The Christine Car Club

Dedicated To The Restoration And Maintenance Of The 1957-1958 Plymouth

Latest topics
» Good Friday
Were there different rear view mirrors availble in 1957/58? EmptyYesterday at 10:13 am by Bloodhound1958

» 1958 Plymouth Belvedere Door weatherstrip
Were there different rear view mirrors availble in 1957/58? EmptyMon Apr 15, 2019 11:58 pm by furvedere

» Christine Art
Were there different rear view mirrors availble in 1957/58? EmptyTue Apr 09, 2019 2:46 am by Christinefan824

» Scanned Plymouth materials
Were there different rear view mirrors availble in 1957/58? EmptyTue Mar 19, 2019 3:43 am by Christinefan824

» The Depth of His Love
Were there different rear view mirrors availble in 1957/58? EmptyThu Mar 14, 2019 9:54 am by goat19642004

» It's Time to Find My Car
Were there different rear view mirrors availble in 1957/58? EmptyWed Feb 27, 2019 8:46 am by HeliPilot71

» A Stone in Your Shoe?
Were there different rear view mirrors availble in 1957/58? EmptyMon Feb 11, 2019 12:25 pm by furvedere

» Happy Thanksgiving!
Were there different rear view mirrors availble in 1957/58? EmptySat Jan 19, 2019 10:36 am by Christine Van

» Wurlitzer Jukebox Model 2510 Project. Any ideas?
Were there different rear view mirrors availble in 1957/58? EmptyFri Jan 18, 2019 7:56 pm by Bloodhound1958

» Time is Short
Were there different rear view mirrors availble in 1957/58? EmptyWed Jan 09, 2019 8:51 am by goat19642004

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

John Carpenter Shout Out!
Alexandra Paul Shout Out!
Christine Movie Soundtrack

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Christine Car Club » Christine Car Club Tech Section » Body, Interior & Exterior Trim & Paint: » Were there different rear view mirrors availble in 1957/58?

Were there different rear view mirrors availble in 1957/58?

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

RacerRick

CCC Member
CCC Member
I was missing the rear view mirror from my 57' and bought one from a guy who was restoring his 57. I was at the shop this weekend and going to install it, but I can't see any way it can install. The mirror I have has a round base with a large mounting plate, but the dash only has a small retangular hole....

Do I have the right mirror? Is there another mirror for 1957?

JAG

JAG
Administrator
Administrator
i dont know if 57 is different then 58 but that doesnt sound like the one on my 58 at all

ChristineFury

ChristineFury
CCC Member
CCC Member
I always thought they were the same with the only difference was where they are put on the dashes.

RacerRick

CCC Member
CCC Member
Anyone have a pic of the proper 57 mirror mounted? Maybe I am just missing something....

Big M

Big M
Administrator
Administrator
Rick,
The '57 mirrors use a special mount that fits in with the lower windshield garnish trim.
There are three mounting screws that fasten this to the very back of the dash.

---John

RacerRick

CCC Member
CCC Member
The one I have has a 3"x3" plate, and the stem of the mirror goes through the plate, and is threaded. A large nut holds the threaded stem to the plate.

I think I need a proper 57' mirror. What I needs sounds exactly like John from Big M described.

Arnie1964

Arnie1964
CCC Member
CCC Member
I just took mine off the 58 this weekend Rick. I bet your mirror has a small flat spot on the threaded portion and the plate for under the dash also has a flat sop to match up to. Sounds like you have a 58 mirror. The plate actually has a slight bend to match the shape of the dash.

RacerRick

CCC Member
CCC Member
Arnie1964 wrote:I just took mine off the 58 this weekend Rick. I bet your mirror has a small flat spot on the threaded portion and the plate for under the dash also has a flat sop to match up to. Sounds like you have a 58 mirror. The plate actually has a slight bend to match the shape of the dash.

That describes it to a T! I guess I have a 58' mirror. Anyone need one? I am in need of a 57' mirror I guess.

Carjunky

Carjunky
CCC Member
CCC Member
RacerRick wrote:
Arnie1964 wrote:I just took mine off the 58 this weekend Rick. I bet your mirror has a small flat spot on the threaded portion and the plate for under the dash also has a flat sop to match up to. Sounds like you have a 58 mirror. The plate actually has a slight bend to match the shape of the dash.

That describes it to a T! I guess I have a 58' mirror. Anyone need one? I am in need of a 57' mirror I guess.

I have a 57 I would trade Rick. I will get some pictures for you later.

Carjunky

Carjunky
CCC Member
CCC Member
Is this what you need? It is out of my 57 Plaza but the glass is bad. It is a day night and goes on the lower window trim like John said. Someone may have a better one to trade you.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

RacerRick

CCC Member
CCC Member
That is the one I need. Is the class part of the mirror easy to change?

If not, I may have to find one with a good mirror.

Carjunky

Carjunky
CCC Member
CCC Member
Rick I never tried to fix a mirror yet. I'm hoping a glass company can refinish or cut me a new one. Maybe John has a good one for you. Wouldn't hurt to ask.

58plym

58plym
CCC Member
CCC Member
My Mirror on RedSled must have been a special order at the Factory Hee! Hee!

Were there different rear view mirrors availble in 1957/58? NewSteeringWheelin58002

You can see a little bit of it but I have an original Blue Max Racing cap I always have ih my trunk for Luck. lol! Some times it helps and sometimes it don't Smile

Big M

Big M
Administrator
Administrator
The Day/Night mirrors use a special prismatic glass that is not available. You could probably make it into a standard mirror by having a glass company break the old mirror to remove it, and cut a new piece of mirror to go in place of the prismatic one.

I've done this with other ones in the past, usually $10-$20 is all they will charge.

---John

JAG

JAG
Administrator
Administrator
Big M wrote:The Day/Night mirrors use a special prismatic glass that is not available. You could probably make it into a standard mirror by having a glass company break the old mirror to remove it, and cut a new piece of mirror to go in place of the prismatic one.

I've done this with other ones in the past, usually $10-$20 is all they will charge.

---John

thats good to know john, i would have never thought you could change it

58plym

58plym
CCC Member
CCC Member
I have a good one, The day and night mirror Maybe someday I will put it back on but the one I have in now. Man you can see everything behind you. Smile

Carjunky

Carjunky
CCC Member
CCC Member
Big M wrote:The Day/Night mirrors use a special prismatic glass that is not available. You could probably make it into a standard mirror by having a glass company break the old mirror to remove it, and cut a new piece of mirror to go in place of the prismatic one.

---John

John is there any thing you don't know? Thanks for the information. Cool

ChristineFury

ChristineFury
CCC Member
CCC Member
They can't take the glass out then put new silver or whatever they used in the back of the glass like some people do with regular mirrors?

JAG

JAG
Administrator
Administrator
ChristineFury wrote:They can't take the glass out then put new silver or whatever they used in the back of the glass like some people do with regular mirrors?

as John stated above "The Day/Night mirrors use a special prismatic glass that is not available"

ChristineFury

ChristineFury
CCC Member
CCC Member
Yeah but why does that mean you can't just clean the original silver off then put new stuff on the back of the glass, the glass should be just glass without the silver which it needs to work so that is what is confusing?

Sorry it just doesn't make sense to me.

JAG

JAG
Administrator
Administrator
ChristineFury wrote:Yeah but why does that mean you can't just clean the original silver off then put new stuff on the back of the glass, the glass should be just glass without the silver which it needs to work so that is what is confusing?

Sorry it just doesn't make sense to me.

as John said above "You could probably make it into a standard mirror by having a glass company break the old mirror to remove it"

Arnie1964

Arnie1964
CCC Member
CCC Member
You are right that you could paint the back of the existing glass silver to restore it. The problem is getting the glass out of the frame without breaking it. John is also right when he says " not available". What he means is you can't find a replacement prismatic glaass for the 58 mirror. The Chinees are now getting heavy into making prismatic glass for many different uses. They are starting to make mirrors again for cars but not for our cars. Remember the prismatic glass is ground or cut for thickness to fit the item it is going into to work properly. This means a mirror would have to be made to spec for the 58 frame. Hope that is as clear as mud now!

RacerRick

CCC Member
CCC Member
So I either have to get a good one or not have day/night. I kind of need day/night because I have a astigmatism and can get night blinded by bright lights....

Arnie1964

Arnie1964
CCC Member
CCC Member
My 58 mirror just screws onto the top of the shaft. If the 57 mirror does the same thing you can use either a 57 or 58 mirror by taking the old off the shaft and replace with a good used one.

Carjunky

Carjunky
CCC Member
CCC Member
I think this is one of the day night glass but costly.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-MOPAR-MIRROR-MATIC-1958-1959-1960-DODGE-PLYMOUTH-CHRYSLER-DESOTO-/120935177729?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c284c5e01&vxp=mtr

JAG

JAG
Administrator
Administrator
Carjunky wrote:I think this is one of the day night glass but costly.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-MOPAR-MIRROR-MATIC-1958-1959-1960-DODGE-PLYMOUTH-CHRYSLER-DESOTO-/120935177729?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c284c5e01&vxp=mtr

chrissy i believe this is the one that automatically tints if someone behind you has their high beams on,

Big M

Big M
Administrator
Administrator
That's the mirror matic optional self dimming mirror. These were introduced for the '59 Mopar model year.

---John

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum