» The Depth of His Love
Driver quality grill. EmptyThu Mar 14, 2019 9:54 am by goat19642004

» It's Time to Find My Car
Driver quality grill. EmptyWed Feb 27, 2019 8:46 am by HeliPilot71

» A Stone in Your Shoe?
Driver quality grill. EmptyMon Feb 11, 2019 12:25 pm by furvedere

» Happy Thanksgiving!
Driver quality grill. EmptySat Jan 19, 2019 10:36 am by Christine Van

» Wurlitzer Jukebox Model 2510 Project. Any ideas?
Driver quality grill. EmptyFri Jan 18, 2019 7:56 pm by Bloodhound1958

» Time is Short
Driver quality grill. EmptyWed Jan 09, 2019 8:51 am by goat19642004

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

John Carpenter Shout Out!
Alexandra Paul Shout Out!
Christine Movie Soundtrack

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Christine Car Club » Christine Car Club Tech Section » Body, Interior & Exterior Trim & Paint: » Driver quality grill.

Driver quality grill.

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Driver quality grill. Empty Driver quality grill. on Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:21 am

Arnie1964

Arnie1964
CCC Member
CCC Member
I had a grill that was in pretty bad shape yet I hated to just give up on it. I still have to pop rivit on two aluminum mounting tabs. This it a couple of tips for anyone who is looking to fix up a grill in rough shape for a driver quality grill if they can't afford the $$$$ to get it anodized.

Clean the grill really good with degreaser soap and water. If there is ant rust on the mounting tabs steel wool it off. Run a scotch brite pad over the entire grill. The rust areas prime with Rustoleum rusty metal primer. Sprat grill with adhesion promoter. Rustoleum makes a wheel paint for aluminum wheels. It will take two cans to do the front two coats and the back. Paint the grill and let it dry.

Driver quality grill. 005-20

Driver quality grill. 006-10

Just a little tip for those who have a grill in rough shape that can't afford to get it redone or to buy another one. Will make a nice driver quality grill.

2Driver quality grill. Empty Re: Driver quality grill. on Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:31 am

Bloodhound1958

Bloodhound1958
Founder/Webmaster/Administrator
Founder/Webmaster/Administrator
Very nice Jim. Excellent advice for those of us on a budget! Smile

https://www.christinecarclubforum.com

3Driver quality grill. Empty Re: Driver quality grill. on Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:47 am

Great advise Jim! Also the movie used thin chrome sticker tape for the face of the grill that you would normanally see.

4Driver quality grill. Empty Re: Driver quality grill. on Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:54 pm

318Fins

318Fins
Administrator
Administrator
Looks Great Jim Ive done same on previous projects and they look good,its not type of thing that will be noticed by 99% of folks excellent way to save cash and concentrate it on the more crucial parts of the build.

5Driver quality grill. Empty Re: Driver quality grill. on Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:00 pm

Carjunky

Carjunky
CCC Member
CCC Member
Looks real nice Jim. !Smile 

6Driver quality grill. Empty Re: Driver quality grill. on Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:57 pm

Big M

Big M
Administrator
Administrator
Now that's good, clear, thinking!

It came out great, Jim!

---John

7Driver quality grill. Empty Re: Driver quality grill. on Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:08 pm

JAG

JAG
Administrator
Administrator
not a bad idea, looks nice Very Happy

8Driver quality grill. Empty Re: Driver quality grill. on Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:58 pm

Pissed58

CCC Member
CCC Member
IMG_1306.PNG

If I bought a 57 Plymouth with this kind of front grill could I change it to a 58 grill?
Sean

9Driver quality grill. Empty Re: Driver quality grill. on Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:33 pm

1958PlymouthFuryChristine

CCC Member
CCC Member
Sean, I believe '57 and '58 Plymouth's both have different grilles.
Also they pretty much have a whole different front end.
So if you are trying to make your '57 converted to a '58, you would have to get a '58 grille and put it on your '57.
Along with a whole lot of other '58 front end pieces- such as: grille, lower grille, headlights, hood emblems.
Then there is other pieces on the car as well: taillights, mirrors (interior/exterior), trunk emblems, side trim.
Now I bet I left out a lot there, cause I am not exactly an expert yet on these cars, but it at least gives you an idea of what you would have to convert on your car to make her a '58...

Hope I helped you out here. Smile

10Driver quality grill. Empty Re: Driver quality grill. on Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:34 pm

DevilsRide

DevilsRide
CCC Moderator
CCC Moderator
Sean, Im sorry but I cant see the picture you posted. Maybe try again.  But if your looking to put a 58 grill on a 57 the answer is it can be done. But it will require some modification. Its not just a bolt on type deal. You will need more then just the 58 grill. You will also need the dual headlight buckets that the 58 used. Plus the aluminum headlight eyebrows. And once you have those items there will still be the need to modify the front fender headlight bucket area on the 57 to except the 58 headlight buckets. While I haven't done this myself personally I have looked into it and I can tell you it will be some work to do this. So it all comes down to how bad do you want the 58 look.

Good luck my friend. Smile

Brian.

11Driver quality grill. Empty Re: Driver quality grill. on Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:46 pm

eva_392

CCC Member
CCC Member
There is a thread on the old CCC site that details converting the 57 fenders to accepting the 58 headlight buckets. It a bit of work. I stayed with the 57 look on mine.

12Driver quality grill. Empty Re: Driver quality grill. on Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:53 pm

Pissed58

CCC Member
CCC Member
Ok thanks very much mates sorry I am not sure how to share pics on this website yet but you answered my question
thx CCC
Sean

13Driver quality grill. Empty Re: Driver quality grill. on Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:57 am

DevilsRide

DevilsRide
CCC Moderator
CCC Moderator
Well Sean, Good luck my friend with whatever you decide to do. I don't want to discourage you from trying it. Its just not a bolt on type deal.

Brian.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum