may back fire and start a flame . I really dohn't want you to get hurt or burt.
I know when I was about 11 yhears old I threw a firecracker in and old home made wood saw that was made oujt of a Model A Ford and almost kilt myself.

But we have narrowed it down to your problem. Not a hard fix, but It would be better if you would wait till warm weather, but I know you are the same as I I can't sleep good while my car is not working. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
RacerRick
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: 440 died last Fall   Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:30 pm

I misunderstood also - I thought you had fuel coming out the line at the carb. Bob nailed it.

Did you ever replace the fuel pump? If it sat with tarnished fuel in it for a long time, it might have given up. They have a bad way of doing that.
Back to top Go down
Carjunky
CCC Member
CCC Member

Big Block 440

PostSubject: Re: 440 died last Fall   Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:43 am

I never changed the pump. Just cleaned it up on the out side and put it back on. In the future I will take pictures of each thing I try. Should have done it this time. Sorry and thanks for all your patients with me. I'll get a new one headed my way today. This one is over 30 years old. Don't want to play with it just happy the engine it's self is still OK.
Wow! I didn't have to hire any one to come out here and look at it. Saved some bucks. You guys rock!

Photobucket

CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: 440 died last Fall   Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:24 pm

You are welcome Crisy, Try the fuel pump first and then if that dont work you will have to trace your line from the tank forward. If that doesn;t work you have a fuel tank problem. Finding a fuel problem ios a lot easier sometimes rhen finding an electrical problem. Well at least you found out theyh were life left n the engine. I would have like to been there when you put a little fire to it again. I bet you said Wahoooooooooo Hee! Hee!

Back to top Go down
Carjunky
CCC Member
CCC Member

Big Block 440

PostSubject: Re: 440 died last Fall   Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:44 pm

Bob it was more like YEEEEEEee HAAaaaaa. SHE IS ALIVE! Hee! Hee!

I called and ordered the part. Should be here by Wens. I all ready pulled the line from the tank to the front. That was how I got gas all over me and the floor. Flowed freely. Smile Now I can move on to something else.

CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: 440 died last Fall   Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:17 pm

Sounds like we have it pin pointed to the fuel pump Smile I hate getting gas or trany fluid on me, but every time I cnange tranny fluid seems like I get it all over me. Once I was changing it in the 55 Dodge and the pan was stuck on after all the bolts were loose and taken out. Well I got out from under the car and got me a little pry bar and just got back under the car and the pan came loose and fell on my stomack and dumped it all on me. I said oh darn. lol! Hee! Hee!

Back to top Go down
Carjunky
CCC Member
CCC Member

Big Block 440

PostSubject: Re: 440 died last Fall   Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:39 am

58plym wrote:
Sounds like we have it pin pointed to the fuel pump Smile I hate getting gas or trany fluid on me, but every time I cnange tranny fluid seems like I get it all over me. Once I was changing it in the 55 Dodge and the pan was stuck on after all the bolts were loose and taken out. Well I got out from under the car and got me a little pry bar and just got back under the car and the pan came loose and fell on my stomack and dumped it all on me. I said oh darn. lol! Hee! Hee!

I'm sure you said (oh darn) Hee! Hee!

CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: 440 died last Fall   Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:44 am

Hee! Hee! Well something of that nature lol! I must be getting bettter I changed tranny fluid in my Buick last week and didn't even spill any lol!

Back to top Go down
Carjunky
CCC Member
CCC Member

Big Block 440

PostSubject: Re: 440 died last Fall   Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:55 am

Photobucket Well this is embarrassing. I read on the old forum yesterday and both Dean and Bob advised me not to use the old fuel pump.

I don't have the new one on yet but it is here.

Photobucket

Old one
Photobucket

I have faith that this is the problem and well have it going again soon. Very Happy

Founder/Webmaster/Administrator
Founder/Webmaster/Administrator

1ST. GENERAL OF THE KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

350 GC BB

PostSubject: Re: 440 died last Fall   Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:40 am

Chrissy,

Since you've gone this far I would recommend disconnecting the fuel filter and if you have an air compressor remove the gas cap and shoot a LITTLE air from the front back to the tank a few times to rule out any blockage. MAKE SURE there is plenty of gas in the tank as well.

If the battery is fully charged and she turns over quickly with the new pump you should be fine. A dry fuel line can be caused by a number of things but it looks like your well on your way to troubleshooting the issue and resolving it! Smile

http://www.christinecarclubforum.com
58plym
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: 440 died last Fall   Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:44 am

Good Ideal Crisy while you have the pump off blow from where the gas goes into the fuel pump back to the tank like Wayne said. Smile

Back to top Go down
Carjunky
CCC Member
CCC Member

Big Block 440

PostSubject: Re: 440 died last Fall   Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:45 am

Bloodhound1958 wrote:
Chrissy,

Since you've gone this far I would recommend disconnecting the fuel filter and if you have an air compressor remove the gas cap and shoot a LITTLE air from the front back to the tank a few times to rule out any blockage. MAKE SURE there is plenty of gas in the tank as well.

If the battery is fully charged and she turns over quickly with the new pump you should be fine. A dry fuel line can be caused by a number of things but it looks like your well on your way to troubleshooting the issue and resolving it! Smile

Thanks Wayne. Sounds like more good advice. Yes I have a large upright compressor. Only a single stage but it does what I need it to. I will hold off putting this on tell I have better weather to work in. I never dreamed it would break down so soon but I guess it is better now than later. Neutral

CCC Member
CCC Member

"Badass" Poly 318!

PostSubject: Re: 440 died last Fall   Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:43 am

If you don't have a dryer on your air line make sure you get all the water out of your tank and line before you blow air back into the tank. We bleed the water from our system every day but sometimes at home folks forget about that and I would hate to see you put a bunch of water in your fuel tank. Just a precaution.

CCC Member

Big Block 440

PostSubject: Re: 440 died last Fall   Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:46 am

Arnie1964 wrote:
If you don't have a dryer on your air line make sure you get all the water out of your tank and line before you blow air back into the tank. We bleed the water from our system every day but sometimes at home folks forget about that and I would hate to see you put a bunch of water in your fuel tank. Just a precaution.

:affraid: :affraid: Water in my gas tank? That would be counter productive. Jim when I put the new compressor in I didn't put the old worn out filter back on. I have to drain it each use and blow out the hose. But thanks for thinking of that and reminding me what could happen if I get careless. Won't forget now. Smile

CCC Member
CCC Member

Big Block 440

PostSubject: Re: 440 died last Fall   Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:43 am

I tried to get the gas pump on several times with no luck and didn't understand why because I did it before. scratch My son came to my rescue and also had a problem with it, only he figured out the motor needed to be turned to make room for the piece that goes into hole. I have the alternator and brackets back off so we could see better. He hooked it up and touched the wires to the battery and it turned over a couple times, started and ran smoothly.Photobucket

Photobucket

Now I think I need a new gas cap. I had gas leaking bad from the hoses even when they were held up high with a plug in the end. I went and opened the cap and it went whoooossssss. It was built up presser. Shocked Made me jump. Need to find a vented one? Rolling Eyes And my summer begins. Smile

CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: 440 died last Fall   Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:12 pm

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Crisy Way to go , I bet you were glad to hear your Christine purr again , or I rather mean Grollllllllllllll . I finally got to feelng a little better and now getting some things done. Smile

Back to top Go down
ChristineFury
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: 440 died last Fall   Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:14 pm

I'm glad you got your engine started again.

CCC Member

Big Block 440

PostSubject: Re: 440 died last Fall   Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:44 am

58plym wrote:
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Crisy Way to go , I bet you were glad to hear your Christine purr again , or I rather mean Grollllllllllllll . I finally got to feelng a little better and now getting some things done. Smile

Glad your feeling better Bob. Smile

I am tickled pink to hear it running again. The new pump works great!! It didn't even need to be primed. The problem would have been solved a lot faster if I was better at explaining things. I am hunting a new gas cap now so this pump don't get damaged by the pressure build up. Once the alternator is back on, I will let her run for a time. Very Happy

CCC Member
CCC Member

Big Block 440

PostSubject: Re: 440 died last Fall   Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:45 am

ChristineFury wrote:
I'm glad you got your engine started again.

Thanks! Me too. bounce

440 died last Fall

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Christine Car Club :: Christine Car Club Tech Section :: Engine, Exhaust, Fuel and Ignition:-