» The Depth of His Love
Car Seat Upholstery  EmptyThu Mar 14, 2019 9:54 am by goat19642004

» It's Time to Find My Car
Car Seat Upholstery  EmptyWed Feb 27, 2019 8:46 am by HeliPilot71

» A Stone in Your Shoe?
Car Seat Upholstery  EmptyMon Feb 11, 2019 12:25 pm by furvedere

» Happy Thanksgiving!
Car Seat Upholstery  EmptySat Jan 19, 2019 10:36 am by Christine Van

» Wurlitzer Jukebox Model 2510 Project. Any ideas?
Car Seat Upholstery  EmptyFri Jan 18, 2019 7:56 pm by Bloodhound1958

» Time is Short
Car Seat Upholstery  EmptyWed Jan 09, 2019 8:51 am by goat19642004

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

John Carpenter Shout Out!
Alexandra Paul Shout Out!
Christine Movie Soundtrack

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Christine Car Club » Christine Car Club Tech Section » Body, Interior & Exterior Trim & Paint: » Car Seat Upholstery

Car Seat Upholstery

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

1Car Seat Upholstery  Empty Car Seat Upholstery on Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:14 pm

Carjunky

Carjunky
CCC Member
CCC Member
I've never did car seats before, just snowmobile and motorcycle seats. So please don't take any of this as gospel because I am sure there are better ways of doing it. That being said I started by buying three books and this one was the most helpful. It tells you how to rebuild the seats from the frame up. ....My first frame up restoration. Smile

Car Seat Upholstery  Car425

Before I striped the frames I took plenty of pictures to help me later.

Car Seat Upholstery  Car474

Car Seat Upholstery  Car498

Car Seat Upholstery  Car521

Car Seat Upholstery  Car520

Car Seat Upholstery  Car712

In order to make patterns I had to save every scrap of the old covers. I took every thing apart at the seams to do this.

Car Seat Upholstery  Car480

Next I removed every thing and gave the springs a good bath.

Car Seat Upholstery  Car504

to be continued..............

2Car Seat Upholstery  Empty Re: Car Seat Upholstery on Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:28 pm

58plym

58plym
CCC Member
CCC Member
Hee Hee Crisy, giving them a bath in your bath tub , I need to rebuild the seat in my old truck, It is in pretty bad shape but the only time I use the old truck is to haul stuff off to the dump or pull my car traailer. Smile

3Car Seat Upholstery  Empty Re: Car Seat Upholstery on Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:31 am

Arnie1964

Arnie1964
CCC Member
CCC Member
Chrissy You did such a great job on your seat covers it motivated me to at least try when the time comes. I got some pattern paper. it is like a cardboard that can be rolled up. Commercial cut and sew operations use it to make patterns and save their patterns for use at a later date. I plan on making a pattern of my covers and keeping them for future use. I will have to get a picture of the sewing machine I plan to use.

4Car Seat Upholstery  Empty Re: Car Seat Upholstery on Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:38 am

Carjunky

Carjunky
CCC Member
CCC Member
58plym wrote:Hee Hee Crisy, giving them a bath in your bath tub , I need to rebuild the seat in my old truck, It is in pretty bad shape but the only time I use the old truck is to haul stuff off to the dump or pull my car traailer. Smile

Laughing Yes I did. It was to cold to play in the water outside. Maybe you could get a seat cover for your truck?

5Car Seat Upholstery  Empty Re: Car Seat Upholstery on Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:47 am

Carjunky

Carjunky
CCC Member
CCC Member
Arnie1964 wrote:Chrissy You did such a great job on your seat covers it motivated me to at least try when the time comes. I got some pattern paper. it is like a cardboard that can be rolled up. Commercial cut and sew operations use it to make patterns and save their patterns for use at a later date. I plan on making a pattern of my covers and keeping them for future use. I will have to get a picture of the sewing machine I plan to use.

Bill that commercial paper sounds great. I used masking and news paper. It was cheap and I had to do it over and over before I was happy with what I had. I have a feeling you will become a big help to the members wanting to try this them self's. Yes please add a picture of your sewing machine. I had a hard time with the one's I used.

6Car Seat Upholstery  Empty Re: Car Seat Upholstery on Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:55 am

Arnie1964

Arnie1964
CCC Member
CCC Member
If you want me to send you some enough pattern paper to preserve your patterns PM me with who and where to send it and I will be happy to.

Jim

7Car Seat Upholstery  Empty Re: Car Seat Upholstery on Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:36 am

Carjunky

Carjunky
CCC Member
CCC Member
After the springs were good and dry I did some light sanding and sprayed on a good coat or rust proofing paint.

Car Seat Upholstery  Car564

With hog nose rings and tool a layer of buckram is added to the springs.

Car Seat Upholstery  Car566

Car Seat Upholstery  Car578

Followed by a layer of sound deaden er JUTE.

Car Seat Upholstery  Car581

The front seat need a little extra TLC. If your springs are week you can stuff each one tightly with cotton..... Polyester don't pack and shouldn't be used.

Car Seat Upholstery  Car719

I added a dust cover under the seat to prevent the cotton from getting all over the carpet later.

Car Seat Upholstery  Car722

Car Seat Upholstery  Car723

I added carpet padding to smooth out the cotton lumps. Finished seat is very comfortable.

Car Seat Upholstery  Car725

8Car Seat Upholstery  Empty Re: Car Seat Upholstery on Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:48 am

Carjunky

Carjunky
CCC Member
CCC Member
Arnie1964 wrote:If you want me to send you some enough pattern paper to preserve your patterns PM me with who and where to send it and I will be happy to.

Jim

Thanks Jim but I don't really need any. Think I am finished with patterns for now. Very Happy I'm so happy I actual inspired someone else to try this.

9Car Seat Upholstery  Empty Re: Car Seat Upholstery on Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:24 am

Arnie1964

Arnie1964
CCC Member
CCC Member
Pushing cotton down into the old springs is something I would not have thought of. Just a great job.

10Car Seat Upholstery  Empty Re: Car Seat Upholstery on Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:55 am

58plym

58plym
CCC Member
CCC Member
Crisy used to be a cotton picker, now she is a cotton stuffer, she knows her cotton, she should gert a cottpn picking medal. Hee! Hee! Just kidding Crisy you are the best. :sleep: Yea it is early and I should still be sleeping but can't wait to see what is going on in our club. ☀

11Car Seat Upholstery  Empty Re: Car Seat Upholstery on Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:05 am

ChristineFury

ChristineFury
CCC Member
CCC Member
Shocked MacGyver's sister at it again, you are an inventive genius.

12Car Seat Upholstery  Empty Re: Car Seat Upholstery on Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:31 pm

Carjunky

Carjunky
CCC Member
CCC Member
Laughing I can't take credit for the cotton trick. It is described in the book.
Next I added several thick layers of cotton.

Car Seat Upholstery  Pad

I ordered my fabric from SMS Auto Fabric and was pleased by the nice product and fast service. I also collected as many pics of Christine's and some other interiors as I could.

Car Seat Upholstery  Car001

Car Seat Upholstery  Car006-1

Other items needed are rope and scrim foam. After I made the patterns for the seat pads I cut my fabric and started sewing the pleats across the back. "tucks" Then sewed each one down to the foam. Add the tweed piece and stitched all the way around the outside edge.

Car Seat Upholstery  Car638

Car Seat Upholstery  Car635

Car Seat Upholstery  Car628

Car Seat Upholstery  Car631

Car Seat Upholstery  Car653

Car Seat Upholstery  Car654

Cut, pin, an sew a cover over some of the rope.

Car Seat Upholstery  Car486

Car Seat Upholstery  Car656

Car Seat Upholstery  Car657

night night Smile

13Car Seat Upholstery  Empty Re: Car Seat Upholstery on Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:59 am

Carjunky

Carjunky
CCC Member
CCC Member
Using the scrim foam "Pink stuff" makes it harder to work with but the smooth finished product makes it worth the extra work.

Center piece added.

Car Seat Upholstery  Car028

Seat

Car Seat Upholstery  Car485

Once the top and end pieces were on I started working on the top stitches. This looks nice and helps enforce the seams.

Car Seat Upholstery  Car678

Adding a narrow piece of fabric to the back add's to the strength of the seam.

Car Seat Upholstery  Car669

Car Seat Upholstery  Car680

Car Seat Upholstery  Car673

Car Seat Upholstery  Car623

Back panel

Car Seat Upholstery  Car692

Car Seat Upholstery  Car707

Car Seat Upholstery  Car708

I hope one picture is worth a thousand words like they say because I have more of them. Smile

14Car Seat Upholstery  Empty Re: Car Seat Upholstery on Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:59 am

Arnie1964

Arnie1964
CCC Member
CCC Member
When you have posted all your pic's I am going to print it off this time. Just a super job.

15Car Seat Upholstery  Empty Re: Car Seat Upholstery on Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:30 am

58plym

58plym
CCC Member
CCC Member
That is a good Ideal Jim Genious at work, Crisy yoiu shold have had an upholstery shop you would be a millionaire by now. Or you could work a secolund job as a cotton picker. Razz
Being serious Crisy, IO think we are going to have to buy you a Hoss hat, because your head is probly getting a lot biggerwith all these well deserved compliments. Smile

16Car Seat Upholstery  Empty Re: Car Seat Upholstery on Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:38 am

Big M

Big M
Administrator
Administrator
Great work, Chrissy!!

I never learned to do upholstery work, but luckily I had friends that did, and I could swap their talents for mine.

---John

17Car Seat Upholstery  Empty Re: Car Seat Upholstery on Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:36 am

Carjunky

Carjunky
CCC Member
CCC Member
Arnie1964 wrote:When you have posted all your pic's I am going to print it off this time. Just a super job.

Jim I have found most of them. I will not trust my PC to save any thing again. I will make some back up cd's. Thanks for liking my work. Smile

18Car Seat Upholstery  Empty Re: Car Seat Upholstery on Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:44 am

Carjunky

Carjunky
CCC Member
CCC Member
Big M wrote:Great work, Chrissy!!

I never learned to do upholstery work, but luckily I had friends that did, and I could swap their talents for mine.

---John

I know any one that got to swap talent's with you came out very well John because you have plenty of it. Hope to see more of your work soon.

19Car Seat Upholstery  Empty Re: Car Seat Upholstery on Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:52 am

Carjunky

Carjunky
CCC Member
CCC Member
58plym wrote:That is a good Ideal Jim Genious at work, Crisy yoiu shold have had an upholstery shop you would be a millionaire by now. Or you could work a secolund job as a cotton picker. Razz
Being serious Crisy, IO think we are going to have to buy you a Hoss hat, because your head is probly getting a lot biggerwith all these well deserved compliments. Smile

Laughing Yes I need a bigger hat Bob. Every one is very nice to me. A millionaire. WOW I guess I blew it. I was a doll maker and I am still poor. Neutral

20Car Seat Upholstery  Empty Re: Car Seat Upholstery on Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:28 am

Carjunky

Carjunky
CCC Member
CCC Member
Back to work. Here are some more pics to study.

Car Seat Upholstery  Car510

Car Seat Upholstery  Car508

Car Seat Upholstery  Car512

I bought this 1957 sewing machine and did most of the work and all the top stitches with it. It has a running foot connected to it to help pull the fabric through evenly. I newer heavy duty one would have made it all go so much better. Neutral

Car Seat Upholstery  Car386

Car Seat Upholstery  Car662

Car Seat Upholstery  Car666

21Car Seat Upholstery  Empty Re: Car Seat Upholstery on Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:41 am

58plym

58plym
CCC Member
CCC Member
You look so cute their Crisy sitting at the sewing machine. Very Happy

22Car Seat Upholstery  Empty Re: Car Seat Upholstery on Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:25 am

ChristineFury

ChristineFury
CCC Member
CCC Member
Those old sewing machines had some nice designs to them, they are all plastic now.

23Car Seat Upholstery  Empty Re: Car Seat Upholstery on Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:39 pm

Arnie1964

Arnie1964
CCC Member
CCC Member
Chrissy. What weight thread did you use? I have different colores of 160 den poly thread. Do you think it is heavy enough?

24Car Seat Upholstery  Empty Re: Car Seat Upholstery on Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:37 pm

Carjunky

Carjunky
CCC Member
CCC Member
Arnie1964 wrote:Chrissy. What weight thread did you use? I have different colores of 160 den poly thread. Do you think it is heavy enough?

I bought thread from Jo Anns Fabrics. It is 100% Polyester, indoor. out door, uv protected. Gutermann M782. If I take it in both hands and try to break it....I can't. Don't see a weight number on it. A heaver thread would have looked better for the top stitches but my machine couldn't handle it. You could get better advice from a regular pro or at a upholstery shop..... Did you order a book yet? I don't want to steer you wrong.

25Car Seat Upholstery  Empty Re: Car Seat Upholstery on Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:43 pm

Carjunky

Carjunky
CCC Member
CCC Member
ChristineFury wrote:Those old sewing machines had some nice designs to them, they are all plastic now.

Your right and the old ones lasted forever but the plastic ones are easier to move around. This baby is dead weight.

26Car Seat Upholstery  Empty Re: Car Seat Upholstery on Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:44 pm

Carjunky

Carjunky
CCC Member
CCC Member
58plym wrote:You look so cute their Crisy sitting at the sewing machine. Very Happy

Why thank you Sir Robert The Wise. Embarassed

27Car Seat Upholstery  Empty Re: Car Seat Upholstery on Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:18 pm

Carjunky

Carjunky
CCC Member
CCC Member
Next I placed the spring down on top of the cover. I had to kneel on top of it in order to squish it down and pull the fabric tight enough to get the clamps in place. Then I added lots of hog noes rings to keep it nice and tight.

Car Seat Upholstery  Car594

Car Seat Upholstery  Car595

Car Seat Upholstery  Car600

Car Seat Upholstery  Car601

The back rest gets pulled down and attached with more rings.

Car Seat Upholstery  Car711

Front seat frame.

Car Seat Upholstery  Car759

I covered the lower area of the frame with vinyl on the ends that show.

Car Seat Upholstery  Car775

Car Seat Upholstery  Car778

Car Seat Upholstery  Car772

Back seat

Car Seat Upholstery  Car612

Still need to add a ashtray to the back of the front seat. Just remembered when I looked at the picture. Smile

28Car Seat Upholstery  Empty Re: Car Seat Upholstery on Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:10 pm

58plym

58plym
CCC Member
CCC Member
Dang Crisy , you have a CCC Jacket, man that is nice. Very Happy

29Car Seat Upholstery  Empty Re: Car Seat Upholstery on Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:50 pm

Big M

Big M
Administrator
Administrator
What nice work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

---John

30Car Seat Upholstery  Empty Re: Car Seat Upholstery on Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:26 pm

58plym

58plym
CCC Member
CCC Member
Crisy I can look at those seats 1000 times and I don't see a wrinkle in them. Smile

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum