» The Depth of His Love
Chrome or not EmptyThu Mar 14, 2019 9:54 am by goat19642004

» It's Time to Find My Car
Chrome or not EmptyWed Feb 27, 2019 8:46 am by HeliPilot71

» A Stone in Your Shoe?
Chrome or not EmptyMon Feb 11, 2019 12:25 pm by furvedere

» Happy Thanksgiving!
Chrome or not EmptySat Jan 19, 2019 10:36 am by Christine Van

» Wurlitzer Jukebox Model 2510 Project. Any ideas?
Chrome or not EmptyFri Jan 18, 2019 7:56 pm by Bloodhound1958

» Time is Short
Chrome or not EmptyWed Jan 09, 2019 8:51 am by goat19642004

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

John Carpenter Shout Out!
Alexandra Paul Shout Out!
Christine Movie Soundtrack

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Christine Car Club » Christine Car Club Tech Section » Body, Interior & Exterior Trim & Paint: » Chrome or not

Chrome or not

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Chrome or not Empty Chrome or not on Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:24 pm

Arnie1964

Arnie1964
CCC Member
CCC Member
Anyone here with enough experience willing to list Christines trim? Chrome, anodized alum, polished alum ect, ect. ect. Interior and exterior. Piece and finish!! I know P L Y M O U T H is chrome.

2Chrome or not Empty Re: Chrome or not on Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:07 pm

Big M

Big M
Administrator
Administrator
Jim,

For '58 Cars specifically,

Plated die-cast [potmetal] pieces include trunk letters, fender ornaments, Dash knobs, inside door handles and window cranks, Hood badge, instrument cluster bezel [Fury], Nameplates.

Plated steel items include Bumpers, interior garnish moldings [Fury], side window frames

Anodized aluminum items include grill halves, headlight bezels and brows, taillight assemblies, tail panel moldings, dash trim, Sportone trim inserts [factory]

Polished stainless includes exterior moldings other than previously mentioned, windshield and rear window moldings, interior door panel moldings, outside door handles.

3Chrome or not Empty Re: Chrome or not on Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:37 am

Arnie1964

Arnie1964
CCC Member
CCC Member
Thanks John. I remember my exterior door handles from 45 years ago were more of a dull Aluminum looking finish so that explains it. Has anyone ever polished their own stainless with compound and a buffing wheel? Your a Gem John to take the time to post tec info on the site. I hate that your info and pic's on rust removal is gone. The picks of your whole car in that tank were Shocked amazing. Better yet the pic's of "How to make your own convertible".

4Chrome or not Empty Re: Chrome or not on Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:49 pm

Big M

Big M
Administrator
Administrator
Jim,

I had a friend in Reno that worked for a shop that did nothing but polish chromed slot machine faces for IGT, he would polish all my trim for the price of a couple cases of beer, if I dinged and filed all the dents out. He did this in his spare time, so you had to be patient, or he would refuse to help out.

Over the years, he probably polished ten or fifteen car's worth of trim, starting with the trim for a '49 Cadillac I restored for my father in 1982. Sadly, Glen passed away from cancer about 8 years ago, so any trim I need to have polished I will have to do myself, as long as time permits. Most of the trim for my '59 was done by him ten years ago, and is still all wrapped up and ready to go.

---John

5Chrome or not Empty Re: Chrome or not on Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:12 pm

58plym

58plym
CCC Member
CCC Member
Yea Jim I dinged and polished out my trim, Done it all myself but wouldn't want to do it agaikn takes so much time and I really don't have the time or patience to do that anymore. But It wold cost a pretty penny to have somebodyh else to do it. But with Stainless yo can wet sand it startihng out with about 400 or that is what I done and worked my ways down to about 1000 and 1500 2000 grit if I can remember right and then put it on the polishing wheel. The smoother you get it before you put it on the wheel the better it will look.

I know if an old Army Sgt can do it a Big Bad Marine should be able to. :sleep: OLh sorryh Jim I dozed off a little. Laughing

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum