The Christine Car Club

Not a member of the CCC? Come on in and register...membership is FREE!

Dedicated To The Restoration And Maintenance Of The 1957-1958 Plymouth

HomeCalendarFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Happy Anniversary CCC!
Latest topics
» hard to find
Yesterday at 9:59 am by Jurrasic car

» BRAKE LAMP SWITCH LOCATION?
Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:30 pm by GOREDFURY

»  Electronic Distributor with 301ci
Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:03 pm by Jurrasic car

» Installing rebuilt 318
Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:21 pm by eva_392

» Our Loss Is Their Gain
Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:20 pm by 57belv

» Christianity 101
Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:18 pm by furvedere

» Photobucket House Cleaning
Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:07 pm by Bloodhound1958

» 58 Front Liscense Plate brackets
Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:37 pm by cooltoys1

» Front End Rebuild
Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:54 pm by 58belvedere

» Well, I did it, I got a 58!!!!!
Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:13 pm by Bloodhound1958

John Carpenter Shout Out!
Alexandra Paul Shout Out!
Christine Movie Soundtrack
Youtube Filmscore Mix
Share | 

Bible Study

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

OFFICIAL CHAPLAIN OF THE KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

ELITE GOLDEN COMMANDO CONTRIBUTOR

PostSubject: Bible Study   Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:16 pm

I made an executive decision to continue on in the Gospel of John because there have been no requests for a topic to study. I thought a topic would be more appropriate (in this forum) because it would answer questions and be more definitive (shorter), but that's fine. No matter how it's studied, God's Word is a precious gift to us...whether we realize it or not.

Jesus Changes Water Into Wine (the first 5 verses of 12)

1 On the third day there was a wedding in Cana of Galilee, and the mother of Jesus was there.
2 Now both Jesus and His disciples were invited to the wedding.
3 And when they ran out of wine, the mother of Jesus said to Him, “They have no wine.”
4 Jesus said to her, “Woman, what does your concern have to do with Me?" My hour has not yet come.”
5 His mother said to the servants, “Whatever He says to you, do it.”

verse 1. The third day probably means the third day since Phillip and Nathaniel were called. They were called in John 1:43. (We covered that in chapter 1) There were no cars in those days  Laughing  so it would have been at least a 2 day walk from Bethany which was near Jericho of Judea to Cana in Galilee. Jesus' mother Mary was at this wedding. Interesting note: In his gospel, John never named himself or the mother of Jesus.

verse 2-3. Jewish wedding feasts back then lasted for 7 days. The feast followed the groom's taking of his bride to his home or his father's house, before the consummation of the marriage. When the supply of wine was used up, Mary turned to Jesus in hope that He could solve the problem. Did Mary expect a miracle? Doubtful, because Mary had not yet seen any miracles by her Son.

verse 4-5. The word woman applied to His mother may seem strange to a modern reader, but it was a polite, kind expression in those days. However, the clause, “Woman, what does your concern have to do with Me? was a common expression in Greek that referred to a difference in realms or expressions. Demons spoke these words when confronted by Christ. (What do you want with us? Mark 1:24, What do you want with me? Mark 5:7) Mary had to learn a painful lesson, namely that Jesus was committed to His Father's will (God's will). "My hour has not yet come". Mary's response to the servants "Whatever He says to you, do it." reveals her submission to her Son. Even though she did not fully understand at this point, she still trusted Him.

John chapter 2, verses 1-5 are the events that took place immediately before the first miracle that Jesus Christ ever performed here on earth. Reader: Ponder them in your heart and try to imagine what it was like to be there. Try to imagine being in the presence of the God-Man Himself. Some day you will be in His presence, the moment after your death. Will He know you then and gladly welcome you into His presence?

Bob

And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has life, he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.
1 John 5:11-12 cheers
Back to top Go down
1958PlymouthFuryChristine
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: Bible Study   Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:17 pm

It's fine not having a specific topic to study Bob. Just reading the Word of God, while not on a specific topic, is perfectly fine with me. Smile 

Interesting how Jesus changed the water into wine... I thought wine was made with grapes, not water... And whatever else it's made with... Alright, how do I know that? I don't even drink the stuff! Laughing
It just shows how powerful, special, and good Jesus was, and still is to this day, up in Heaven with His Father now. And they still do perform miracles... Very Happy 

Aww, no cars in those days... Sad 
They did have donkeys and horses though... And for the ones who did walk, they must have been very fit!
I don't know about others, but if I walk more than a couple miles at a time, I am plain tuckered out! I guess it shows how we rely so much on our cars nowdays...

Wow, Jesus hadn't shown His mother, Mary, what he was capable of how he performed his miracles? I would have thought that he would have shown his mother what he was capable of 1st before he showed anyone else... Interesting...

That does seem a bit strange how one in those days would call their own mother "woman". I guess because I'm a modern reader. Now, it would seem rude to call your mother just by woman or your father just by man.

It would have been very nice to be there; in the presence of Jesus, and to see Him perform His miracles.
But we will see that all happen in Heaven I'm sure. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: Bible Study   Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:32 pm

OK...continuing on now: John 2: 6-10

6 Now there were set there six waterpots of stone, according to the manner of purification of the Jews, containing twenty or thirty gallons apiece.

7 Jesus said to them, “Fill the waterpots with water.” And they filled them up to the brim.

8 And He said to them, “Draw some out now, and take it to the master of the feast.” And they took it.

9 When the master of the feast had tasted the water that was made wine, and did not know where it came from (but the servants who had drawn the water knew), the master of the feast called the bridegroom.

10 And he said to him, “Every man at the beginning sets out the good wine, and when the guests have well drunk, then the inferior. You have kept the good wine until now!”

Study verses 6-8: The water in the 6 water jars (20-30 gal. each) was used for Jewish purification rites before and after meals. Sound familiar? We still wash our hands before and after meals. Well...I was taught to anyways.  Laughing  Jesus is making a contrast between the old order (old testament) and new way (new testament) evident here. Here's supporting scripture for this, (the old way) from Matthew 15: 1-2, Then the scribes and Pharisees who were from Jerusalem came to Jesus, saying, “Why do Your disciples transgress the tradition of the elders? For they do not wash their hands when they eat bread.”

The water jars were probably outside. The master of the banquet in charge of the festivities would not know he was drinking from the purification jars. For a Jew, this would be unthinkable. The servants dipped out the water which had become wine.

Study verses 9-10: As the master of the banquet tasted the wine, he found it to be superior to what they had been drinking. In contrast with a custom in which the best wine was served first and the lesser quality later, he affirmed that this wine, served last, was best. The significance of this miracle is that Christianity is an advance over Judaism. God had kept the best gift--His Son, Jesus--until last.

Jesus' first miracle had great significance as it revealed God's greatest gift to all mankind. I wonder how many people at this wedding caught on to this monumental event?...that God was right there with them in the flesh, in the person of Jesus Christ. Would you have caught on?...would your spiritual eyes have been open enough to see the Creator God in Jesus the Christ?   

Wow! As I'm studying and typing to share with you all, I just learned of this myself. I had no idea of the significance of Jesus' first miracle. Thank you Lord!!

Until next time, keep your spiritual eyes open and be "God blessed."

--Bob

And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has life, he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.
Back to top Go down
Mischa1958
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: Bible Study   Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:57 am

Great! I have heard a simular study like this before, but it is always good to repeat it once in a while. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: Bible Study   Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:33 pm

Mischa1958 wrote:
Great! I have heard a simular study like this before, but it is always good to repeat it once in a while. Thanks!

Glad you feel the need to have spiritual wisdom repeated to you Mischa. You are so right because over time, we easily forget.

Bob

Back to top Go down
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: Bible Study   Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:22 pm

We'll continue on now: John 2:11-12 and this will complete the accounts of Jesus' first miracle.

11 This beginning of signs Jesus did in Cana of Galilee, and manifested His glory; and His disciples believed in Him.

12 After this He went down to Capernaum, He, His mother, His brothers, and His disciples; and they did not stay there many days.

verse 11: The significance of the miracle at Cana was explained by John as a manifestation of Christ's glory. Christ's first miracle is a stark contrast with a well known event in the Old Testament. Exodus 7:14-24 explains Moses' miracle in front of Pharoah when he turned water into blood as a sign of God's judgement on the land of Egypt.

Click and read here: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Exodus+7%3A14-24&version=NKJV

Instead, Jesus brings joy. His first miracle was a gracious indication of the joy He continually provides through the Holy Spirit. This sign points to Jesus as the Word in the flesh, Who is the mighty Creator. Each year, juice (which is mostly water) squeezed from a variety of God's fruits around the globe are turned into wine through the agricultural and fermentation processes. Here He simply did the process immediately. The 120 gallons of fine wine was His gift to the young couple. The first miracle--a transformation--pointed to the kind of transforming ministry Jesus would have. Just like 2 Corinthians 5:17 states: Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new. The initial faith would be tested and devoloped by a progressive revelation of Jesus, the Logos (Greek; definition of Logos means the Word of God, or principle of divine reason and creative order, identified in the Gospel of John with the second person of the Trinity incarnate in Jesus Christ). At this point, they did'nt understand that He came to die for the sins of the world and then be resurrected from the dead (to show those who believe in Him, that they too will be resurrected in the last day) but...they did know of His power.

verse 12: Jesus' move to Capernaum on the northwest shore of the Sea of Galilee for a few days, marks an interlude in His earthly life. Though Capernaum is northeast of Cana, He went down because of the decline in land elevation toward the sea. From this point on, it seemed that Jesus left His hometown of Nazareth and Capernaum became His home base. Matthew 4:13 And leaving Nazareth, He came and dwelt in Capernaum, which is by the sea, in the regions of Zebulun and Naphtali, Mark 1:21 Then they went into Capernaum, and immediately on the Sabbath He entered the synagogue and taught. Mark 2:1 And again He entered Capernaum after some days, and it was heard that He was in the house.

Will today be the day of your transformation? Just as Jesus transformed the water into wine and gave great joy to the wedding guests in Cana, will you invite Jesus into your heart to transform you into a new creation that's alive in Him...that will give you great joy forever into eternity?

Until next time, stay blessed and stay in God's Word.

Bob

Back to top Go down
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: Bible Study   Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:11 pm

Continuing on now in John chapter 2...This portion is called: Jesus Cleanses the Temple

13 Now the Passover of the Jews was at hand, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem.
14 And He found in the temple those who sold oxen and sheep and doves, and the money changers doing business.
15 When He had made a whip of cords, He drove them all out of the temple, with the sheep and the oxen, and poured out the changers’ money and overturned the tables.
16 And He said to those who sold doves, “Take these things away! Do not make My Father’s house a house of merchandise!”
17 Then His disciples remembered that it was written, “Zeal for Your house has eaten Me up.”

2:13-14: As was custom of the Jewish people, Jesus went up to Jerusalem to celebrate Passover. This reminded them of God's grace in delivering them from the bondage in Egypt. It was a fitting time for His ministry. Most likely, there were two cleansings of the temple. This being the first which caught people by surprise. The second cleansing, about three years later was one of the immediate causes of his death. (ordained by God of course as He had a plan...a salvation plan to save us from our sins). The buying and selling of animals (for sacrifice) in the temple court areas was probably rationalized as a convenience for the pilgrims coming into Jerusalem. But abuses developed and pilgrim traffic became a major source of income for the city. With money to be made, worship easily became corrupted. The money changers were another convenience for the pilgrims. Temple dues had to be paid in the acceptable Tyrian coinage and a high percentage was charged for changing coins.

2:15: The Old Testament prophet, Malachi (c. 416 B.C.) predicted that One would come suddenly to the temple to purify the religion of the nation. Malachi 3:1-3: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=malachi+3%3A1-3&version=NKJV In moral indignation, Jesus started a small stampede of the sheep and cattle and overturned tables.

2:16: Jesus protested the turning of His Father's house into a market. He did not protest the sacrificial system itself. The purposes of the sacrifices (to get people to think about their sin(s) and to understand there was a price to pay for it) was in danger of being lost. The sacrifice was supposed to be the best (unblemished) animal in the household... not one that was purchased at the last minute and had no sentimental value. In the second cleansing of the temple toward the end of His ministry, Jesus' attack was sharper. Then he called the temple area "a den of robbers." Jesus frequently referred to God as "My Father." Only through Jesus can the Father be known. "...No one knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal Him" Matthew 11:27

2:17: Jesus' disciples remembered Psalm 69:9, which speaks of the fact that the Righteous One would pay a price for His commitment to God's temple. Because zeal for Your house has eaten me up, And the reproaches of those who reproach You have fallen on me. Psalm 69:9. This zeal for God would ultimately lead Jesus to His death (again all in God's plan to save us from our sins) Sound familiar? As animal sacrifices were a temporary plan to save Israel to cover their sins, Christ was the final plan to save the world to forgive us of our sins. Did you ever hear the term "Lamb of God?" Jesus is: the Lamb of God that takes away the sin of the world. John 1:29

Reader, How about you? Have you invited Jesus into your heart to forgive you of your sins...so you too can know the Father...and inherit eternal life in heaven when you die? It's much easier today than it was in Israel 2000+ years ago when annual journeys to Jerusalem and animal sacrifices had to be made. It can now be done in the quiet of your house and heart.

Until next time...stay blessed folks. Thanks for reading.

Bob

Back to top Go down
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: Bible Study   Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:11 am

Ok...time to wake this "popular" old Bible Study up. John 2:18-22

18 So the Jews answered and said to Him, “What sign do You show to us, since You do these things?”

19 Jesus answered and said to them, “Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.”

20 Then the Jews said, “It has taken forty-six years to build this temple, and will You raise it up in three days?”

21 But He was speaking of the temple of His body.

22 Therefore, when He had risen from the dead, His disciples remembered that He had said this to them; and they believed the Scripture and the word which Jesus had said.

2:18-19 The Jews - either the Jewish authorities or the merchants demanded some proof for Jesus' right to challenge the existing order but instead of giving into their demands He gave a veiled saying. As Jesus did so many times, He responded with an enigmatic saying to puzzle the hearers who opposed Him. His desire was to make them ponder its significance. "Destroy this temple" is in the form of a command but the sense is ironic or conditional. At Jesus' trial right before His crucifixion, He was accused He could destroy the temple and raise it again in three days.

2:20-21 Herod the Great decided to replace the temple of Zerubbabel because it was not of the same glory as that of the original; Solomon's Temple. This work began in ~19 B.C. and was completed in ~27 A.D. which made it ~46 years to build. How then...the Jews asked could Jesus rebuild it in 3 days? Of course, Jesus meant His body which after His death would be resurrected in three days.

2:22 Even Jesus' disciples did not understand His enigmatic saying at first. It took the light of the Resurrection to illuminate it. They didn't even see the need for His death so they didn't think along these lines until after the event.

Reader...Have you seen the need for Jesus' death? Are you able to see the sin of mankind...or even more important, your own? God provided the payment for our sin debt the day Christ died on the cross. He was the perfect sacrifice. Do you see your need to receive God's free gift of salvation through Jesus' death burial and resurrection? I hope (and pray) so...

Until next time...walk close with Jesus...for He truly is our only hope.

Bob

Back to top Go down
Bloodhound1958
Founder/Webmaster/Administrator

1ST. GENERAL OF THE KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

350 GC BB

PostSubject: Re: Bible Study   Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:13 pm

This was a difficult thing for me to grasp at one time. Sin is evident in that we not only commit it but we directly experience the emptiness and consequences that follow. In other words.. we understand it's severity and often ponder whether or not it is even forgivable.

It would take nothing less than the perfect repentance... and like you mentioned Bob. Jesus was that PERFECT sacrifice.

It's a truly humbling thing when one realizes what Jesus did. His persecution, suffering and death. Yet there's an incredible sense of Joy when you accept this gift. It gives us hope.

That reminds me Bob. Are you a Born Again Christian or Baptist? How do you practice confession? Is it anything like what we do in the Catholic Church?

Smile

http://www.christinecarclubforum.com
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: Bible Study   Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:56 pm

Wayne, I'm a born again Christian attending a Baptist church. My confession is simply accomplished by talking with Jesus, anywhere anytime to ask for forgiveness. I also ask Him to help me to not repeat the sin, learn from it and grow closer to Him because of it.

For there is one God and one mediator between God and mankind, the man Christ Jesus, 1 Timothy 2:5

This is why we can go directly to Jesus for confession Wayne...it is not necessary to tell a man so that God will forgive us. Jesus is always listening 24/7.

Bob

Back to top Go down
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: Bible Study   Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:10 am

Today's study is on John 2:23-25. This will complete chapter 2. Chapter 3 is up next. I've come to the decision that, rather than waiting for participation, we'll now move forward once a week on Wednesday...God willing of course.    

23 Now when He was in Jerusalem at the Passover, during the feast, many believed in His name when they saw the signs which He did.
24 But Jesus did not commit Himself to them, because He knew all men,
25 and had no need that anyone should testify of man, for He knew what was in man.

verse 23: While in Jerusalem, Jesus did other signs which John chose not to describe. The effect of these miracles (probably healings) was to elicit faith on the part of many people. They believed in His name and trusted in Him. This was not necessarily saving faith as the next verse implies. They believed He was a great Healer but not necessarily a great Savior from sin.

verse 24-25: Jesus knew that a temporary excitement or a faith based on miracles was not sufficient. Many of the later followers turned back when He did not take up the role of political king. (We'll read about this later in John 6:15, 60, 66.) Until His death and resurrection and the coming of the Holy Spirit, the foundation for faith was not fully laid. (Do you see the advantage we have now?) Having supernatural knowledge...Jesus did not and still does not need human help to evaluate men. As God, He sees right into the depths of our hearts. Here's a few examples from the scriptures. But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not look at his appearance or at his physical stature, because I have refused him. For the Lord does not see as man sees; for man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.” 1 Samuel 16:7 And they prayed and said, “You, O Lord, who know the hearts of all, show which of these two You have chosen. Acts 1:24

These scripture verses should be eye openers or better yet, "heart openers." What is our faith based on? Yes, we need to know who Jesus is, by what we read in the Bible, by the miracles He did etc. etc. But we need to realize why we need Him too. He sees exactly what's in our hearts. Have you ever taken time to think about what He sees in your heart? I'll leave you with The Parable of the Pharisee and the Tax Collector. Also He spoke this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others: “Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, ‘God, I thank You that I am not like other men—extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I possess.’ And the tax collector, standing afar off, would not so much as raise his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me a sinner!’ I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.” Luke 18:9-14

Until next time...may God give you complete understanding of what it takes to truly be a born again child of His.

cheers Bob

Back to top Go down
Bloodhound1958

1ST. GENERAL OF THE KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

350 GC BB

PostSubject: Re: Bible Study   Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:47 pm

Excellent Study Bob although I'm at a bit of a loss on Samuel 16:7. Would you elaborate on this scripture? Was his appearance one that would elicit pity from men and his heart dark (As seen by Christ)?

http://www.christinecarclubforum.com
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: Bible Study   Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:19 pm

Bloodhound1958 wrote:
Excellent Study Bob although I'm at a bit of a loss on Samuel 16:7. Would you elaborate on this scripture? Was his appearance one that would elicit pity from men and his heart dark (As seen by Christ)?

Wayne...1 Samuel 16:7 shows how the Lord looks on the heart of all men. He doesn't look at the outward appearance as we all tend to do. God knows our hearts better than we know them ourselves!

Situation: This was all about the selection of a new King for Israel...to succeed King Saul who had fallen out of God's will. After the seven older sons of Jesse were disqualified one by one, David was singled out by the Lord and anointed by Samuel. I was not looking to use the situation to teach though...just the fact that the Lord looks on our hearts. I hope this clears it up for you.

Bob

Back to top Go down

Bible Study

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Christine Car Club :: Non Automotive Off Topic Section :: CCC Fellowship In Christ :: CCC Bible Study-