The Christine Car Club

Not a member of the CCC? Come on in and register...membership is FREE!

Dedicated To The Restoration And Maintenance Of The 1957-1958 Plymouth

HomeCalendarFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Happy Anniversary CCC!
Latest topics
» hard to find
Yesterday at 9:59 am by Jurrasic car

» BRAKE LAMP SWITCH LOCATION?
Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:30 pm by GOREDFURY

»  Electronic Distributor with 301ci
Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:03 pm by Jurrasic car

» Installing rebuilt 318
Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:21 pm by eva_392

» Our Loss Is Their Gain
Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:20 pm by 57belv

» Christianity 101
Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:18 pm by furvedere

» Photobucket House Cleaning
Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:07 pm by Bloodhound1958

» 58 Front Liscense Plate brackets
Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:37 pm by cooltoys1

» Front End Rebuild
Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:54 pm by 58belvedere

» Well, I did it, I got a 58!!!!!
Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:13 pm by Bloodhound1958

John Carpenter Shout Out!
Alexandra Paul Shout Out!
Christine Movie Soundtrack
Youtube Filmscore Mix
Share | 

Small sand blaster.....advice needed!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MoparJoe
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Small sand blaster.....advice needed!   Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:57 am

Hi everyone, i am looking at sandblasting my chassis and underbody of my car and want to try doing it myself at home, i have come across this item on (Aussie) ebay >>>http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Skillmeister-10-Gallon-Sand-Blaster-/260977921791?pt=AU_Power_Tools&hash=item3cc37f0eff , and was wondering if it will be ok for what i want to use it for, any advice is appreciated thanks.
Back to top Go down
Arnie1964
CCC Member
CCC Member

"Badass" Poly 318!

PostSubject: Re: Small sand blaster.....advice needed!   Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:59 am

Joe do a search on Harbour freight. It looks like a unit they would sell and I believe you can get a larger unit for less money. I don't think I paid that much for my 110 lb unit. We use a pretty good size compressor so be aware of the fact that all these things use a large volume of air. If you are going to do your own sand blasting I would be more concerned about the volume of air then the size of the sand blasting unit. The shop compressor I hook mine to I have to wait on to catch up and give it a breather now and again and it is a two stage with a 60 Gal tank.

CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: Small sand blaster.....advice needed!   Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:31 am

hi Jim, i dont think Harbour freight are in Australia unfortunately, i think i may have to bite the bullet and take the shell and chassis to someone to get it done.......will hurt my hip pocket though
Back to top Go down
318Fins
Administrator
Administrator

V8 Poly 318

PostSubject: Re: Small sand blaster.....advice needed!   Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:50 pm

Hi Joe ,just as Jim said sandblasters require lots of air power even really small ones, It will probably cheaper or the same price to send the car off to media blast in the short term.If for instance you are going to buy the compressor and want to spend 1k or so Id go with a heavy duty type industrial compresssor like an Ingersol Rand, I know over here compressors they sell at harware stores are around that much for a 60 gallon The psi is about the same but the compressors they sell at places that specialize in air compressors or tools tend to have much more CFM than the ones available at the hardware stores, for around the same price you can probably find a good used one for far less,, CFM is the most important factor when used for power air tools that requre lots of air,like DA's and sandblasters

If I remember correctley look for around 15-20 cfm , the ones at harware stores are around 6cfm they cost about the same .Also the older belt type industrial compressors will last forever.The advantage to sending the car off to media blast is they use giant blasters and have giant reserves of media, they will blast the car very thouroughly as if it were submerged if its a good guy blasting it.Im still trying to figure out how they blasted the insides of my quarters ect.. very hard to reach places will get cleaned with those large blasters.

The local guy here charged me $500 to do the frame undercarriage,interior ,trunk interior firewall ,in other words everthing except the exterior, they charged about the same for exterior.it was rt at $1000 You can do it yourself but generally the smaller the blaster the longer it takes if your using it for the whole car. I have a little 2hp compressor just good enough for painting, I couldnt afford a industrial compresor and the local media blast guy was very reasonable so it was much cheaper for me to send it off he even picked it up and dropped it off Smile
Back to top Go down
58plym
CCC Member
CCC Member

Big Block 440 One Bad azz Machine

PostSubject: Re: Small sand blaster.....advice needed!   Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:05 pm

Joe Good advise from Jim and Carlos, they have been there and done that. I have had sandblasters over the years and it sure does take a good compressor to stay up with them. Maninly a professional type compressor. I know I have blasted and waited for air blasted and waited for air Lots of times. I know it cost a lot now days to have that done. Smile

"THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER
Back to top Go down
MoparJoe
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: Small sand blaster.....advice needed!   Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:44 pm

Hey guys thanks for the input, i do actually have a compressor already, its a 12 cfm so it may or may not be enough, the more im learning about the blasting the more im realising its best to get it done professionally. I have heard it will cost me around $1000 and up, so ill start hunting around soon. Also, theres the issue of transport of the frame, its on the rotisserie but i dont trust it and am worried it may come off while getting blasted! I'll have to try to make it more secure somehow. Thanks gents, will keep you posted.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Small sand blaster.....advice needed!   Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:16 pm

Hi Joe, All the Fella's are correct. I too had my entire car professionally done. Every nut and Bolt. To purchase the equipment, Media, Tarp's, Mask's, etc not to mention the huge mess it will make due to undercoating, it just does not save you any money. Have it done professionally.

Joe C NY
Back to top Go down
MoparJoe
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: Small sand blaster.....advice needed!   Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:18 pm

EvilPlymouth wrote:
Hi Joe, All the Fella's are correct. I too had my entire car professionally done. Every nut and Bolt. To purchase the equipment, Media, Tarp's, Mask's, etc not to mention the huge mess it will make due to undercoating, it just does not save you any money. Have it done professionally.

Joe C NY
thanks i think im convinced now, ill start looking around for a reputal place, i know theres one nearby to me, thanks for the help everyone
Back to top Go down
58plym
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: Small sand blaster.....advice needed!   Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:35 pm

Your welcome Joe, that is why we are a good club to help each other. Makes it a lot easier by talking to people that has been there and done thay. Smile

Back to top Go down
Carjunky
CCC Member
CCC Member

Big Block 440

PostSubject: Re: Small sand blaster.....advice needed!   Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:39 am

Joe I could send you planes to build one like my beauty. Hee! Hee!

Photobucket

I wore my two stage out and bought a single but it is very very slow going. :sleep: It wouldn't keep up with my pressurized blaster so I had to get a siphon feed. Not recommended for what your wanting to do. Your going to have a great car with what you have planed for it. Smile

CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: Small sand blaster.....advice needed!   Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:32 am

Thanks Chrissy, but i dont think id have the patience lol
Back to top Go down
58plym
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: Small sand blaster.....advice needed!   Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:21 am

Hee! Hee! Crissy That was quite of a plan for your sandblaster, It worked that is the main thing but I have to sniker every time I see that. lol!

Back to top Go down
Carjunky
CCC Member
CCC Member

Big Block 440

PostSubject: Re: Small sand blaster.....advice needed!   Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:36 pm

Making you guys Hee! Hee! WAS the plan. Hee! Hee!

Administrator
Administrator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

ELITE GOLDEN COMMANDO CONTRIBUTOR

Big Block 361

PostSubject: Re: Small sand blaster.....advice needed!   Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:12 pm

EvilPlymouth wrote:

Joe C NY
I fully agree also. Blasting is a messy, nasty job, you will be shaking sand from your eyes, ears, and head for days afterwards, regardless of the protection you use.

Last car I blasted entirely was in 1986, and then and there I said I'd spring for someone else to do the job.

---John
Back to top Go down
58plym
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: Small sand blaster.....advice needed!   Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:51 pm

Well John last one I done, I done the whole exterior of my 65 GTO back ihn about 1970, at that time I can't reallyh remember the exact cost , but I beleive the guy said he would do the whole thing for arond 300 dollars, I knew him and he told me if I wanted to do it myself he would just charge me for the materials plus a couple of dollars woth of gas got his compressor. Well I sure wish I had paid trhe 300.00. Hee! Hee! heyh are an act to doing the sandblasting like everything else. Smile

Back to top Go down
JAG
Administrator
Administrator

1st LIEUTENANT OF THE KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

ELITE GOLDEN COMMANDO CONTRIBUTOR
506/ 505hp Viper V10

PostSubject: Re: Small sand blaster.....advice needed!   Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:52 pm

i have no intentions of sandblasting myself i was wondering what everyone's opinions were on the difference between sand blasting and media blasting? for the body like floors and panels

Small sand blaster.....advice needed!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Christine Car Club :: Christine Car Club Tech Section :: Body, Interior & Exterior Trim & Paint:-