The Christine Car Club

Not a member of the CCC? Come on in and register...membership is FREE!

Dedicated To The Restoration And Maintenance Of The 1957-1958 Plymouth

HomeCalendarFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Happy Anniversary CCC!
Latest topics
» Stock 1958 tires
Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:19 pm by 58belvedere

» 58 rear window gasket and drip rail moldings
Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:18 pm by JAG

» Looking for Trinidad carpet
Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:59 pm by 58belvedere

» 1958 Plymouth - Chrstine!
Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:17 pm by Matthewc

» threaded rod ?
Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:26 am by Jurrasic car

» Victor keychains
Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:53 pm by JAG

» Hell Hath No Fury Like Her: The Making of Christine by Lee Gambin
Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:13 pm by ghostsoldier

» Attention Newcomers To The CCC!
Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:25 am by drofmotors

» The Work of Your Hands
Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:38 pm by furvedere

» Questions about Christine
Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:10 pm by Christinefan824

John Carpenter Shout Out!
Alexandra Paul Shout Out!
Christine Movie Soundtrack
Youtube Filmscore Mix

Share | 

E-body rear end ??

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
alumcantandthd
CCC Member
CCC Member

Official Forum Goofball!

PostSubject: Re: E-body rear end ??   Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:26 pm

I saw a rather, very crusty lookin' (rescued from the Titantic?) Dana 60 rear end in a vendor's spot while looking at something else. Glanced over at the tag on it. "E body 3-55 $250."

mmmmmmmmmm two fifty, not to bad for a E-body Dana 60. I wondered if the housing and cover could have been sand blasted w/o going though,,,,,,,,,? I bent down to pick at some of the scale, that's when I seen the 'period' after the last 0, was actually $250o.

2.5K for that pile of rust?! WHEW!
Back to top Go down
58plym
CCC Member
CCC Member

Big Block 440 One Bad azz Machine

PostSubject: Re: E-body rear end ??   Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:28 pm

Sopunds like somebody is taking a rear end back home other then their own behind Hee! Hee!

"THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER
Back to top Go down
Dukeboy
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: E-body rear end ??   Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:09 pm

Original Dana 60's are EXPENSIVE only because IMO, crazies pay it.

I can convert a "Truck" Dana 60 for less than $800.00 with all new bearings, seals, brakes, turned drums, rebuilt Trac Lok, etc.

no way I'd pay that to say I had a Dana 60, But, there are those that will.
Back to top Go down
58plym
CCC Member
CCC Member

Big Block 440 One Bad azz Machine

PostSubject: Re: E-body rear end ??   Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:26 pm

Dukeboy wrote:
Original Dana 60's are EXPENSIVE only because IMO, crazies pay it.

I can convert a "Truck" Dana 60 for less than $800.00 with all new bearings, seals, brakes, turned drums, rebuilt Trac Lok, etc.

no way I'd pay that to say I had a Dana 60, But, there are those that will.
I agree with Chaney I think some people just like to say they have a Dana 60 , I have never run one in a car and I have races High 10's and low 11 second cars, Had a 489 in one but all the rest 742 and I am running a 741 in my 58 right now. No problem yet but not going to brag, It will probably break. I may be putting another rear end together here some day , I have a clutch type posi or limited slip whatever you want to call it. I have broke many u joints drive lines axles but never broke the inside of a 742 rear. Maybe been lucky but defiantly had cars with lots of torque and HP. Look what the 63 Max Wedge came out with, Not no Dana 60. Smile

"THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER
Back to top Go down
alumcantandthd
CCC Member
CCC Member

Official Forum Goofball!

PostSubject: Re: E-body rear end ??   Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:51 am

Guys,,,,,,,,,,,,,,. I'd like to see those Explorer rear end swap pics. Any chances?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Dukeboy
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: E-body rear end ??   Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:12 am

There's ALOT more to swapping in an Explorer 8.8 Rick than meets the eye. First off, the driveshaft "Flange" at the rearend doens't lend itself to a mopar easily. Most will have to have the spring perches moved. While it is a durable rearend, the Mopar rear serves as an easier swap.

Plus, you have to deal with the inevidable "Dang, nice car...Cept for that Ford Rearend!"
Back to top Go down
alumcantandthd
CCC Member
CCC Member

Official Forum Goofball!

PostSubject: Re: E-body rear end ??   Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:50 am

Dukeboy wrote:
There's ALOT more to swapping in an Explorer 8.8 Rick than meets the eye. First off, the driveshaft "Flange" at the rearend doens't lend itself to a mopar easily. Most will have to have the spring perches moved. While it is a durable rearend, the Mopar rear serves as an easier swap.

Plus, you have to deal with the inevidable "Dang, nice car...Cept for that Ford Rearend!"

Those comments don't seem to bother me. Too thick skinned, I guress.

As far as shock mounts spring perches, just about ANY 'hind end' swap, requires pinion angle, and bottom shock mount change. That's one of the first things I do, is cut all the rear end related (donor) hardware off, grind smooth, so nothing is in the way. That 'step' dcon't bother me.

There oughta be a way around the Ford pionion flange mount,,,,,,,,,, haven't done a swap with a pinion flange, so I don't know what problems there would be.

What the 'problem' I 'do' have, is the cost with the E-body 8 3/4 Dana 60! Like you, I don't have $$$ falling outta my azz. (the Carlisle show was just for my daughter. I wasn't $$$ prepaired to buy anything) The Explorer swap, on the surface, seems the least expensive way to go for me. In our local freebie paper ANYthing MoPar muscle realted is way overpriced.

I can pick up a very late model (year or two old) 'complete' Explorer rear for under $200 at the local yard here. Over the counter parts for that rear are VERY easy to obtain. Getting difficult to find brake/bearing/seal components for a '70's anything anymore.

I would like to look into this swap, learn all I can about 'which' years Explorer rears are not compatable, which ones are, what gear ratios are avalible, what rears had disc brakes, etc, etc.

If someone who has already preformed the swap, I would eagerly like to see pictures!
Back to top Go down
alumcantandthd
CCC Member
CCC Member

Official Forum Goofball!

PostSubject: Re: E-body rear end ??   Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:50 pm

[quote="alumcantandthd"]
RacerRick wrote:
Yep. Its not a bolt in - but the width is perfect. I am running 15x8" rims with the common 4.25" backspacing with 275/60R15 tires. There is still tons of room and I could easily go bigger. I got a 3.27 gear with a trak-lok. There is a bunch of pictures in my resto thread. It has the same bolt pattern as stock, is availble with disks or drums, is widely available with a variety of gear ratios, and the explorer rears are 31 spline axles, and extra thick tubes. The explorer 8.8 rears are very strong.

Where are these pictures? I can't find them. Very interisted is seeing this swap, please? Thanks!

Wait a minute! You say "The width is perfect" The Explorer rears are 59 1/2" wheel mounting face to wheel mounting face. (I went and looked at one) The FwdLk rears are 60 7/8"

That's 1 3/8" total, 11/16" per side differnce. A LOT bigger differnce than the B/E-body rear differnce!

Scrap the Explorer swap idea.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: E-body rear end ??   

Back to top Go down

E-body rear end ??

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Christine Car Club :: Christine Car Club Tech Section :: Transmission, Drive Shaft and Rear End:-