The Christine Car Club

Dedicated To The Restoration And Maintenance Of The 1957-1958 Plymouth

Latest topics
» Good Friday
Fitting Windscreen glass with new rubbers EmptyYesterday at 10:13 am by Bloodhound1958

» 1958 Plymouth Belvedere Door weatherstrip
Fitting Windscreen glass with new rubbers EmptyMon Apr 15, 2019 11:58 pm by furvedere

» Christine Art
Fitting Windscreen glass with new rubbers EmptyTue Apr 09, 2019 2:46 am by Christinefan824

» Scanned Plymouth materials
Fitting Windscreen glass with new rubbers EmptyTue Mar 19, 2019 3:43 am by Christinefan824

» The Depth of His Love
Fitting Windscreen glass with new rubbers EmptyThu Mar 14, 2019 9:54 am by goat19642004

» It's Time to Find My Car
Fitting Windscreen glass with new rubbers EmptyWed Feb 27, 2019 8:46 am by HeliPilot71

» A Stone in Your Shoe?
Fitting Windscreen glass with new rubbers EmptyMon Feb 11, 2019 12:25 pm by furvedere

» Happy Thanksgiving!
Fitting Windscreen glass with new rubbers EmptySat Jan 19, 2019 10:36 am by Christine Van

» Wurlitzer Jukebox Model 2510 Project. Any ideas?
Fitting Windscreen glass with new rubbers EmptyFri Jan 18, 2019 7:56 pm by Bloodhound1958

» Time is Short
Fitting Windscreen glass with new rubbers EmptyWed Jan 09, 2019 8:51 am by goat19642004

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

John Carpenter Shout Out!
Alexandra Paul Shout Out!
Christine Movie Soundtrack

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Christine Car Club » Christine Car Club Tech Section » Body, Interior & Exterior Trim & Paint: » Fitting Windscreen glass with new rubbers

Fitting Windscreen glass with new rubbers

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Fitting Windscreen glass with new rubbers Empty Fitting Windscreen glass with new rubbers on Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:37 pm

25tj25

25tj25
CCC Member
CCC Member
Hi fellow CCC members
I bought new windscreen rubbers for Andy B's
didn't realise they are not 1 piece like the originals
anyway, has anybody fitted new rubbers before
also does anyone have images how the rubber extrusion is fitted to the car frames
as I have a pile of rubber in a box, I did order front and rear's Neutral

thanks
knighty

2Fitting Windscreen glass with new rubbers Empty Re: Fitting Windscreen glass with new rubbers on Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:56 pm

58plym

58plym
CCC Member
CCC Member
Knighty, Yea I tried everywhere to get a new one piece front seal but no luck, I finall found a like new used one. I know they are people Like John Big M and others can help you ouit with how to inhstall and everything a lot better then I Smile

3Fitting Windscreen glass with new rubbers Empty Re: Fitting Windscreen glass with new rubbers on Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:20 pm

25tj25

25tj25
CCC Member
CCC Member
the worse thing is mine originals were not to bad, a little perished
was told to put them in tranmission oil for awhile. well I had them in there for nearly 2 years Crying or Very sad
and now they are big enough to fit a kenworth windscreens.
so I bought new ones and got a box of rubber extrusion Shocked

do you know Big M's PM as I have some parts I need too!

knighty

4Fitting Windscreen glass with new rubbers Empty Re: Fitting Windscreen glass with new rubbers on Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:36 am

Hey Tim,

I bought an origonal rear rubber from John. He gave me the best one he had which was a little dry. I put the rubber in trans fluid also to make it a little more flexible.
it actuall grew in the fluid as it expanded and I had it on my shed roof all sumer to try to dry it out. It didnt work so i sat the rubber in the apeture and taped it to the car body and cut the excess and glued the ends together with LOCTITE 501 superglue. Its a fiddly job but my rear screen is water tight and still in there. the glue held really well too and hasnt split at all. you could do the same thing with the 1 piece rubber but you would have to watch the corners as they are not moulded to the corners. If your old rubber is in good order you could always cut the corners to rebuild the rubber seal. This would be pretty risky as you could stuff up a good origonal rubber and the new one if you dont get it right!

5Fitting Windscreen glass with new rubbers Empty Re: Fitting Windscreen glass with new rubbers on Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:35 am

58plym

58plym
CCC Member
CCC Member
Yea That would be worth a try. Smile

6Fitting Windscreen glass with new rubbers Empty Re: Fitting Windscreen glass with new rubbers on Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:55 am

25tj25

25tj25
CCC Member
CCC Member
Hey Jase and Rob,

thanks for the replies, just checking if any responses and here they are.
ok will try the loctite 501 - I had mine in the tranny oil way to long. they are that soft and expanded to much.
the 4 items I have I worked out which goes were, just wasn';t sure how to join them but you answered it so thank you.

The originals have moulded corners so the new rubber I'm not really impressed with, I didn't know they had to be made up
but dont have much choice I guess. I emailed AB and no response or help either so that it disapointing

will give it ago gents and hopefully it works out ok

thanks for the replys fellas

tk

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum