» The Depth of His Love
Replacement Headliner EmptyThu Mar 14, 2019 9:54 am by goat19642004

» It's Time to Find My Car
Replacement Headliner EmptyWed Feb 27, 2019 8:46 am by HeliPilot71

» A Stone in Your Shoe?
Replacement Headliner EmptyMon Feb 11, 2019 12:25 pm by furvedere

» Happy Thanksgiving!
Replacement Headliner EmptySat Jan 19, 2019 10:36 am by Christine Van

» Wurlitzer Jukebox Model 2510 Project. Any ideas?
Replacement Headliner EmptyFri Jan 18, 2019 7:56 pm by Bloodhound1958

» Time is Short
Replacement Headliner EmptyWed Jan 09, 2019 8:51 am by goat19642004

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

John Carpenter Shout Out!
Alexandra Paul Shout Out!
Christine Movie Soundtrack

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Christine Car Club » Christine Car Club Tech Section » Body, Interior & Exterior Trim & Paint: » Replacement Headliner

Replacement Headliner

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Replacement Headliner Empty Replacement Headliner on Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:56 am

57belv

57belv
Administrator
Administrator
Does anyone know of a good substitute for the cardboard headliner material on the 57/8's? Specifically the center section.  I know Mopar Mel has reproductions but they are $200 per panel.

2Replacement Headliner Empty Re: Replacement Headliner on Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:03 am

Arnie1964

Arnie1964
CCC Member
CCC Member
I think Big Joe "Evil Plymouth" has been working with someone to get these reproduced.

3Replacement Headliner Empty Re: Replacement Headliner on Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:25 pm

furvedere

furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain
Arnie1964 wrote:I think Big Joe "Evil Plymouth" has been working with someone to get these reproduced.
Something has to happen here...can't have Mopar Mel having that monopoly on headliners. If the sport tone inserts can be reproduced I'm certain the technology is out there to reproduce the headliners. It's just that no one has taken the time/money to do it yet. I would think the side pieces (being contoured) would be the most difficult to duplicate...but in a pinch, the center could be replaced with something found at Home Depot or Lowes. Wouldn't have all the little holes of course...but it would certainly look better than having nothing up there.

Bob

Last edited by furvedere on Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has life, he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.
1 John 5:11-12 cheers

4Replacement Headliner Empty Re: Replacement Headliner on Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:14 pm

JAG

JAG
Administrator
Administrator
agreed Bob Very Happy

5Replacement Headliner Empty Re: Replacement Headliner on Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:27 pm

57belv

57belv
Administrator
Administrator
I see SMS auto has a perforated vinyl headliner material, I have thought about buying that and gluing it to some kind of backer board for the center piece, the trouble is finding something thin enough.

6Replacement Headliner Empty Re: Replacement Headliner on Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:53 pm

Andy1974

Andy1974
CCC Moderator
CCC Moderator
The problem reproducing such parts is not the technique itself. A mold is needed. To make a mold you´ll need one nearly intact headliner to take an 3D imprint because it is bend in 2 directions. But normally, intact headliners are installed in a car. Who is gentle enough to remove his intact headliners for taking an imprint? I think Mopar Mel was smart enough to make a mold using an intact headliner.
A friend of me restoring a Christine is trying to make a new headliner out of a broken, incomplete one. I´ll report if he has success.

7Replacement Headliner Empty Re: Replacement Headliner on Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:26 pm

Bloodhound

Bloodhound
CCC Member
CCC Member
This is an interesting dilemma and one the hobby has been dealing with forever. Solid fiberglass side panels would be the way to go imo. You wouldn't have to worry about them deteriorating. As for the center section that would be the easiest. Thin straight cardboard with perforated vinyl. Perhaps the club should look into getting these made?

8Replacement Headliner Empty Re: Replacement Headliner on Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:35 pm

JAG

JAG
Administrator
Administrator
easiest way to remove or install a headliner in any car is when the front or rear windshield is removed Very Happy

9Replacement Headliner Empty Re: Replacement Headliner on Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:21 am

57belv

57belv
Administrator
Administrator
I wonder how well a piece of thin sheet aluminum would work?

10Replacement Headliner Empty Re: Replacement Headliner on Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:29 am

57belv

57belv
Administrator
Administrator
Speaking of headliners, can someone tell me how to remove the headliner garnish trim that runs above the drivers side and passenger side windows? Thanks Chris.

11Replacement Headliner Empty Re: Replacement Headliner on Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:52 pm

318Fins

318Fins
Administrator
Administrator
I beleive they have standard phillips screws no?

12Replacement Headliner Empty Re: Replacement Headliner on Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:07 pm

57belv

57belv
Administrator
Administrator
Well the front and rear trim pieces have screws but the side trim doesn't seem to have any visible hardware holding it up that I could see so I'm guessing there are clips of some sort behind them. My biggest fear is trying to remove them blindly.

13Replacement Headliner Empty Re: Replacement Headliner on Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:10 pm

JAG

JAG
Administrator
Administrator
57belv wrote:I wonder how well a piece of thin sheet aluminum would work?

i think aluminium might make noise as you drive?

14Replacement Headliner Empty Re: Replacement Headliner on Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:11 pm

JAG

JAG
Administrator
Administrator
57belv wrote:Well the front and rear trim pieces have screws but the side trim doesn't seem to have any visible hardware holding it up that I could see so I'm guessing there are clips of some sort behind them. My biggest fear is trying to remove them blindly.

if my memory serves me correctly you have to open the doors and remove the top piece that the window goes up into then there are screws to remove the side pieces

15Replacement Headliner Empty Re: Replacement Headliner on Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:41 pm

57belv

57belv
Administrator
Administrator
Thanks, I'll have to take a closer look at the trim, unfortunately my car is tucked away for winter right now. That's a good point about using aluminum, maybe gluing foam to the backside would help if it is noisy.

16Replacement Headliner Empty Re: Replacement Headliner on Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:46 pm

57belv

57belv
Administrator
Administrator
Well HALLELUJA!! Sorry but I'm just so darned thrilled to have overcome a major P.I.T.A.  I thought I'd share some pics of the REM headliner board I installed along with repairing the holes for the rear window trim. I know my paint job sucks but hey, it looks a heck of a lot better Very Happy

Before...Replacement Headliner <a href=Replacement Headliner P5241115_zps4b8958af" />
Replacement Headliner <a href=
Replacement Headliner <a href=Replacement Headliner HPIM0712_zps4c3b1240" />
Replacement Headliner P5241114_zps52cc2450" />
Replacement Headliner <a href=Replacement Headliner HPIM0714_zps4e307a66" />

After...Replacement Headliner <a href=Replacement Headliner HPIM0748_zpscd617f4f" />
Replacement Headliner <a href=Replacement Headliner HPIM0747_zps3172ddf3" />
Replacement Headliner <a href=Replacement Headliner HPIM0752_zpsc6b219c7" />
Replacement Headliner <a href=Replacement Headliner HPIM0753_zps55b66c7c" />
Replacement Headliner <a href=Replacement Headliner HPIM0754_zpsa8020aa2" />
Replacement Headliner <a href=Replacement Headliner HPIM0755_zpsde82ce5a" />
Replacement Headliner <a href=Replacement Headliner HPIM0756_zps776c50a5" />

Last edited by 57belv on Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

17Replacement Headliner Empty Re: Replacement Headliner on Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:01 pm

furvedere

furvedere
CCC Chaplain
CCC Chaplain
Wow...excellent work Chris! Looks fabulous!...and I don't see one thing wrong with the paint work...?

Very nice...

Bob

And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has life, he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.
1 John 5:11-12 cheers

18Replacement Headliner Empty Re: Replacement Headliner on Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:30 pm

57belv

57belv
Administrator
Administrator
Thanks Bob, I just couldn't seem to get rid of the blotchyness.

19Replacement Headliner Empty Re: Replacement Headliner on Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:02 pm

DevilsRide

DevilsRide
CCC Moderator
CCC Moderator
Wow Chris.. I think that headliner is looking great! Are all the headliners like that in the 57 and 58? Very nice job! Smile

20Replacement Headliner Empty Re: Replacement Headliner on Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:25 pm

57belv

57belv
Administrator
Administrator
Thanks Brian! Yep, all the hardtops are like that. It's just so nice to look at a clean headliner that's complete, it was pretty ratty looking before and the pictures don't really show how grungy it was.

21Replacement Headliner Empty Re: Replacement Headliner on Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:48 am

JAG

JAG
Administrator
Administrator
it turned out great Chris, i bet you feel a lot better getting rid of that eye sore of the old headliner

22Replacement Headliner Empty Re: Replacement Headliner on Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:10 am

57belv

57belv
Administrator
Administrator
Your darn tootin' Joe! It really freshens up the inside of the car and getting the ceiling done has been an ordeal, and now with the freshly painted mouldings installed, I'm quite pleased. Very Happy

23Replacement Headliner Empty Re: Replacement Headliner on Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:31 am

Big M

Big M
Administrator
Administrator
You've done a darn nice job on that headliner, Chris, Looks great!!

---John

24Replacement Headliner Empty Re: Replacement Headliner on Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:52 am

57belv

57belv
Administrator
Administrator
Thanks John! Now if I could just get the rest of the interior done I will be a happy camper.

25Replacement Headliner Empty Re: Replacement Headliner on Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:33 pm

Andy1974

Andy1974
CCC Moderator
CCC Moderator
Well done! Very interesting for me as I´m planning to do something similar in a few weeks.
I will also report, along with the instructions how to make of a completely scratch build headliner. A friend of me did it with great success, here´s the result.

Replacement Headliner Hl00710

26Replacement Headliner Empty Re: Replacement Headliner on Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:16 pm

57belv

57belv
Administrator
Administrator
Thanks Andy! That headliner job your friend did looks awesome, I'm curious to know what he used for the side panels. I almost used a piece of thin sheet pvc plastic for the center part until I came across the perforated board.
Chris.

27Replacement Headliner Empty Re: Replacement Headliner on Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:02 pm

Bloodhound1958

Bloodhound1958
Founder/Webmaster/Administrator
Founder/Webmaster/Administrator
What did you use for the side pieces Chris? Just repaint the originals?

https://www.christinecarclubforum.com

28Replacement Headliner Empty Re: Replacement Headliner on Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:23 pm

57belv

57belv
Administrator
Administrator
Yeah the sides are original and thankfully were in decent shape.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum