The Christine Car Club

Not a member of the CCC? Come on in and register...membership is FREE!

Dedicated To The Restoration And Maintenance Of The 1957-1958 Plymouth

HomeCalendarFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Happy Anniversary CCC!
Latest topics
» Removing the radiator support.
Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:38 am by 57belv

» Life Now and Forever
Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:20 pm by Bloodhound1958

» Alive With Christ
Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:14 pm by furvedere

» Looking for christine novel
Mon May 29, 2017 11:52 pm by ArnieCunningham

» Is it safe?
Mon May 29, 2017 7:12 am by Bluebird57

» A Memorial Day Perspective
Sat May 27, 2017 8:37 am by furvedere

» Turning radius
Sun May 21, 2017 8:45 am by eva_392

» Please Consider Helping The CCC Stay Online!
Mon May 15, 2017 2:06 pm by Bloodhound1958

» The Real Face Of Jesus
Sun May 14, 2017 6:57 pm by Serge

» Slow to start
Sun May 14, 2017 6:51 pm by Serge

A+TOP RATED 1957-58 Plymouth Parts Source!
John Carpenter Shout Out!
Alexandra Paul Shout Out!
Christine Movie Soundtrack
Youtube Filmscore Mix
Share | 

rear quarter panel and back seat removel?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
crazy58fury
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: rear quarter panel and back seat removel?   Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:26 am

Hey guys I was wondering how to take the rear quarter panel's or (armrest) and the back seat out scratch , So I can take the windows out.
ty

PostSubject: Re: rear quarter panel and back seat removel?   Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:34 am

The rear inside arm rest Panel's are screwed in at the bottom. The first thing you need to do is to push the front of the bottom seat cushion inward's and then upward's all in one motion. The bottom seat cushion will then be able to be removed. Then unscrew, at the bottom, the back rest(top of seat) and remove that completely. Once the entire rear seat is removed you will see the screw's at the side and bottom of the arm rest panel. You also will have to remove the window crank's first(very tricky). Once you unscrew that, it too should be removed exposing the glass.

The Glass in these car's is extremely difficult to remove so be very careful.

Joe
Back to top Go down
crazy58fury
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: rear quarter panel and back seat removel?   Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:52 pm

Hey thanks joe!That was very helpful! How does the window crank come off? And how do you actually get the rear glass out? Is there some type of trick or anything? Im ganna try to tackle that tommrow.
ty

CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: rear quarter panel and back seat removel?   Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:26 pm

Hey joe, I got the seat out but the 2 screws on each end of the arm rest's aint movin I tried w-d40, pb, all that used everthing they wont move? there pretty badly rusted in place, what should i do?
ty

Administrator
Administrator

1st LIEUTENANT OF THE KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

ELITE GOLDEN COMMANDO CONTRIBUTOR
506/ 505hp Viper V10

PostSubject: Re: rear quarter panel and back seat removel?   Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:01 am

if you get a chance look at the pictures of my car, i had no interior panels or armrest to worry about and i believe it took me right around 3 hours to take out one of my rear windows it is not an easy task, just take your time, you may need to carefully drill out those rusted screws

CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: rear quarter panel and back seat removel?   Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:05 am

JAG wrote:
if you get a chance look at the pictures of my car, i had no interior panels or armrest to worry about and i believe it took me right around 3 hours to take out one of my rear windows it is not an easy task, just take your time, you may need to carefully drill out those rusted screws

Hey jag!
What type of drill bit would I have to use for it because I got some from harbor freight and they dont do anything they just spin and spin, they dont do anything lol? Should I get some from sears or somthing?
ty

Administrator
Administrator

506/ 505hp Viper V10

PostSubject: Re: rear quarter panel and back seat removel?   Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:08 am

yeah ive used the harbor freight one they will just make you mad they are usually only good for one cut, buy some possibly titanium ones from sears they may even warrantee them if they dull or break. make sure you dip the bit in oil before drilling this will help to make sure it doesnt dull as fast from overheating. these cars were built with stainless steal screws and can b a real pain when they wont come out

CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: rear quarter panel and back seat removel?   Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:48 pm

Hey jag, I tried using the craftsmen cobalt drill bits, They said they would work great for the hardmetal but they keep doing the same stuff, just spining? I dont know what Im doin wrong Mad Sorry to keep bugging you guys with this Im just trying everything I can think of and it aint workin..
ty

CCC Member
CCC Member

"Badass" Poly 318!

PostSubject: Re: rear quarter panel and back seat removel?   Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:57 pm

Don't be sorry. It is OK as we can not see what is going on to help you so don't get youself worked up. Therse old cars can give folks fits that do this kind of work all the time.
You say the drill is just spinning. If it is a good bit and it is not making a hole then more then likely the whole screw is turning clockwise and is stripped out. Try to look and see if the whole screw is turning when the drill bit turns.

CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: rear quarter panel and back seat removel?   Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:42 pm

[quote="Arnie1964"]Don't be sorry. It is OK as we can not see what is going on to help you so don't get youself worked up. Therse old cars can give folks fits that do this kind of work all the time.
You say the drill is just spinning. If it is a good bit and it is not making a hole then more then likely the whole screw is turning clockwise and is stripped out. Try to look and see if the whole screw is turning when the drill bit turns.[/quot e]

Hey Arnie! if you want I could try to make a vid of whats happing if that helps? I know the screw dosent move, The drill bit keeps spining and dosent cut anything no matter how hard I push.
ty

Administrator
Administrator

506/ 505hp Viper V10

PostSubject: Re: rear quarter panel and back seat removel?   Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:05 pm

craftsman makes an extractor bit that ive used before very sharp, not sure if you seen any while you were there?

CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: rear quarter panel and back seat removel?   Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:28 pm

I didn't see any where would it have been?
ty

Administrator
Administrator

506/ 505hp Viper V10

PostSubject: Re: rear quarter panel and back seat removel?   Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:31 pm

oh boy, umm i bought mine a couple of years ago it is a very small kit especially made for extracting stripped screw heads, ive always just drilled and taped them myself but if the drill bit isnt working maybe they would.

CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: rear quarter panel and back seat removel?   Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:37 pm

umm, im ganna give it one more go tommrow and see if anything changes, If not I'll probaly have to find that or somthing close if they have one, darn it! this is hard lol
ty

Administrator
Administrator

506/ 505hp Viper V10

PostSubject: Re: rear quarter panel and back seat removel?   Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:41 pm

just step back and relax it is probably something simple and its just not being seen, these cars have a way of distracting us Laughing i will take a picture of them tomorrow if i get a chance. please dont take this the wrong way because im not there to see you drill but is the drill going in the right direction? ive been in a hurry before and was trying to drill with no luck and i looked down and it was in reverse, now thats when you just bang your head off the way
Back to top Go down
crazy58fury
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: rear quarter panel and back seat removel?   Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:47 pm

HEY! lol I did check that several times but it was the right way which sucked cause it would have been so simple to change the direction and then YAY! but no darn.
ty

Administrator
Administrator

506/ 505hp Viper V10

PostSubject: Re: rear quarter panel and back seat removel?   Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:01 pm

dam well i guess my psychic powers arent as good as they used to be lol! i tried. i think im going to try and drill through one of my screws and see whats up

CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: rear quarter panel and back seat removel?   Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:48 am

Hee! Hee!

CCC Member
CCC Member

"Badass" Poly 318!

PostSubject: Re: rear quarter panel and back seat removel?   Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:47 am

If the screw is not turning they should drill out. Are you sure when you first place the bit against the screw head, because of the drill size, the X slots in the screw are not tearing off the sharp front edge of the drill bit? These screws shoud not drill out that hard.

CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: rear quarter panel and back seat removel?   Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:24 pm

Well I have good news and bad... well I finally got the drill bits to work and was able to drill some of the screws that I had to, And wrestled the rear windows for ever, finally I dont know how They came out but they did, Heres the bad news..... I put the windows on the roof for a second and bent down and when I leaned up I hit them and they fell on to the floor and shattered! Mad Now I have to hopefully I can find new ones.
ty

Administrator
Administrator

506/ 505hp Viper V10

PostSubject: Re: rear quarter panel and back seat removel?   Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:16 pm

wow you actually have me in tears and i dont even know you that well, i was so afraid of breaking mine i walked it right over to a box i had filled with rags for fear of the same thing. dont be too worried though you should be able to find some windows fairly easily i believe they are the same 57 and 58.

CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: rear quarter panel and back seat removel?   Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:48 pm

I should have done that but its to late now....
ty

CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: rear quarter panel and back seat removel?   Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:28 am

Dang man and I hope you can get another one at a great deal, even if I am carefull some things break for me.

Administrator

506/ 505hp Viper V10

PostSubject: Re: rear quarter panel and back seat removel?   Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:02 am

i know its a little late but i wanted to prove to you i wasnt lying (craftsman stripped screw removal kit)

CCC Member

"Badass" Poly 318!

PostSubject: Re: rear quarter panel and back seat removel?   Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:09 am

Sorry to hear you broke your glass. As you are learning these things are no easy. It seems like every thing I touch I find something. This has a hole, this needs to be welded, this is cracked. It's all part of restoring a old car. Always look on the bright side. The side glass is no where near the cost of a windshield. Just keep pluging away.

Administrator

V8 Poly 318

PostSubject: Re: rear quarter panel and back seat removel?   Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:00 am

As Jim said these things can be tough to work around, shame that glass broke but Like Jag said better those than the front or rear glass, removing the quarters glass is not easy because all that stuff is usually frozen in place and has a complex mechanism even expereinced dudes have hell with those, the best thing u can do is as your taking it apart put every bolt and nut into the threads where applicable into its corresponting mechanism before putting them away, it will save lots of time and money upon reassembly,save in bags what wont screw back in,I wound up buying an entire parts care because i had too much unlabled stuff, to know exactley where and how everything went in place and for parts of course. Smile
Back to top Go down
58plym
CCC Member
CCC Member

Big Block 440 One Bad azz Machine

PostSubject: Re: rear quarter panel and back seat removel?   Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:09 am

Ty sorry you broke yur glass, I have done many things like that Smile

"THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER
Back to top Go down

rear quarter panel and back seat removel?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Christine Car Club :: Christine Car Club Tech Section :: Body, Interior & Exterior Trim & Paint:-