The Christine Car Club

Not a member of the CCC? Come on in and register...membership is FREE!

Dedicated To The Restoration And Maintenance Of The 1957-1958 Plymouth

HomeCalendarFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Happy Anniversary CCC!
Latest topics
» Installing rebuilt 318
Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:21 pm by eva_392

» Our Loss Is Their Gain
Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:20 pm by 57belv

» Christianity 101
Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:18 pm by furvedere

» Photobucket House Cleaning
Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:07 pm by Bloodhound1958

» 58 Front Liscense Plate brackets
Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:37 pm by cooltoys1

» Front End Rebuild
Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:54 pm by 58belvedere

» Well, I did it, I got a 58!!!!!
Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:13 pm by Bloodhound1958

» How to Post Pictures
Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:21 am by Bloodhound1958

» He Changes Everything
Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:09 pm by furvedere

» Harry Dean Stanton RIP
Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:10 pm by JAG

John Carpenter Shout Out!
Alexandra Paul Shout Out!
Christine Movie Soundtrack
Youtube Filmscore Mix
Share | 

RMS Titanic Control Room Panel

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
JAG
Administrator
Administrator

1st LIEUTENANT OF THE KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

ELITE GOLDEN COMMANDO CONTRIBUTOR
506/ 505hp Viper V10

PostSubject: Re: RMS Titanic Control Room Panel   Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:32 am

wow thanks for sharing wayne i knew nothing about this, it sent a shiver down my spine

Administrator
Administrator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

230 CI 6 Cylinder

PostSubject: Re: RMS Titanic Control Room Panel   Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:33 am

It was really kind of haunting to hear it in person.

Founder/Webmaster/Administrator

1ST. GENERAL OF THE KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

350 GC BB

PostSubject: Re: RMS Titanic Control Room Panel   Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:12 am

Hey Gents! Been awhile since I posted. Sorry for the absence. The Job and family etc have had me run ragged. Anyway, as you all know I "walk away" from my Christine project to keep from getting burned out. Work will continue this fall and winter and I'll post pictures when the time comes. In the meantime I've decided to resurrect this project from years ago. I'm starting with the water tight doors indicator panel. I'll post a few pics here soon if anybody cares! LOL

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

This is essentially what I'll be creating...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down
http://www.christinecarclubforum.com
57belv
Administrator
Administrator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

230 CI 6 Cylinder

PostSubject: Re: RMS Titanic Control Room Panel   Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:35 am

Neat, look forward to more pics! I'm amazed by the quality of the antique components you find Wayne.

CCC Moderator
CCC Moderator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

V8 Poly 318

PostSubject: Re: RMS Titanic Control Room Panel   Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:20 am

Looks like we have another Titanic junky! Smile I honestly am fascinated with the Titanic and think its one of the most beautiful looking ships ever built. Nowadays ships don't look elegant or stylish. Ships of today look like floating skyscrapers. No style in my eyes. Keep it up Wayne I love things like this!

Brian.
Back to top Go down
JAG
Administrator
Administrator

506/ 505hp Viper V10

PostSubject: Re: RMS Titanic Control Room Panel   Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:45 am

i really enjoy this thread keep it up wayne

350 GC BB

PostSubject: Re: RMS Titanic Control Room Panel   Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:40 pm

Thanks guys.

Chris, you just have to use your imagination to bring something like this together. Just about everything can be had on ebay and researching the names of the components helps. Add "Antique BRASS" to your ebay search and your guaranteed results.

Cool Brian! Didn't know you were a fellow junkie. My idea takes design queues mainly and will be far from exact. I'm after a functional "shock and awe" kind of effect. Still trying to convince the wife to let me do this in the dining room so we'll see what happens! LOL.

Glad you like it Joe. I'll post some pics soon. Wink

Back to top Go down
DevilsRide
CCC Moderator
CCC Moderator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

V8 Poly 318

PostSubject: Re: RMS Titanic Control Room Panel   Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:14 pm

Very cool Wayne! Back in college we did a study on the Titanic's water tight doors and why the ship faltered. Our results were quite shocking. And we had various results. Its been long contested that the ships steel was weak and the rivets weren't ideal. But heres the kicker.. Even if the ships steel was better and the ship was welded over riveting it wouldn't have mattered. The bottom line is the water tight doors weren't sealed. And the shear weight of the water being held by these compartments tore the guts out of her and caused the most damage to the sinking of the ship. Once the weight from the water pulled her down at the bow the sheer weight and stress the ship went under was horrendous. When we were done with our study we were all shocked to find out one thing. That there was a good possibility that the ship could have stayed afloat longer with the doors open. And really may not have sank at all. I know many have heard of these theories but honestly there are several factors that make one think. Two eye witnesses which were coal stokers really shed some light on our theories. And really makes one wonder that what if!!! At the end of the day I look at it like this.. The iceberg did the damage.. But it didn't sink the ship.. Really the ship had one foot in the grave and another on a banana peal before she even hit the iceberg.

Brian.
Back to top Go down
Bloodhound1958

350 GC BB

PostSubject: Re: RMS Titanic Control Room Panel   Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:12 pm

True Brian. I often wondered what would have happened if the doors were left open and the water was allowed to evenly travel to all compartments. Why? The pumps from those other compartments would have contributed to pumping out the ship. Could they have gotten ahead of the incoming water if they were all in use? I wonder... In theory that would have been 10 more pumps in use rather than just 3 or 4.

Back to top Go down
DevilsRide
CCC Moderator
CCC Moderator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

V8 Poly 318

PostSubject: Re: RMS Titanic Control Room Panel   Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:03 pm

That is correct Wayne. The ship had 8 large pumps that were plumed into the ship. And they also had a few portable pumps used for minor clean up. Just to put it in prospective the 8 large pumps all together pumped 1700 tons per hour. Of course as long as they had steam. That's a lot of water. The two surviving stokers clearly stated that they were getting ahead of the water. As they moved forward with the portable pumps cleaning up excess water about 20 minutes after they were over come by water from behind. And why do you ask? Well the stress from all the weight from the water in the forward compartments had started to take its toll. The ship started to fracture. So if the water tight compartments were left open then the water could have dispersed evenly through out the ship and would have never put it under such horrendous stress and the pumps could have done there job.. One has to remember the damage by the iceberg really wasn't like a large gapping hole.. But a mere slice here and there a long side of the ship. The thing is sink or not the ship would have stayed afloat much longer and at the very least it could have saved more lives. And loading lifeboats when a ship is more level is much easier then when its listing. But I do clearly believe the ship would have stayed afloat and there would have never been such a tragic story of the sinking and loss of life. This is a clear example of humans not understanding technology. And even the white star line claimed the ship was built to strong to have broken apart.. Well guess what.. they were wrong. This ship sank from not understanding technology and human error. The sad part is the human error occurred with keeping the water tight doors closed. And that set the fate of the ship... Such a shame..

Brian.
Back to top Go down
JAG
Administrator
Administrator

506/ 505hp Viper V10

PostSubject: Re: RMS Titanic Control Room Panel   Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:40 pm

i love that you guys are sharing all this information, i have never heard any of this background story and i have always researched stories of the titantic

CCC Moderator
CCC Moderator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

V8 Poly 318

PostSubject: Re: RMS Titanic Control Room Panel   Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:57 pm

JAG wrote:
i love that you guys are sharing all this information, i have never heard any of this background story and i have always researched stories of the titantic
It is very interesting Joe. A lot of these statements were concealed by the white star line in fear that they didn't want the word to get out that they made weak ships. But the fact is that they really never had nothing to hide. No ship could with stand those type of stresses. There just pure unfathomable..

Brian.
Back to top Go down

RMS Titanic Control Room Panel

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Christine Car Club :: Non Automotive Off Topic Section :: General Discussion/World News & Off Topic Section-