The Christine Car Club

Not a member of the CCC? Come on in and register...membership is FREE!

Dedicated To The Restoration And Maintenance Of The 1957-1958 Plymouth

HomeCalendarFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Happy Anniversary CCC!
Latest topics
» This Will Take Place
Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:10 pm by furvedere

» Rear seat Frame
Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:09 pm by GG54321

» Frame metal thickness?
Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:10 pm by eva_392

» chrome! where to go?
Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:53 pm by JAG

» Got Peace?
Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:23 pm by goat19642004

» Daily Dose
Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:26 pm by 57belv

» Attention Newcomers To The CCC!
Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:22 pm by 57belv

» Running dual exhausts without a crossover.
Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:50 pm by eva_392

» Wurlitzer Jukebox Model 2510 Project. Any ideas?
Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:42 am by Bloodhound1958

» Aluminium Trim - Reanodise or Paint
Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:43 pm by Red Devil

John Carpenter Shout Out!
Alexandra Paul Shout Out!
Christine Movie Soundtrack
Youtube Filmscore Mix
Share | 

Removing Shift Cable from Transmission

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

OFFICIAL CHAPLAIN OF THE KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

ELITE GOLDEN COMMANDO CONTRIBUTOR

PostSubject: Removing Shift Cable from Transmission   Fri May 13, 2016 10:01 am

Hi guys...Got a 64 Torqueflite Transmission in my 58 Plymouth. Cable is too short. Need to reroute it...or most likely replace it with a longer one. To replace it I have to know length and what type ends are on it...probably will need to send it off to specialty cable shop too. So...I need to know what to expect when I remove cable from transmission and what it will take to reinstall it. Simple?...Pain in the neck? Anyone have any experience in this area?

Thanks, Bob

And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has life, he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.
1 John 5:11-12 cheers
Back to top Go down
JohnD
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: Removing Shift Cable from Transmission   Fri May 13, 2016 12:51 pm

Bob, check this MTSC film out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOrl73eNmOo

Easy job to do with just removing the neutral safety switch. I have a 1960 Transmission in my '58. Your transmission should have the adjusting wheel on the trans end like mine. Atlas Obsolete custom made mine years ago and although it was big money, it worked great. I think the cable out of an early '60s Imperial or Chrysler would be long enough. Chrysler went to that simpler design in late '59.
Back to top Go down
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: Removing Shift Cable from Transmission   Fri May 13, 2016 8:33 pm

JohnD wrote:
Bob, check this MTSC film out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOrl73eNmOo

Easy job to do with just removing the neutral safety switch. I have a 1960 Transmission in my '58. Your transmission should have the adjusting wheel on the trans end like mine. Atlas Obsolete custom made mine years ago and although it was big money, it worked great. I think the cable out of an early '60s Imperial or Chrysler would be long enough. Chrysler went  to that simpler design in late '59.

Thanks very much JohnD...I really appreciate this information. I messed with it today...had the pushbutton assy. out. I'm going to run with it UNDER the dash to see if my theory is right. I should have reverse when it gets hot if cable is not "stretched."

Bob

And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has life, he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.
Back to top Go down
DevilsRide
CCC Moderator
CCC Moderator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

V8 Poly 318

PostSubject: Re: Removing Shift Cable from Transmission   Sat May 14, 2016 9:51 pm

Good luck with it Bob! Smile Let us know how it goes for you. I also am very curious on this for many reasons as you know.

Brian.
Back to top Go down
Bloodhound1958
Founder/Webmaster/Administrator

1ST. GENERAL OF THE KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

350 GC BB

PostSubject: Re: Removing Shift Cable from Transmission   Sat May 14, 2016 10:40 pm

It sucks when you have to undo someone else's screw ups. I'm looking forward to your "Big News" coming soon as to your plans for Green Christine! I'm very excited for you! Smile

http://www.christinecarclubforum.com
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: Removing Shift Cable from Transmission   Sun May 15, 2016 8:48 pm

Well...I'm reasonably sure that whoever put this 64 motor and tranny in the car used what they had in front of them at the time. The strange thing that keeps me wondering is that reverse worked when I first got the car a year ago. It worked fine when cold and when reaching operating temperature. I quickly realized things weren't right though when I saw how this shift cable was routed..."stretched" through the steering column hole. The rubber bellows that covered the steering column hole could not be bolted in place because of it. It was just sitting there, so fumes poured into the car. When I tried to bolt the bellows in place...obviously upsetting the shift cable a bit...the reverse no longer worked when car reached operating temperature. R button could be pushed in but not all the way to put the car into reverse. Still worked fine when car was cold. It's a long story...one that I think can only be remedied by getting a longer cable and routing it correctly.

I wasn't able to run the car this weekend with the pushbuttons mounted under the dash to test my theory (that the cable isn't long enough). But I might as well get a head start on this process. Anyone know where to go for a longer cable? I might do it sooner rather than later if I can find a vendor that will have a quick turn around time.

As for my exciting news Wayne...don't want to spill the beans until I physically have in my garage...what I'm hoping to get on June 4...God willing.

Sorry  Wink  Bob

Back to top Go down
DevilsRide
CCC Moderator
CCC Moderator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

V8 Poly 318

PostSubject: Re: Removing Shift Cable from Transmission   Sun May 15, 2016 9:59 pm

Bob I think Imperial Services makes shifting cables if my memory serves me right! Check out there web site.. There is another place also but cant remember the name.. If it comes to me I will post. I also need to chat with you Bob. I will have to give you a call in the next day or so. Smile

Brian.
Back to top Go down
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: Removing Shift Cable from Transmission   Mon May 16, 2016 9:32 am

DevilsRide wrote:
Bob I think Imperial Services makes shifting cables if my memory serves me right! Check out there web site.. There is another place also but cant remember the name.. If it comes to me I will post. I also need to chat with you Bob. I will have to give you a call in the next day or so. Smile

Brian.

Hi Brian...Many have posted recently that Imperial Services is no longer very reliable at filling orders. I'm hoping to find someone that is interested in giving good service. I've heard California Push/Pull Inc. is good and quick. I can probably talk to you most any night this week except Wednesday.

Update: Ran car after moving push buttons under the dash...(no stretchy the cable) ran car...no change...still no reverse when car warms up. Loosened/tightened neutral safety switch to 20 foot pounds of torque as per manual....no change...still no reverse when car warms up... scratch Anyone have any other ideas? Got the last idea from a guy over at Forward Look.

Bob

Back to top Go down
DevilsRide
CCC Moderator
CCC Moderator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

V8 Poly 318

PostSubject: Re: Removing Shift Cable from Transmission   Wed May 18, 2016 11:06 pm

furvedere wrote:
DevilsRide wrote:

Brian.

Hi Brian...Many have posted recently that Imperial Services is no longer very reliable at filling orders. I'm hoping to find someone that is interested in giving good service. I've heard California Push/Pull Inc. is good and quick. I can probably talk to you most any night this week except Wednesday.

Update: Ran car after moving push buttons under the dash...(no stretchy the cable) ran car...no change...still no reverse when car warms up. Loosened/tightened neutral safety switch to 20 foot pounds of torque as per manual....no change...still no reverse when car warms up... scratch  Anyone have any other ideas? Got the last idea from a guy over at Forward Look.

Bob
I think Bob we talked about another company that made shift cables about the time you were looking at that imperial I believe. Maybe it was California Push/Pull Inc. I know it was posted on here. Bob when you push the reverse selection button does it feel like its moving freely? I can ask a friend of mine that has been a mopar guy since dirt was discovered! LOL Very Happy It really sounds like your cable is just a tad out of adjustment. I will chat soon with you my friend.

Brian.
Back to top Go down
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: Removing Shift Cable from Transmission   Wed May 18, 2016 11:45 pm

Brian...the R button pushes almost all the way down...just doesn't click in nicely....like the others do all the time or like it does when engine is cold. No engagement into Reverse until engine cools off.

Back to top Go down
Big M
Administrator
Administrator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

Big Block 361

PostSubject: Re: Removing Shift Cable from Transmission   Thu May 19, 2016 11:28 am

Bob-

If you have the cable disconnected from the keyboard, manually move the cable and feel the detents in the manual valve. If you still cannot find reverse when it's hot, It would rule out the cable, possibly leading to the low-reverse band adjustment.

CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: Removing Shift Cable from Transmission   Thu May 19, 2016 10:47 pm

Big M wrote:
Bob-

If you have the cable disconnected from the keyboard, manually move the cable and feel the detents in the manual valve. If you still cannot find reverse when it's hot, It would rule out the cable, possibly leading to the low-reverse band adjustment.

That makes good sense John...I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Thanks!

Bob

Back to top Go down
DevilsRide
CCC Moderator
CCC Moderator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

V8 Poly 318

PostSubject: Re: Removing Shift Cable from Transmission   Sat May 21, 2016 12:11 am

Let us know if you get it working Bob. Smile

Brian.
Back to top Go down
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: Removing Shift Cable from Transmission   Sat May 21, 2016 9:10 am

I got it working...although I have NOT returned the pushbuttons to their rightful resting place yet. I followed the procedure in the manual...I'm paraphrasing here..."With somebody pushing the R button all the way in...push the cable in the trans. mount all the way in square to the mounting surface....turn adjusting dial clockwise to the next bolt hole...then an additional 4 bolt holes." With this adjustment I had R, N, D, 1, 2 when cold...lost R when hot and had neutral. But...I could push R in and it would stay in. I knew I was on to something at this point. I got to thinking about what John said...so I backed the dial off the 4 holes I that originally went (Clockwise). So I adjusted dial 4 holes counterclockwise. I tested it yesterday afternoon ...engine warmed up to operating temp. and everything worked fine. I conclude it a victory...BUT I still have to put pushbuttons back up to where they belong...(with a short cable). It worked when I got the car...just not an optimum setup. Thanks all.

Bob

Update: Installed pushbuttons back in factory location but cable was way to taught. Reverse and Neutral didn't work right off the bat. Cable is way too short. Will have to run this summer with pushbuttons under dash...and look for a longer cable in the meantime. No

Back to top Go down
DevilsRide
CCC Moderator
CCC Moderator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

V8 Poly 318

PostSubject: Re: Removing Shift Cable from Transmission   Mon May 23, 2016 10:41 pm

furvedere wrote:
I got it working...although I have NOT returned the pushbuttons to their rightful resting place yet. I followed the procedure in the manual...I'm paraphrasing here..."With somebody pushing the R button all the way in...push the cable in the trans. mount all the way in square to the mounting surface....turn adjusting dial clockwise to the next bolt hole...then an additional 4 bolt holes." With this adjustment I had R, N, D, 1, 2 when cold...lost R when hot and had neutral. But...I could push R in and it would stay in. I knew I was on to something at this point. I got to thinking about what John said...so I backed the dial off the 4 holes I that originally went (Clockwise). So I adjusted dial 4 holes counterclockwise. I tested it yesterday afternoon ...engine warmed up to operating temp. and everything worked fine. I conclude it a victory...BUT I still have to put pushbuttons back up to where they belong...(with a short cable). It worked when I got the car...just not an optimum setup. Thanks all.

Bob

Update: Installed pushbuttons back in factory location but cable was way to taught. Reverse and Neutral didn't work right off the bat. Cable is way too short. Will have to run this summer with pushbuttons under dash...and look for a longer cable in the meantime. No  

Bob, Is there a factory cable that will fit in your car or will you have to have one custom made for your application?

Brian.
Back to top Go down
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: Removing Shift Cable from Transmission   Tue May 24, 2016 10:19 pm

I wish I knew Brian...Nobody seems to know what actually is out there...that's stock. I've asked over at the FL but did not get much of a response, so I'll probably just have one made after summer cruisin' is over. I'll have to remove it and send it off to get duplicated but longer. Will probably send it to California Push-Pull Inc. I'll have to figure out what length to request.

Bob

Back to top Go down
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: Removing Shift Cable from Transmission   Wed May 25, 2016 6:55 pm

This is the way I'll be running this summer. At least I have reverse when I push the R button in! I won the battle but not the war...yet.

I measured this particular cable that's in my car. Came up with 39" not including the ends that stick out of the sheath. Not sure what other cables out there that are stock. If anyone know please chime in.

Update: Here's what I have heard from one FL-er...42", 44" and 48" are stock lengths for 1962-1964...which are the years that will fit my transmission. Have not been able to verify this though. Saw some cables on e-Bay/asked sellers questions about length/no replies. Also, JohnD said (above) that Imperials from these years may "be longer." That may be my only chance to find a stock cable that will work.

Bob

Back to top Go down
JAG
Administrator
Administrator

1st LIEUTENANT OF THE KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

506/ 505hp Viper V10

PostSubject: Re: Removing Shift Cable from Transmission   Wed May 25, 2016 11:36 pm

go with the longest one you can find it will not affect operation

Administrator

V8 Poly 318

PostSubject: Re: Removing Shift Cable from Transmission   Fri May 27, 2016 5:12 pm

Hi Bob I had a 58 once and used the manual to adjust it was doin same thing I beleive I had to remove the pan?
Anyhow that sure is a pretty car!
Back to top Go down
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: Removing Shift Cable from Transmission   Fri May 27, 2016 8:19 pm

This saga is not over...took GC out tonight (it was very hot here today) and again...it would not go into reverse after reaching operating temp. scratch Crying or Very sad

Mad  Bob

At least I got a good picture out of it...

Back to top Go down
Bloodhound1958

1ST. GENERAL OF THE KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

350 GC BB

PostSubject: Re: Removing Shift Cable from Transmission   Fri May 27, 2016 9:06 pm

Bob,

The issue is undoubtedly thermal expansion at the transmission. You may have an original 58 cable that is either to long or to short for the later model trans.

DO NOT have a cable made for a 58 plymouth that is simply longer. You need a cable specifically designed to mate the 58 push button assy to the later model trans. I'd bet dollars to donuts its either to short or the cable design is incompatible with the internal shift lever of the transmission. Your probably just barely hitting reverse when "cold" IMHO. I assume that when hot.. you hit reverse and have nothing? Is it in neutral or still in drive when this happens?

http://www.christinecarclubforum.com
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: Removing Shift Cable from Transmission   Fri May 27, 2016 9:47 pm

A 64 transmission wouldn't "receive" a 58 cable. Notice the transmission shot above...the shift cable sheath has fine threads with a dial (that has bolt holes). A 58 does not have the threads or dial. The push button ends are the same. Definitely need a 62-64 cable that's longer...how long? I'll have to figure that out. Too long would not be good either.

I found an original 61-65 Dodge truck cable today that's 54" long (had to message him and ask)...but the guy is insane on his price (e-Bay) $225.00.  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/61-65-D100-200-300-Pickup-Truck-Torqueflite-Transmission-Shift-Cable-NOS-1927835-/361528633959?hash=item542cc92a67:g:56gAAOSwWBJXBTEp&vxp=mtr

Not sure if this would work or not. No doubt I'll be very careful what I buy especially at these prices. That's why I'm trying to get it to work now...with push buttons below dash in a spot where the cable is long enough. Want to rule out cable as being the culprit.

Bob

Back to top Go down
eva_392
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: Removing Shift Cable from Transmission   Sat May 28, 2016 7:09 pm

https://www.facebook.com/furyjim.rawa
Try going on facebook and sending Jim a message. He is a world of knowledge on these cars and conversions. Jim is a great guy and will probably answer you. He is a very busy guy. Works full-time and has many projects going on.
Back to top Go down
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: Removing Shift Cable from Transmission   Sat May 28, 2016 8:45 pm

I don't go on facebook Ron. Perhaps someday I'll have to? I don't know...I hope not. I made another shift cable adjustment today but it was just too hot here to take GC out for a test ride. Forgot last night...but now that I have pushbuttons under dash, I'll be able to easily pop cable off and search for Reverse myself...like John said. It should be all the way in...then I just need to make adjustment underneath to match it...when hot.

Nothing ever seems to be simple with my junk...scratch

Bob

Back to top Go down
57belv
Administrator
Administrator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

230 CI 6 Cylinder

PostSubject: Re: Removing Shift Cable from Transmission   Sat May 28, 2016 9:05 pm

furvedere wrote:
I don't go on facebook Ron. Perhaps someday I'll have to? I don't know...I hope not. I made another shift cable adjustment today but it was just too hot here to take GC out for a test ride. Forgot last night...but now that I have pushbuttons under dash, I'll be able to easily pop cable off and search for Reverse myself...like John said. It should be all the way in...then I just need to make adjustment underneath to match it...when hot.

Nothing ever seems to simple with my junk...scratch

Bob  
Oh no Bob, not junk just temperamental classic components!

Removing Shift Cable from Transmission

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Christine Car Club :: Christine Car Club Tech Section :: Transmission, Drive Shaft and Rear End:-