The Christine Car Club

Not a member of the CCC? Come on in and register...membership is FREE!

Dedicated To The Restoration And Maintenance Of The 1957-1958 Plymouth

HomeCalendarFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Happy Anniversary CCC!
Latest topics
» hard to find
Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:59 am by Jurrasic car

» BRAKE LAMP SWITCH LOCATION?
Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:30 pm by GOREDFURY

»  Electronic Distributor with 301ci
Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:03 pm by Jurrasic car

» Installing rebuilt 318
Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:21 pm by eva_392

» Our Loss Is Their Gain
Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:20 pm by 57belv

» Christianity 101
Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:18 pm by furvedere

» Photobucket House Cleaning
Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:07 pm by Bloodhound1958

» 58 Front Liscense Plate brackets
Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:37 pm by cooltoys1

» Front End Rebuild
Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:54 pm by 58belvedere

» Well, I did it, I got a 58!!!!!
Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:13 pm by Bloodhound1958

John Carpenter Shout Out!
Alexandra Paul Shout Out!
Christine Movie Soundtrack
Youtube Filmscore Mix
Share | 

Chrome paint

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Carjunky
CCC Member
CCC Member

Big Block 440

PostSubject: Chrome paint   Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:05 am

Has any one tried to use this paint yet? I was thinking of painting my gauge surround and inside door trim with it. Never tried it before but it looks good on paper. Smile

Photobucket

CCC Member
CCC Member

Big Block 440 One Bad azz Machine

PostSubject: Re: Chrome paint   Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:41 am

No I haven't Crisy, but looks like it could work. Smile

"THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER
Back to top Go down
ChristineFury
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: Chrome paint   Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:11 pm

Not that, I did try a chrome spray paint from a can that looked good but it doesn't have a mirror like look of chrome though unless it works by using clear over it.

CCC Member

Big Block 440

PostSubject: Re: Chrome paint   Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:00 am

58plym wrote:
No I haven't Crisy, but looks like it could work. Smile

Bob it has four steps to it and could be tricky to work with but it can be sealed with automotive clear and should hold up very well. I like your door trim is why I have to try. Very Happy

CCC Member
CCC Member

Big Block 440

PostSubject: Re: Chrome paint   Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:07 am

ChristineFury wrote:
Not that, I did try a chrome spray paint from a can that looked good but it doesn't have a mirror like look of chrome though unless it works by using clear over it.

I never had any luck with the chrome in the spray cans. When I tried to clear over it, it went dull. It looks good right out of the can but don't like to be touched. I will let you know how this works out. One way or the other. Smile

CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: Chrome paint   Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:42 am

Crisy, It is worth a try, have you already bought it and is it very expensive? Sometimes when you put on clear and not enough it is dull. I had a guy that painted my 55 Dodge He done a great job painting it and he jujst could not get it to gloss with clear. Well I picked it up and one of my friends that painted horse trailers for a living went and sanded it a little bit and then pored some clear on it and it started to shine like a diomond.

I had that car for about 20 years and everybody was shocked when I sold it. My Mom when I told her on the phone she was in tears Bless her heart, she said I love that ol car. Crying or Very sad

Back to top Go down
Big M
Administrator
Administrator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

ELITE GOLDEN COMMANDO CONTRIBUTOR

Big Block 361

PostSubject: Re: Chrome paint   Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:45 pm

Several years ago, I bought a set of the interior garnish moldings that were supposedly rechromed off of e-bay, for nearly $400. I noticed the finish had a minor texture like orange peel, similar to a painted object, but they really looked like chrome, so I figured I'd give them a shot instead of returning them.

They held up good for a year, but then started to discolor and eventually turned purple. I have since replaced them with rechromed ones from my friend that does plating work.

Maybe these type of paints have improved since then, Chrissy, but the materials involved are a bit of an investment, so I would do a bit of research into it.

---John

CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: Chrome paint   Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:41 pm

Now were they the ones on your Fury John. I really lucked out when I kept the ones off from the 58 Fury rust bucket i bought. The car was a rust bucket but they had enough sence to keep all the moldings , hub caps grilles and tail lights and everything like that inside. They were all nice and chrisp and new looking. I sold the Front Wings for a lot smaller ammount then they go for now and had the rear re=chromed and pujt on Red-Sled.

Im not sure what it would cost to have all the inside moldings chromed now. Smile

Back to top Go down
Big M
Administrator
Administrator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

Big Block 361

PostSubject: Re: Chrome paint   Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:29 pm

Yes, they were the ones on my Fury. I had Chrome Guy redo a set I sent him and they came out nice!

I sell him core bumpers several times a year, and he'll do different plating jobs for me.

---John

CCC Member
CCC Member

Big Block 440

PostSubject: Re: Chrome paint   Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:05 am

58plym wrote:
Crisy, It is worth a try, have you already bought it and is it very expensive? Sometimes when you put on clear and not enough it is dull. I had a guy that painted my 55 Dodge He done a great job painting it and he jujst could not get it to gloss with clear. Well I picked it up and one of my friends that painted horse trailers for a living went and sanded it a little bit and then pored some clear on it and it started to shine like a diomond.

I had that car for about 20 years and everybody was shocked when I sold it. My Mom when I told her on the phone she was in tears Bless her heart, she said I love that ol car. Crying or Very sad

I love lots of clear coat over my paint. The more you wet sand and re coat, the deeper and shinier it gets. If it is too humid out the clear will blush. Embarassed They stopped making the one I really liked. I think it was called glamour clear. The chrome in a spray can isn't meant to be cleared over. That is why I wanted to give this a shot. If it don't work I will just paint them red. Sad I like the trim in your car. Very Happy

CCC Member
CCC Member

Big Block 440

PostSubject: Re: Chrome paint   Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:19 am

Big M wrote:
Several years ago, I bought a set of the interior garnish moldings that were supposedly rechromed off of e-bay, for nearly $400. I noticed the finish had a minor texture like orange peel, similar to a painted object, but they really looked like chrome, so I figured I'd give them a shot instead of returning them.

They held up good for a year, but then started to discolor and eventually turned purple. I have since replaced them with rechromed ones from my friend that does plating work.

Maybe these type of paints have improved since then, Chrissy, but the materials involved are a bit of an investment, so I would do a bit of research into it.

---John

John I already bought it. If it would work for all the door trim it would save me some cash in the long run. Every thing gets a high gloss black...light dusting of chrome.......wait a few days and seal it. It said after that you can add automotive clear if you like. Man I would hate for it to all turn purple a year down the road. Sounds like your parts may have tarnished? Guess I will search for feed back on the product. To cold to try it right now. Thanks for the in put. Smile

Administrator
Administrator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

Big Block 361

PostSubject: Re: Chrome paint   Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:29 pm

I'm hoping these products have improved since the time I had bought those pieces. Probably was a different chemical make up that what you have too.

Eastwood is a good company, I have dealt with them for years, mainly for leadworking tools. I did buy a curve file once that the handle broke after a few months use, and they exchanged it, no questions asked!

---John

CCC Member
CCC Member

Big Block 440

PostSubject: Re: Chrome paint   Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:02 am

Big M wrote:
I'm hoping these products have improved since the time I had bought those pieces. Probably was a different chemical make up that what you have too.

Eastwood is a good company, I have dealt with them for years, mainly for leadworking tools. I did buy a curve file once that the handle broke after a few months use, and they exchanged it, no questions asked!

---John

Eastwood has a lot of great stuff. Good to know they stand behind what they sell. If the chrome don't hold up...I don't think it will be that hard to remove them and paint them red. If it holds up we will have a alternative for interior parts any way.

No painting yet. Sad The snow is coming down heavy right now. Looks like Christmas. santa rendeer rendeer rendeer rendeer

CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: Chrome paint   Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:36 am

Thanks for the update on the weather Crisy. Hee! Hee!

Back to top Go down
1958Belvedere4door
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: Chrome paint   Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:51 pm

Try using the Alsa company's Killer Chrome that stuff is the s*** I've heard great things about it if done right its meant for mist coats to get the chrome effect then clear over it
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/chevelle300
25tj25
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: Chrome paint   Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:57 pm

Big M wrote:

---John

Sorry John I clicked the wrong quote Shocked

I actually bought the Also CHrome FX kit, was a full kit with machine and everything. Started a small business to do this also.
was a absolute disaster. Looks great starting off but fails weeks, months later. but unless you have the twin head gun, tanks, DI water setup
you cant do this at home buying the paint, chemicals. I have also seen the 2 PAK stuff. looks nice but compared to real chrome its not very good.

to all who think it might be a good idea, really look into it. I was in the same boat but ended up going traditional electroplating anyway.
but also it depends on the finish you want and how much money you can afford. so my advice, if you are going the paint method
use the 2PAK paints like the photo here not the chemical spray chrome, or save you rmoney and get it done the old fashioned way.

my 2 cents

knighty
Back to top Go down
Carjunky
CCC Member
CCC Member

Big Block 440

PostSubject: Re: Chrome paint   Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:04 am

My kit is setting on the shelf. Just haven't had time to play with it. Maybe next summer.

CCC Member
CCC Member

Beefed up 350 Golden Commando

PostSubject: Re: Chrome paint   Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:56 am

Look up Spectra chrome too. There are some youtube vids of it with jay leno and such. There may be a place who does it nearby you. It costs about $2500 to set it up yourself.

CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: Chrome paint   Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:38 pm

I bought the Alsa Kit, large setup including shipping, travel to US for training for 2 days ( no holidays ) just there and back cost me $ 18,000
I had to modify our booth and setup gear, cost me 1/2 that again. I was serious I took out a loan to do this and was going to make a business out of it. 2 years later all closed up.
Spectra Chrome is the same system, doesnt work either. I have stuff from Gold touch haven't tried, just over it.

I reworked so much stuff that when I gave to customer looked really good and all came back.

the technology of this system is not there yet.

the 2PAK system is last, might not excatly like chrome but similar. if I was to use anything I would use the 2PAK stuff not the CHrome FX or Spectra Chrome
but you need the system to do this not just a spray gun and compressor..
knighty

Back to top Go down
JAG
Administrator
Administrator

1st LIEUTENANT OF THE KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

506/ 505hp Viper V10

PostSubject: Re: Chrome paint   Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:22 pm

25tj25 wrote:
I bought the Alsa Kit, large setup including shipping, travel to US for training for 2 days ( no holidays ) just there and back cost me $ 18,000
I had to modify our booth and setup gear, cost me 1/2 that again. I was serious I took out a loan to do this and was going to make a business out of it. 2 years later all closed up.
Spectra Chrome is the same system, doesnt work either. I have stuff from Gold touch haven't tried, just over it.

I reworked so much stuff that when I gave to customer looked really good and all came back.

the technology of this system is not there yet.

the 2PAK system is last, might not excatly like chrome but similar. if I was to use anything I would use the 2PAK stuff not the CHrome FX or Spectra Chrome
but you need the system to do this not just a spray gun and compressor..
knighty

thank you for your input, very good to hear hands on about things like this
Back to top Go down

Chrome paint

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Christine Car Club :: Christine Car Club Tech Section :: Body, Interior & Exterior Trim & Paint:-