The Christine Car Club

Not a member of the CCC? Come on in and register...membership is FREE!

Dedicated To The Restoration And Maintenance Of The 1957-1958 Plymouth

HomeCalendarFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Happy Anniversary CCC!
Latest topics
» hard to find
Yesterday at 9:59 am by Jurrasic car

» BRAKE LAMP SWITCH LOCATION?
Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:30 pm by GOREDFURY

»  Electronic Distributor with 301ci
Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:03 pm by Jurrasic car

» Installing rebuilt 318
Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:21 pm by eva_392

» Our Loss Is Their Gain
Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:20 pm by 57belv

» Christianity 101
Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:18 pm by furvedere

» Photobucket House Cleaning
Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:07 pm by Bloodhound1958

» 58 Front Liscense Plate brackets
Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:37 pm by cooltoys1

» Front End Rebuild
Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:54 pm by 58belvedere

» Well, I did it, I got a 58!!!!!
Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:13 pm by Bloodhound1958

John Carpenter Shout Out!
Alexandra Paul Shout Out!
Christine Movie Soundtrack
Youtube Filmscore Mix
Share | 

My 58' SAVOY

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
GOREDFURY
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: My 58' SAVOY   Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:53 pm

Got the pic situation all figured out tonight. Sorry about the angles, a little tight for space in my garage when considering the length of this beast! She's a work in progress but it's exactly what i was hoping to find, a running driving 58' that didnt need any major work, and didnt break the bank! Had a little fun with it too getting our christmas tree this past December.

" />" />" />

"WELL SHE CAN BE FIXED UP, SHE COULD, BOY SHE COULD BE REALLY TOUGH"
Back to top Go down
1958PlymouthFuryChristine
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: My 58' SAVOY   Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:50 pm

Happy to hear that you've figured out how to post photos! And you have a very nice Savoy there! I like her! Nice that she's a 4 door too! I am one of the people that like the 4 doors as well. She looks very nice in black and it's a color you don't see too often on these cars. Very cool that you used the Savoy to go Christmas tree shopping, that sounds like it was a lot of fun, and I'm sure it was very unexpected when you pull up in one of these cars to pick up the Christmas tree. It's real nice how much trunk space you get with the old cars compared to new cars. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
57belv
Administrator
Administrator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

ELITE GOLDEN COMMANDO CONTRIBUTOR

230 CI 6 Cylinder

PostSubject: Re: My 58' SAVOY   Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:09 pm

Say, nice plymmie! Was this car a recent purchase? I seem to remember seeing a savoy like this for sale not too long ago.

Chris

CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: My 58' SAVOY   Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:15 pm

She is pretty. Smile

Arnie Cunningham - All of this because some drunk ran over that sh*tter Welch?

Arnie Cunningham -  you just saddle up and ride along with all those other  sh*tters.

Arnie Cunningham - 'Ung-ung-gooth-ung,'

Back to top Go down
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

OFFICIAL CHAPLAIN OF THE KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

PostSubject: Re: My 58' SAVOY   Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:17 pm

Very nice Brandon...I've had my Belvedere out every month this winter...didn't go get the Christmas tree with it though. That must have been quite a treat for you all! Do have a Torquefite or Powerflite in your Savoy? Nice ride!

Bob

And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has life, he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.
1 John 5:11-12 cheers
Back to top Go down
GOREDFURY
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: My 58' SAVOY   Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:19 pm

Nah, another car this same color popped up right after i got mine last fall and all i could think is what are the odds! My car wasnt listed for sale anywhere, the guy who owned my car last got ahold of me after i put a bunch ads out there on C-List that i was looking for one, and for the price I really got lucky with this car. She's only a flat 6 with a three on the tree but its an absolute riot to drive, that spring loaded clutch absolutely kills me! I stopped by a local pub before i put her away this winter and a guy walked in with his hands in the air saying "everybody look out, christine's in the parking lot!" It was nice to see someone else envisioning the car for what it really represents, christine, HELL MY CHRISTINE! lol. Thats pretty freakin' cool!

And of course I know she's a four door in the book, lol!!!

Back to top Go down
57belv
Administrator
Administrator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

230 CI 6 Cylinder

PostSubject: Re: My 58' SAVOY   Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:30 pm

Very nice! Yeah, my 57 has the same engine/trans combo but I haven't driven very far yet so I can't make a fair judgement. Sounds like you lucked out when you placed your wanted ad, I tried that before and only got dead ends.

Chris.

CCC Moderator
CCC Moderator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

V8 Poly 318

PostSubject: Re: My 58' SAVOY   Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:41 pm

She is a beauty! Finding a car like this is no easy task by any means. To find one in your price range with out breaking the bank is even harder if not impossible! Congrats on this nice find. Enjoy it and have fun! Very Happy

Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Brian.
Back to top Go down
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: My 58' SAVOY   Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:19 am

Hmmm...nobody has noticed the rear view mirror yet?

Bob

And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has life, he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.
Back to top Go down
Big M
Administrator
Administrator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

Big Block 361

PostSubject: Re: My 58' SAVOY   Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:53 am

Very nice Savoy!!!

CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: My 58' SAVOY   Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:30 pm

Big M wrote:
Very nice Savoy!!!

Brandon, I've quoted Big M..."John" to let you know that this is the gentleman I told you about...He's the one you should contact for your fender and bumper filler panels/parts you had mentioned you needed. PM him...and/or find his phone number on the home page mid-lower left side. Again, car looks great. Congratulations...You did so well! Very Happy

Bob

Back to top Go down
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: My 58' SAVOY   Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:15 pm

furvedere wrote:
Hmmm...nobody has noticed the rear view mirror yet?

Bob

I did notice that, I wasn't going to say anything at 1st because I didn't want to give off the impression that I was being rude or anything like that and "looking" for flaws with the car. But yeah, what's up with that? Definitely not in the stock location on the dash.
Back to top Go down
GOREDFURY
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: My 58' SAVOY   Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:26 pm

Yea that mirror is a strange situation. I had one guy on the F.L. forum tell me it is the correct mirror, but i'm not convinced. I'f the mirror was replaced someone found one to match the trim piece above the windshield perfectly, and it was done long ago cause this mirror has a lot of age to it (minus the glass, a local glass guy i know replaced it for me Wink ). As far as the dash mounting point, there is what appears to be the original base to a dash mirror with a chrome button in it. My thoughts are this, if my mirror isn't original to the car, then someone either broke the original or didn't like it, and this person then either made up with this chrome button/mirror combo or maybe this was a kit offered to delete the dash mirror cause I've heard a few tall people like myself complain that they have to duck a little to see out of it.

Back to top Go down
DevilsRide
CCC Moderator
CCC Moderator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

V8 Poly 318

PostSubject: Re: My 58' SAVOY   Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:50 pm

You know.. If I had a choice I would much rather have the mirror up above where yours is at. While mounted on the dash is unique. It is very prone to vibration and really isn't in the most ideal spot. But of course that is my two cents. Wink

Love the car! Nice job on getting a hold of it.

Brian.
Back to top Go down
JAG
Administrator
Administrator

1st LIEUTENANT OF THE KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

506/ 505hp Viper V10

PostSubject: Re: My 58' SAVOY   Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:19 pm

awesome car, my savoy was also black and white but mine is a 2 door hardtop. i wish mine would have been in as a nice of shape as yours is

CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: My 58' SAVOY   Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:41 am

So i spent some time looking at the mirror situation in my car and I've come up with this. The mirror head that hangs from the ceiling is the original day/night mirror, but not the chrome stem its attached with. The "button" on the dash that covers the mounting point is the original threaded base to the mirror with a chrome piece put into it. I've already got my eye on some mirrors on ebay!
" />
" />

Back to top Go down
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: My 58' SAVOY   Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:27 am

Brandon, You may want to get the mirror in the original location just because that's where it's supposed to be...but, I'm pretty sure you'll find it much more useful right where it is now. I have an older friend that is very familiar with these 57-58 "rear view mirror upgrades." He said many people had the immediate desire to fix this disastrous design and move them where they should have been in the first place...right up on top hanging off the windshield surround molding. This started with the 57's. They were particularly bad because the mirror was located (from the factory) way down in the center off the lower windshield molding. A good percentage of the original 57 Plymouth owners couldn't "take it" and took it into their own hands to move the mirror up to the top where yours is now. Not sure of the details though...Maybe they used mirrors from earlier Mopars...or even Ford or GM's? I suppose it's also possible that an aftermarket car parts dealer picked up on this great need back then. Maybe there was "a J.C. Whitney" or some other company that mass produced these upgrade mirrors...? Hang on to that upper mirror if you remove it. It's highly desirable to "drivers" of these cars. If you do move it, obviously, you'll also need to find the little center cap molding up top. Don't know how hard/easy that will be to find. There's probably a premium on that piece...but I suppose it could be a common piece with the Dodges, DeSotos and Chryslers?

Bob

Back to top Go down
GOREDFURY
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: My 58' SAVOY   Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:08 pm

Yea i dont plan plan on getting rid of that chrome stem cause i dont know enough about it. As far as my upper windshield molding underneath its one black painted piece so there's no cap i'd have to find. I'm gonna get one of these dash mirrors on the cheap cause all i need is the stem. then put it all together on the dash for a while just to see if i can live with it, plus its quirky cool 50's styling that'd i'd like my car to have back! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: My 58' SAVOY   Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:59 pm

GOREDFURY wrote:
Yea i dont plan plan on getting rid of that chrome stem cause i dont know enough about it. As far as my upper windshield molding underneath its one black painted piece so there's no cap i'd have to find. I'm gonna get one of these dash mirrors on the cheap cause all i need is the stem. then put it all together on the dash for a while just to see if i can live with it, plus its quirky cool 50's styling that'd i'd like my car to have back! Very Happy

Makes good sense... Wink

Back to top Go down
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: My 58' SAVOY   Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:25 pm

If it's such a bad design with the dash mirror, I wonder why Vette's had it of the same time era? Or is it possible they had the same issues that Chrysler did? By the way, I think Chrysler copied the idea off of the Vette's, Vette's had the dash mirrors before Chryslers had them. Smile
Back to top Go down
Serge
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: My 58' SAVOY   Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:10 pm

DevilsRide wrote:
While mounted on the dash is unique. It is very prone to vibration and really isn't in the most ideal spot.

Good point, Brian. I confess I've not yet driven a '57 or '58 Plymouth so I didn't think of that.

Sort of related: my Edsel has two mirrors, the windshield-mounted one probably original; the side one authentic. The side one's useless; can't seem to move the mirror inside the mount to get it to work for me. So it's just a pretty piece of chrome.

So it seems if you go authentic on this with a Plymouth you'd better make sure the driver's side mirror works. Or maybe the vibration isn't too bad.

Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/pa3/OldWorldBasic/index.html

My 58' SAVOY

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Christine Car Club :: Members Rides, Restorations & Pictures :: Members Rides :: 1957-58 Plymouth-