The Christine Car Club

Not a member of the CCC? Come on in and register...membership is FREE!

Dedicated To The Restoration And Maintenance Of The 1957-1958 Plymouth

HomeCalendarFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Happy Anniversary CCC!
Latest topics
» Stock 1958 tires
Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:19 pm by 58belvedere

» 58 rear window gasket and drip rail moldings
Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:18 pm by JAG

» Looking for Trinidad carpet
Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:59 pm by 58belvedere

» 1958 Plymouth - Chrstine!
Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:17 pm by Matthewc

» threaded rod ?
Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:26 am by Jurrasic car

» Victor keychains
Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:53 pm by JAG

» Hell Hath No Fury Like Her: The Making of Christine by Lee Gambin
Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:13 pm by ghostsoldier

» Attention Newcomers To The CCC!
Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:25 am by drofmotors

» The Work of Your Hands
Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:38 pm by furvedere

» Questions about Christine
Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:10 pm by Christinefan824

John Carpenter Shout Out!
Alexandra Paul Shout Out!
Christine Movie Soundtrack
Youtube Filmscore Mix

Share | 

Need Ideas

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

OFFICIAL CHAPLAIN OF THE KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

ELITE GOLDEN COMMANDO CONTRIBUTOR

PostSubject: Need Ideas   Wed May 18, 2016 10:30 pm

64 727 Transmission in my 58 Belvedere. I lose reverse when engine gets hot. Can still push R in, but trans. won't engage into neutral. When engine cools off, works fine again. I thought I had this problem because the cable is too short...because it is, but I mounted pushbuttons under dash so it wouldn't be such a stretch for cable...still have the same problem. I got a tip from a guy over at the FL to adjust my neutral safety switch...perhaps it was screwed in too far...but I loosened/tightened to spec. (20 ft lbs) and I still have the same problem. Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks, Bob

And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has life, he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.
1 John 5:11-12 cheers
Back to top Go down
Bloodhound1958
Founder/Webmaster/Administrator

1ST. GENERAL OF THE KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

350 GC BB

PostSubject: Re: Need Ideas   Thu May 19, 2016 6:11 am

The push button cable adjustment is very tedious. Sounds to me like it's adjusted correctly. My guess is thermal expansion is the issue. Explains why you have reverse when cool and zilch once everything warms up. The cable is probably a hair short. I'd recommend having a custom cable made as previously recommended Bob. Smile

http://www.christinecarclubforum.com
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: Need Ideas   Thu May 19, 2016 9:46 am

Bloodhound1958 wrote:
The push button cable adjustment is very tedious. Sounds to me like it's adjusted correctly. My guess is thermal expansion is the issue. Explains why you have reverse when cool and zilch once everything warms up. The cable is probably a hair short. I'd recommend having a custom cable made as previously recommended Bob. Smile

Pushbuttons are still under dash though Wayne...It's not a stretch at the moment. Trying to change only one thing at a time.

Oh...this getting to be a long story. I hope it makes sense.

I removed the insulation I had stuffed in/around steering column (so my wife and I wouldn't be asphyxiated when riding in car) and also re-installed the bellows (rubber seal around column and over the cable) same time as I lowered pushbuttons under dash. I still have to wonder if the bellows has something to do with it, because it's when I installed bellows correctly is when "no reverse when hot" first appeared. Note: When I got car, bellows was just pushed in around column, not screwed down...allowing fumes to pour in cabin. Reverse worked then...when hot. Once I screwed it down, "no reverse when hot" appeared. Strangest thing though...I have not been able to get back to reverse working all the time...even with no bellows in place. Remember: shift cable is going through steering column hole (right over the top of steering column) because it's the only way it will make it to pushbuttons.  

I've read the pushbutton adjustment procedure...sounds very straight forward to me. Do I have it right? Not sure because I didn't follow it when I messed with it last. I just adjusted it until I got D right, N right etc etc. Perhaps it's time to go through that procedure.

Bottom line: It's a total botch/hack job. Removing cable from transmission right now will take the car off line for who knows how long. Should have done this last fall but I wasn't feeling well/just had surgery on my foot and was laid up. I don't even know how much trans. fluid will pour out of neutral safety switch hole or cable hole. I've read...asked questions. No one seems to cover this, know or care to comment. I don't know...Anyone want to buy a 58 Plymouth with a Reverse that won't work when you really need it? Just kidding  Rolling Eyes  

Bob

And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has life, he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.
Back to top Go down
1958PlymouthFuryChristine
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: Need Ideas   Thu May 19, 2016 4:41 pm

I hope I can help here... I'm not really an expert at auto tranny's here cause I'm mostly around manuals. But I'll try to help the best I can... Smile
My dad has a similar problem with his 67 Chevy. (I don't have any Mopars around to reference to yet, I'm only around Chevys currently). Well first of all its a clutch. When the motor gets warm up to operating temperature, there is a problem when you put it into reverse. It just grinds... I'm thinking what the issue is here with my dad's car is that it is a bad clutch. It is a racing clutch and it already has other issues of when taking off from a stop sign it just chatters, you have to launch it to stop it from clutch chattering.

Back on topic... (Sorry!)

You have to shut off the motor, and put in into reverse while the motor is off, then turn it back on and you got reverse.

So would the shift linkage or cable need to be adjusted? 
Since you already said something about adjusting it right to get D and N, what I would do is go through the rest of it and adjust R now. Yeah, that makes sense to me.
It sounds similar to me about adjusting a clutch to get your shifts right and not where your grinding each time you want to shift. I've adjusted clutches before, and yeah, comparing it to an auto tranny, yeah you'd adjust the shift cable so where you'd get good shifts.
If it doesn't help however, do you have any pro tranny places around your area that you trust to fix this tranny?
(I hope I could help...)
Back to top Go down
furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain

PostSubject: Re: Need Ideas   Thu May 19, 2016 10:57 pm

Yes, a cable adjustment may be the ticket Jackie...I adjusted the cable today per the manual's procedure. Now the Reverse button pushes in and stays in...and I have neutral when engine is hot. This is different....a good thing! I think I'm a few holes off on the adjustment dial...either clockwise or counterclockwise? I'm getting good at driving up on these ramps of mine. Actually, my wife guided me up on to them tonight. That was a first! Laughing

Bob

Update: The following morning I made another adjustment...I have Reverse when Hot now.

Back to top Go down
Bloodhound1958

1ST. GENERAL OF THE KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

350 GC BB

PostSubject: Re: Need Ideas   Sun May 22, 2016 8:21 pm

Glad you got it figured out Bob. That must have been driving you nutz! I would have gotten extremely agitated with that. How did you end up re routing the cable?

http://www.christinecarclubforum.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need Ideas   

Back to top Go down

Need Ideas

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Christine Car Club :: Christine Car Club Tech Section :: Transmission, Drive Shaft and Rear End:-