The Christine Car Club

Not a member of the CCC? Come on in and register...membership is FREE!

Dedicated To The Restoration And Maintenance Of The 1957-1958 Plymouth

HomeCalendarFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Happy Anniversary CCC!
Latest topics
» hard to find
Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:59 am by Jurrasic car

» BRAKE LAMP SWITCH LOCATION?
Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:30 pm by GOREDFURY

»  Electronic Distributor with 301ci
Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:03 pm by Jurrasic car

» Installing rebuilt 318
Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:21 pm by eva_392

» Our Loss Is Their Gain
Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:20 pm by 57belv

» Christianity 101
Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:18 pm by furvedere

» Photobucket House Cleaning
Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:07 pm by Bloodhound1958

» 58 Front Liscense Plate brackets
Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:37 pm by cooltoys1

» Front End Rebuild
Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:54 pm by 58belvedere

» Well, I did it, I got a 58!!!!!
Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:13 pm by Bloodhound1958

John Carpenter Shout Out!
Alexandra Paul Shout Out!
Christine Movie Soundtrack
Youtube Filmscore Mix
Share | 

The root beer brown Fury

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Big M
Administrator
Administrator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

ELITE GOLDEN COMMANDO CONTRIBUTOR

Big Block 361

PostSubject: The root beer brown Fury   Tue May 08, 2012 9:07 pm

A bit of a story to this one, A friend of mine whom is a criminal attorney in Northern California told me that a fellow he knew in Susanville Ca. had some run ins with the law, and was put in the pokey. The folks he rented from were friends of this attorney, and they wanted all the cars removed from the property, there were several late fifties Mercs and a few Galaxies. The jailed fellow was going to use the cars in destruction derbies, and had scoured the mountains to locate them.

I was given directions to find the property written on the back of a cigarette pack, and they had smudged somewhat and were hard to read. Susanville is about 200 miles from me, but I took a day off, and hopped in my Fury, to see what was really there. The price was right [free] for the cars, so it may be a good deal. I don't know what happened, but I could not find anything close to what I had been told, so I took a side journey up a winding mountain road, and ended up near the town of Westwood. There was an old junkyard there, so I Figured I'd make some use of the day spent, as well as the fuel. I wasn't paying attention, and made a wrong turn down a dead end lane, and there between the trees was a '57 Nash rambler.

I stopped to check the car out, and noticed a familiar shape in an old dilapidated shed behind the rambler, a '58 Plymouth! The car was covered with old tarps and plywood, and I didn't want to trespass on unknown grounds, so I looked from afar, seeing gold inserts on the body. Yes1 it was a '58 Fury!

I knocked on the door of the house on the property, and no one came to greet me. It was getting late in the afternoon, and I decided to leave a business card in the mailbox, with a note that said I was interested in buying the Fury. I didn't hear anything back for several months, but never got a chance to get time off to see if anyone was home.

About a year and a half passes by, and it was a typical weekend at the yard, people looking around, and a few buying something. One older guy kept staring at my '57, and said, "you really do like these Plymouths, don't you? He then introduced himself as Tony, the fellow from Westwood with the '58. I asked him if it was for sale, and he said he might consider it, if he got the right offer, but wanted me to come look at it first, as he said it had been in the shed for many years.

I was all set to visit him the next Wednesday, but the night before, there was a snowstorm in the upper elevations, and he received three feet of snow, and didn't want to fool with it.

Story to be continued...

---John
Back to top Go down
318Fins
Administrator
Administrator

V8 Poly 318

PostSubject: Re: The root beer brown Fury   Tue May 08, 2012 9:17 pm

Wow John you got me on the edge of my seat!, Its very encouraging and exciting to know out there somewhere theres Furys or simply any of these cars to be found ill stay tuned..... Smile
Back to top Go down
58plym
CCC Member
CCC Member

Big Block 440 One Bad azz Machine

PostSubject: Re: The root beer brown Fury   Tue May 08, 2012 10:01 pm

Hey John I am hanging in the air :affraid:

"THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER
Back to top Go down
JAG
Administrator
Administrator

1st LIEUTENANT OF THE KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

506/ 505hp Viper V10

PostSubject: Re: The root beer brown Fury   Wed May 09, 2012 1:07 am

wow John i didnt know there was going to be a cliff hanger lol! i hope you get this car no matter what shape it is in would love to see a real fury come back to life

CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: The root beer brown Fury   Wed May 09, 2012 3:16 pm

You are a Fury magnet, I really hope it is good and that you can get it.

Administrator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

Big Block 361

PostSubject: Re: The root beer brown Fury   Wed May 09, 2012 3:21 pm

I was able to get it, I may have not clarified, the story takes place in 2004-2005. Here is a quick photo.
---John

CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: The root beer brown Fury   Wed May 09, 2012 3:27 pm

Cool, Too Awesome.

CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: The root beer brown Fury   Wed May 09, 2012 4:25 pm

So it's your 58 fury john? That means you got to restore her!
ty

Administrator
Administrator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

Big Block 361

PostSubject: Re: The root beer brown Fury   Wed May 09, 2012 5:55 pm

The car will be a future project, once I get some of the others done. I plan to do a nut and bolt restoration to be as close to a factory Fury as possible. Been gathering parts now for seven years.

Administrator
Administrator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

Big Block 361

PostSubject: Re: The root beer brown Fury   Wed May 09, 2012 6:41 pm

The continuation...

Several smaller snowstorms in the next couple of weeks made it impossible to go get up to where the car was to look at it, much less load it onto a trailer, and I was getting antsy, because sometimes people will change their minds about selling a car, or someone will tell them it is worth a fortune.

The snow melted off by mid-may, but then I couldn't get an answer on the phone. Little did I know was that Tony owned another home elsewhere, and he was tidying that place up so he could go to the mountains for the summer. He finally called me back, and said he would be there Wednesday, and to come up then. As luck would have it, Westwood received about 3 inches of snow, but he said to have a look anyhow. The trip was uneventful, as Cal-Trans had removed the snow from the highway.

Tony removed the covers from the car, along with the old plywood, and I could see that the drivetrain and hood were missing. He saw my concern, and told me he had those parts, but had to locate them. I saw no rust in the trunk or body, which was a good thing, indeed. I had no idea of what to offer, or even the current value, but since I paid $4000 for my '57, I had figured it to be worth a grand more. I made the offer of five grand cash, and he said he would consider it, but had to think on it. Three weeks went by, and I heard nothing, so I figured either I had insulted him with too low an offer, or he was in no hurry to sell.

I finally called him up, and asked if he had a chance to think about my offer, and he said he was undecided still. I asked if another thousand dollars would sweeten the pot enough, and he said Yes! I didn't want him to change his mind, so I told him I would leave here about 5 A.M. and see him about Nine.l He said that it would work, but he hadn't had time to look for the missing engine, transmission, or hood, but he thought he remembered where they were.

After a rather sleepless night, I hooked up the car trailer, and headed northeast to Westwood to Tony's house. It was a cool morning in the hills, but the rising sun began to warm things up. We had to move his old Rambler, he wanted to drive it from it;'s resting spot, but the gasoline had soured, so I used a come along and snatch block to move the car sideways in order to access my prize. Surprisingly, two of the Furys tires held air, and it was easy to get up on the trailer. I noticed the car had a Hollywood dealer's tag on the rear plate, also that the car had not been registered since 1968.

While I was loading the car, Tony showed up with the engine short block on a dolly, and the two of us loaded it into the back of my truck. The transmission was harder to locate, seems the foster child he had taken care of some years back had rolled it down a hill! we retrieved it with no troubles, and I checked to see that it was not full of water, and it seemed OK. We went into his shop, and located all other engine parts except for one valve cover, but being a 318 , it was no big deal. The hood was another story. I hopped in Tony's truck, and rode to the other side of town where he had an older rental house. I asked what all the furniture was doing on the lawn, half of it broken, and he told me the last renters were druggies and it took a legal fight to evict them. Then they trashed ther house to the best of their ability before they left.

Luckily for me, the Fury hood was tossed in a pile of trash, moldy mattresses and such, but was not damaged. Tony invited me in for a cup of tea before I left, and I paid him for the car. He did ask if I was going to make a Christine car of it, and seemed relieved when I told him no. I saw him about a year later, he found the missing valve cover and crossmember and trans cooling lines, and dropped them off, but that was the last time I saw him. I asked if he knew any history on the car, and all he could tell me was he bought it from someone that moved to westwood 40 years ago from Southern California, that didn;t want the car any longer.

Once I arrived home, I reassembled the engine [it still turned!] and transmission, and installed everything back in the car so I would not lose parts to it. Here are a few photos I took before she went into the barn for another period of rest.
---John

CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: The root beer brown Fury   Wed May 09, 2012 7:04 pm

WOOOOW THATS AMAZING JOHN!!!! REALLY AWSOME!!!!! Very Happy Looks like a great plymouth let alone a actual fury! AWSOME!! Just think you have a 57 fury now you have a 58 fury!
ty

CCC Member
CCC Member

"Badass" Poly 318!

PostSubject: Re: The root beer brown Fury   Wed May 09, 2012 7:11 pm

Well!!! You have me on the edge of my seat. Do you still have her? I sure could use the power brake set up off her. lol!

Administrator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

Big Block 361

PostSubject: Re: The root beer brown Fury   Wed May 09, 2012 8:13 pm

crazy58fury wrote:
WOOOOW THATS AMAZING JOHN!!!! REALLY AWSOME!!!!! Very Happy Looks like a great plymouth let alone a actual fury! AWSOME!! Just think you have a 57 fury now you have a 58 fury!
ty

Thanks, Ty, Hopefully I can get to it sooner than later.

---John
Back to top Go down
Big M
Administrator
Administrator

KNIGHTS ORDER OF THE CCC

Big Block 361

PostSubject: Re: The root beer brown Fury   Wed May 09, 2012 8:15 pm

Arnie1964 wrote:
Well!!! You have me on the edge of my seat. Do you still have her? I sure could use the power brake set up off her. lol!

I do still have the car, Jim, just collecting parts for the future restoration.

I need to finish Rusty first, followed by a DeSoto convertible for my wife.

Do you need a power brake system? If so, I'll check to see whether I still have one available.

---John
Back to top Go down
318Fins
Administrator
Administrator

V8 Poly 318

PostSubject: Re: The root beer brown Fury   Wed May 09, 2012 8:57 pm

Im in Awe what a find! , Theyre just soo tough to find in that condition and all complete, let alone a real deal Fury....
Back to top Go down
58plym
CCC Member
CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: The root beer brown Fury   Wed May 09, 2012 9:23 pm

Yea John I always like a sroty with a happy ending, seems like you have a few resto projects lined up of your own. Smile

Back to top Go down
JAG
Administrator
Administrator

506/ 505hp Viper V10

PostSubject: Re: The root beer brown Fury   Wed May 09, 2012 11:29 pm

wow john i had no idea this story took place seven years ago i thought it was real time, what a beautiful fury you have there, you got a once maybe twice for you deal of a lifetime. cant wait until you start restoring her

CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: The root beer brown Fury   Thu May 10, 2012 11:21 am

John were going to have to start cazllinhg you two Fury John Hee! Hee! I had a frienhd well guess he is still a friend . I have told this story before I think on the old forum.

His name is Larry Lancaster, he had a Lumber co and sold it. He has or is one of the guys that has money running out of his azz Hee! Hee! He buys those 572 cheby crait engines like I buy a water pump Smile

He builds a new racecar about everyh season, I love his cars though even though they are cheby's scratch Dam did I say that Hee! Hee!

Well He had a 35 Ford now all of these are 572 powered, His Wife Rolled that Last year maybe year before last, He has a greart Looking 50 Cheby and a 58 Cheby pick up, all can run way in the 9 secounds. Also has a Corvette.

Well he built a Nice 57 Plymouth Fury with a 440 Then he built a 58 Fury Stock bodys but maybe not the origenal running gears.

He took the 57 Fury to Hot August Nights in Reno Nevada, he sold it and the guy found out he had the 58 ande bought it also. Now here is the sad part. He put all that money pluss probly some more building a 57 Cheby :face:

I knew him but not that well and I told him that that was the stupidest thing anybody could ever do is take two Great Plymouth Furys sell them and then build a blankedy blank ol 57 Cheby. I said I wouldn't trade my 58 for any 57 cheby they were if I had to drive it. Hee! Hee!

We aqre great friends now , But he knows I am a Mopar person. lol!

Back to top Go down
JAG
Administrator
Administrator

506/ 505hp Viper V10

PostSubject: Re: The root beer brown Fury   Thu May 10, 2012 1:07 pm

that is a shame bob selling two great cars for a cookie cutter car wow

CCC Member

PostSubject: Re: The root beer brown Fury   Thu May 10, 2012 2:01 pm

That is one good car for a sweet deal, you keep hitting the great car lotto and maybe one day I can winn the regular lotto and buy the car off your hands j/k and I am glad you are bringing it back to original no matter how much I love Christine the factory Fury is too much more important for history.

The root beer brown Fury

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Christine Car Club :: Members Rides, Restorations & Pictures :: Members Rides :: 1957-58 Plymouth-