The Christine Car Club

Not a member of the CCC? Come on in and register...membership is FREE!

Dedicated To The Restoration And Maintenance Of The 1957-1958 Plymouth

HomeCalendarFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Happy Anniversary CCC!
Latest topics
»  Electronic Distributor with 301ci
Yesterday at 4:03 pm by Jurrasic car

» Installing rebuilt 318
Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:21 pm by eva_392

» Our Loss Is Their Gain
Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:20 pm by 57belv

» Christianity 101
Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:18 pm by furvedere

» Photobucket House Cleaning
Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:07 pm by Bloodhound1958

» 58 Front Liscense Plate brackets
Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:37 pm by cooltoys1

» Front End Rebuild
Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:54 pm by 58belvedere

» Well, I did it, I got a 58!!!!!
Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:13 pm by Bloodhound1958

» How to Post Pictures
Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:21 am by Bloodhound1958

» He Changes Everything
Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:09 pm by furvedere

John Carpenter Shout Out!
Alexandra Paul Shout Out!
Christine Movie Soundtrack
Youtube Filmscore Mix
Share | 

62 Imperial Donor Car?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

OFFICIAL CHAPLAIN OF THE KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

ELITE GOLDEN COMMANDO CONTRIBUTOR

PostSubject: 62 Imperial Donor Car?   Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:22 pm

Went to have a closer look at the Imperial today. I'm pretty sure it's a 62. Any input as to what it exactly is, please reply. Unfortunately, it does not look like it will run easily (like the owner said to me this morning). Obviously, it's missing a few pieces including radiator, fuel pump and alternator. I was not able to find any numbers on the engine. I looked in the traditional spot...right by the distributor but found nothing. Anyone know where I can look? Would like to try to verify if this is a 413 which would be correct for the car. Did not look at the tranny...wasn't prepared to lay on the ground today.

Bob

PS...The other Imperial sitting there appears to be a 1960. I couldn't get the hood open as the cable operated latch inside the car did nothing...so the cable must be broken. So...I couldn't get photos of it's motor.

" />

" />

" />

" />

" />

" />

" />

And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has life, he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.
1 John 5:11-12 cheers
Back to top Go down
1958PlymouthFuryChristine
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: 62 Imperial Donor Car?   Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:28 pm

Yes, I do believe that is a '62 Bob. I looked up photos of a '62 Chrysler Imperial 4 door on Google Images, and the results sure look identical to this car here you were looking at. So yes, I do think that this is a '62. Here is a link to Wikipedia on info about Imperials including the '62, and the '60:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_(automobile)

Too bad about the motor's condition and missing items. Doesn't look like it's in the mood to run without putting some work and money into it. And if you do get it running, who knows what you'll discover. It might need rebuilding. It does look like it's been sitting for a while... It doesn't look like it's wiring is in the world's greatest of shape either. And I see surface rust on the motor.
You said you didn't want to rebuild a motor Bob, correct?
Hopefully you will have better luck with the '60, if not this '62. Smile
Back to top Go down
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: 62 Imperial Donor Car?   Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:25 pm

1958PlymouthFuryChristine wrote:
Yes, I do believe that is a '62 Bob. I looked up photos of a '62 Chrysler Imperial 4 door on Google Images, and the results sure look identical to this car here you were looking at. So yes, I do think that this is a '62. Here is a link to Wikipedia on info about Imperials including the '62, and the '60:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_(automobile)

Too bad about the motor's condition and missing items. Doesn't look like it's in the mood to run without putting some work and money into it. And if you do get it running, who knows what you'll discover. It might need rebuilding. It does look like it's been sitting for a while... It doesn't look like it's wiring is in the world's greatest of shape either. And I see surface rust on the motor.
You said you didn't want to rebuild a motor Bob, correct?
Hopefully you will have better luck with the '60, if not this '62. Smile

Yes Jackie...I've been looking for a car only because I wanted  to get a good running motor and good shifting transmission. Thought I'd try to avoid having to sink tons of money into rebuilding both. I can handle degreasing, replacing gaskets and repainting. Since this guy wants to sell whole cars and neither of them will run (without some work) this is turning into a disadvantage. With buying a whole car that's not running, I'll not only have to pay extra for the car but I still won't know if I'm getting a good motor/tranny...plus I'll also have the job of parting the car out too. Not good.

For what it's worth, today I was able to get the 60 Imperial's hood open. I found the pads (near the thermostat) where these RB blocks are stamped. The 62 Imp. has a S 41 stamp and the 60 Imp. has a P 41 stamp, consistent with what supposed to be there. S means 1962...P means 1960 and 41 means 413 from what I've learned. The other numbers are date codes.

Anybody have any idea what these motor/trannys are worth as non-proven runners? I don't have a lot of hope since he threw a number of $3k out there for each car. I'm sure that wouldn't be worth it for what I'm looking to do. As complete cars...each running and driving, I think $3k would be a very good deal. He thought they'd run though...or they could easily be made to run. Maybe he'll reconsider when he learns what he actually has there.

" /> The 62 Imperial

" /> The 60 Imperial

And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has life, he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.
Back to top Go down
DevilsRide
CCC Moderator
CCC Moderator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

V8 Poly 318

PostSubject: Re: 62 Imperial Donor Car?   Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:56 pm

Bob, from what I understand by those codes you found they are indeed 413s. Does one look better then the other when it comes to appearance? Also did you happen to look and see how many miles are on them?

Brian.
Back to top Go down
Joe Sportone
CCC Moderator
CCC Moderator

PostSubject: Re: 62 Imperial Donor Car?   Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:02 pm

May be worth pulling a valve cover and having a looksy. I don't think they are worth $3k ea. $1K each may even be stretching it. you can almost get a parts car for that... running.

CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: 62 Imperial Donor Car?   Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:29 pm

DevilsRide wrote:
Bob, from what I understand by those codes you found they are indeed 413s. Does one look better then the other when it comes to appearance? Also did you happen to look and see how many miles are on them?

Brian.

I guess the 60 looks better overall Brian. There's more rust on the 62's engine but more grime on the 60's. Here's a couple photos of the 60's engine bay below. Photo of 62 already posted above.

I looked at miles on 62 yesterday...I want to say ~67,000 and brake pedal looked relatively unworn. Unfortunately, I forgot to look at the 60's miles/brake pedal today. I'll be going by there tomorrow again and will look.

Joe Sportone...good idea to pop a valve cover on each...will do that too if I can get anywhere on the price with the owner. I was thinking more in line with you on the prices Joe. Seriously, $3k for a parts car????

" />

" />

Am I right on putting so much value on hearing the engine run and feeling tranny shift? I am down right "afraid" to buy without hearing it...feeling it...especially at these prices. Shocked

Back to top Go down
DevilsRide
CCC Moderator
CCC Moderator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

V8 Poly 318

PostSubject: Re: 62 Imperial Donor Car?   Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:03 pm

I think Joe made a good point on taking a valve cover off for a look. That will give you some in sight on the health of the motor. I think asking 3k per car is to high. If you could drive the car and it was running maybe you would get closer to the 3k for it. But non running and with some parts missing and not knowing at all the condition of the motor and transmission I wouldn't give too much. As these cars sit right now they are parts cars in my book. Im not sure what the going price for imperials are in this condition. But I think I would check them over closer then shoot him a price. If you think they might be something you can use. Smile

Brian.
Back to top Go down
57belv
Administrator
Administrator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

230 CI 6 Cylinder

PostSubject: Re: 62 Imperial Donor Car?   Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:21 pm

I love it when these sellers say it should be easy to get it to run, if it's so easy then why don't they do it and prove that it's a good motor and tranny? If he thinks he's gonna get $3K he sure as heck better make 'em run! I don't think I'd even go as high as $1k as they stand but that's just me.

CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: 62 Imperial Donor Car?   Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:51 pm

Thanks guys. You are really educating me on making a good choice here and...getting me ready to know a good deal when it comes along. I really appreciate your input and I'll keep you informed.

Regards, Bob

Where no counsel is, the people fall: but in the multitude of counsellors there is safety. Proverbs 11:14

Back to top Go down
JAG
Administrator
Administrator

1st LIEUTENANT OF THE KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

506/ 505hp Viper V10

PostSubject: Re: 62 Imperial Donor Car?   Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:19 am

if these were 2 door imperials i would buy one for the asking price and just restore it but i will have to agree with everyone $1,000 is a fair price, 10 years ago i passed up a 1965 imperial in very nice shape with a 413 in it for $500 im still kicking myself in the rear over that one

CCC Moderator

493 C.I.

PostSubject: Re: 62 Imperial Donor Car?   Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:52 pm

Without driving a car or at least hearing it run its a crap shoot. I rolled snake eyes with my 57 Swearing

1970 GTO Judge
2015 Challenger HELLCAT
2004 SRT 10 Viper
Back to top Go down
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: 62 Imperial Donor Car?   Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:24 pm

Below: 60 Imp. mileage, gas, brake pedals

" />

" />

" />

Below: 62 Imp. mileage, gas, brake pedals

" />

" />

" />

At a quick glance, with some faith in brake pedal wear...looks to me the 60 Imp. has 121,000 miles...and the 62 Imp. has 57,000. Who knows whats REALLY happpened to these 2 cars in the last ~55 years though. Still interesting though.

Bob

Back to top Go down
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: 62 Imperial Donor Car?   Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:33 pm

Hmmm, decisions, decisions, decisions... I'd be almost wanting to take the '60 because how the motor looks to be in better running condition than the '62. But that decision is completely up to you Bob. Will the owner let you start up the '60 to let you hear it run/drive?
And I agree with the rest here; I think $3k is too high on the asking price as well. Because how you only want the car for the motor/tranny, and not the whole car. Will the owner let you just take out the motor/tranny?
Back to top Go down
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: 62 Imperial Donor Car?   Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:07 pm

Hmmm, decisions, decisions, decisions... I'd be almost wanting to take the '60 because how the motor looks to be in better running condition than the '62. But that decision is completely up to you Bob. Will the owner let you start up the '60 to let you hear it run/drive?
And I agree with the rest here; I think $3k is too high on the asking price as well. Because how you only want the car for the motor/tranny, and not the whole car. Will the owner let you just take out the motor/tranny?

As of right now...no. He wants to sell the (whole) cars...no parts...even though neither is whole. Even though he said they run...neither is close to running. Looks like a dead end to me. I had fun poking around though and taking photos. I get lost in junkyards...even little ones like this. The time goes by very quickly and I feel like I haven't a care in the world. I get mesmerized thinking about the people that owned them...and the stories I could hear...if they only could talk. Very cool. I wish there were more yards around here.

I'll have to wait for a car that's running to come up for sale. I've also got to make up my mind which way I want to go too...back to original or update the drive train, including the rear end.

Bob

Back to top Go down
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: 62 Imperial Donor Car?   Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:22 pm

furvedere wrote:

As of right now...no. He wants to sell the (whole) cars...no parts...even though neither is whole. Even though he said they run...neither is close to running. Looks like a dead end to me. I had fun poking around though and taking photos. I get lost in junkyards...even little ones like this. The time goes by very quickly and I feel like I haven't a care in the world. I get mesmerized thinking about the people that owned them...and the stories I could hear...if they only could talk. Very cool. I wish there were more yards around here.

I'll have to wait for a car that's running to come up for sale. I've also got to make up my mind which way I want to go too...back to original or update the drive train, including the rear end.

Bob

Oh, that's too bad that the owner only wants to sell the whole car. Funny how the seller of the cars says the cars run but they don't; it sounds like an untrustworthy seller. So it sounds like unfortunately neither of these cars will do. Hopefully a better deal with a parts car that's running that you like will come along. It's bound to, sooner or later. And in the meantime, it will give you time to decide the route you want to go with your car.
Back to top Go down

62 Imperial Donor Car?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Christine Car Club :: Christine Car Club Tech Section :: Engine, Exhaust, Fuel and Ignition:-